SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

My 91' 740 is dying

897 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Volvord 784VC 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

My 91' 740 seems to die every once in a while when I am coming to a stop or slowing down. It idles really ruff sometimes. Like the whole car seems like it is shaking. I thought it might have been the fuel injectors so I put some cleaner in the gas tank ran it through, but it really didn't help. I have changed the fuel filter, but still the problem persisted. I took it into my mechanic but they really couldn't figure it out. (note: my mechanic only works on Volvo's and BMW's so it is not like I took it to billy bob down the street) I have also ran a "complete fuel system cleaner" through, but that didn't help either.

I was also wondering if this car was made in a lemon year? I didn't know if someone could help me in find that out. I have had to do a lot of work to this car. I have replaced the transmission and some other stuff too.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

#2 ·
Re: My 91' 740 is dying (leemiller)

Its weird you mention that. Because recently when it would rain, and i would come to a complete stop it would have trouble injecting the fuel (i guess) it would just kinda shake and almost stall. I would have to slam the gas down to get it going. Once it did stall in the middle of the intersection. Any advice to what this could be?

#3 ·
Re: My 91' 740 is dying (leemiller)

Many things can cause this, but initially I would check;
- cap, rotor, coil for cracks, carbon tracks, dirt and moisture. Really the general state of tune
- High tension wires (plug wires)
- throttle body for cleanliness
- condition and cleanliness of the IAM (idle air motor)

These were definitly not lemon years, literally all the bugs were worked out by 1991.

Try those items and good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.