SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Not your average 760...

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  snolbaj 
#1 ·
My buddy picked this up recently:

This isn't your high school teacher's Volvo...unless they liked fast sleepers.

Mustang 5.0, chipped, exhaust, built C6 auto with neck-snapping shift kit, IPD springs, Bilsteins, IPD swaybars, 17" Hock R's with SP8000's, Momo steering wheel, custom paint, etc.

Power slides on freeway on-ramps in leather-lined, climate controlled, power assisted comfort.

And for dessert...

5 Carver amps pumping out 900+ watts, 12" Kicker Solobaric, JBL separates F/R, AudioControl 4xs crossover and 3 Carver image processing units. friggin unreal sound quality and jet-engine deafness SPL.

I won't tell you the price; it'll just make you sick.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Not your average 760... (Poritz)

C'mon now.

You would really argue that removing the POS boat anchor PRV V6 from that otherwise fine piece of Swedish engineering was a BAD decision?

Those engines were flawed from day one, and never got any better with use. Trust me--ask any 260-series owner who had to have their dashboard pulled so that the bad cams could be removed.

Not to mention, near-bulletproof Ford reliability (motor with 50k on it, rebuilt no-brainer AT) and 100 more HP.

If it was a 2.3L turbo? I'd agree with you. But it wasn't.

#4 ·
Re: Not your average 760... (SeattleGLI)

Quote, originally posted by SeattleGLI »
C'mon now.

You would really argue that removing the POS boat anchor PRV V6 from that otherwise fine piece of Swedish engineering was a BAD decision?

Those engines were flawed from day one, and never got any better with use. Trust me--ask any 260-series owner who had to have their dashboard pulled so that the bad cams could be removed.

Not to mention, near-bulletproof Ford reliability (motor with 50k on it, rebuilt no-brainer AT) and 100 more HP.

If it was a 2.3L turbo? I'd agree with you. But it wasn't.

yeah i can see waht both of yall mean but the engine is replace witha better engine evevn though it is not a volvo engine it still is a quality car. I would feel proud just to see such a car with a 5.0 Mustang engine. I really don't like mustang but with the engine in a Volvo, thats pretty badass.

#9 ·
Re: Not your average 760... (Volvord 784VC)

Quote, originally posted by Volvord 784VC »
No offence taken.
.... but then again is the PVR V6 really a Volvo engine ????
.... how about the diesel, no not Volvo either.

Oh well, everyone has their preference and I sure found mine

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif good point. I think you got him there

#10 ·
Re: Not your average 760... (Megadeth850)

The 5.0 badging is coming off the car ASAP.

The D24/D24T diesel/turbodiesel motors were VW/Audi motors, also used in the LT70 series cargo/delivery/camper vans.

The PRV V6, which is what this car originally had, was a total pile of steaming dog poop. Trust me, the original owner did it a favor by having that weakling yanked from under the hood.

They had no redeeming virtues whatsoever, in stark contrast to the Volvo B18/20/21/23 series motors.

#12 ·

The PRV V6, which is what this car originally had, was a total pile of steaming dog poop. Trust me, the original owner did it a favor by having that weakling yanked from under the hood.

They had no redeeming virtues whatsoever, in stark contrast to the Volvo B18/20/21/23 series motors.

The final iteration (B280) PRV was an OK motor (no longer a cam-eating, odd-fire monster), but your point is certainly valid - you can't have fun with that V6 (unless your name is John Lane!
)

Any modification that makes the car 'better' - faster, higher handling limits, better looking, even better audio - and doesn't take away the Volvo goodness regarding safety, stability, good taste, etc... is fine with me.

#13 ·

I'm turbocharging my nonturbo wagon for the summer but this winter I'm yanking the 4-cylinder to pave way for a 5.0l. I've built many a 4 cylinders and have lots of faith in them but the fact remains that a built 4 cylinder (that is as fast as the V8, at least in this instance) will not be nearly as reliable as a mildly modded 5.0L. You may not see it as a true Volvo but you will most likely get to see its tail lights.
I have a friend in town that owns one of the true "Monster Miatas" (built by Monster Motorsports) who has caught mild grief for the car. For those that arent familiar it is a Miata with a 5.0L V8 from a mustang in it. They are extremely quick and actually still handle pretty well. She also owns a Turbo miata which she has tuned to 34~BHP (all of it being their own work). The turbo car is pretty damn reliable for what it is but unfortunately it is a very highly tuned car and is prone to problems. The Monster is a pretty stock V8 with a few mods and it is "almost" as fast as the turbo car (I think they would be close on the highway, Turbo would still win). She has plans to supercharge the Monster which will surely make it surpass the Turbo car in straightline performance. Actually, she and her fiance both have new Lotus Elise's on order so they are trying to sell the Miatas and an RX7. If anyone is interested drop me an email and I can put you in touch with them.
I just figured that's a similar situation. Thats pretty much why I've decided on the 5.0L route (although I still want to build a turbo 245).

#15 ·

With the right combination of parts, the B28 based motor has done in excess of 500ft-lbs torque with the capability for much more.

It's only a POS if it's not taken care of. Abuse it like a 4cyl, and it will hurt your pocket. That's a big reason why it didn't "work" as a Volvo motor. Plus the B27 WAS bad and got the whole bad rep started, which continues through to the B280F even though that's a fine engine.

#19 ·

did I miss something on the thread? how many miles was on the car, because 5 grand isn't that far off the mark if the car and engine had high miles and was tired. I couldn't tell from the pictures as to condition. If it was one owner, under 100k miles and the leather was clean and supple, then it was a great price. But conversion cost a lot to build and then are hard to sell... I know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.