SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Help 740 losing power bigtime.....

633 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ol'skool 
#1 ·
My car got a problem, it cant be sprayed with water to the engine whatsoever (seldom drive it when it rains). After finding out that the problem is with a leaking distributor cap, I replace it so now even if i spray the engine with water it still can start and run. But the problem arises after replacing the cap, above 3000rpm my car now sounds like the engine is breaking up to pieces and the rev climb very (and i mean very) slowly even after kickdown. It took a long time to reach 5000 in 2nd. When i first had the car it was not like that, the car was quite "rev happy". Besides no top end power whatsoever the car got a good low end torque, I cant seem to launch the car properly as the it kept on spinning wheel (it's a 205/65/15 tyre). At first i thought it's okay. but after driving for a couple of while, I find quite dangerous since i cant overtake other cars fast enough. So whats wrong with my car? I send back the car to the mechanic they say it way okay and theres nothing wrong with it(distributor cap and engine).
BTW my car got like 250,000 kilometer on the odo and the engine have never been rebuilt(or overhaul).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.