SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New car - how to protect

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  djeuch 
#1 ·
Manual says to only hand-wash for the first 6 months (won't be using my power washer!). My questions:

- Carnauba wax?
- Auto polish? (Astroshield Silicone polymer?)
- Anything else?

Want to protect my new investment when she arrives!

#2 ·
Re: New car - how to protect (djeuch)

I think you'll get mixed answers. Many people tend not to wax new cars at all because the paint is apparently softer and needs time to set. Plus the factory finish should not require immediate waxing.
On the other hand many people feel the paint is hard enough and looking at the date the car was made the paint should be set already, so it should be safe to add that extra layer of protection.
It is really your call, I haven't heard of anyone hurting their new car finish from waxing their new auto, but maybe take some extra care.
Waxing your car is like forplay before taking it out! You soon know every curve designed into the beautiful body as it slips through the wind!

#4 ·
Re: New car - how to protect (Ozvol)

It does no good to wax a car, even a brand new car with a wax only product. It needs to be poished first to deep clean the surface and remove any contamination that washing missed. I've polished and waxed my 02 S60 since delivery. I used Pinacle Glanz first but switched to BlackFire Paint Protectant, both give excellent shine but the BlackFire is longer lasting.

#6 ·
Re: New car - how to protect (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
Whatever you do, do the washing and cleaning yourself. Don't ever take it to the carwash!!!

In the winter, I used to do that... but with those huge "R" wheels (and the rubber won't protect the wheel!) I'm afraid an auto-car wash would scuff up the wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.