SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S90 maintenance

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  omega6_virus 
#1 ·
First post here....I'm used to working on fords, so excuse my ignorance.....I own a 2001 mustang...anyway...

My girlfriend has a 97/98 S90. Her manual says 97 but every dealer she has been too says it's a 97.5. I think I've figured out that the s90 is just a name change for the 964?

I've been trying to find out more about the car. Like the engine and transmission type and names, etc. Any help here?

The car has 66,xxx miles now. Other than the oil and filter changes, nothing else has really been done that I know of. Right now, I am looking to change the spark plugs and probably the transmission fluid and filter. Anything else I should replace? What kind of plugs are good in these cars? Is it just like mine, platinum for longevity and copper for "performance"? What about the transimssion fluid and filter....is there even a filter in there?

#2 ·
Re: S90 maintenance (Blivit)

I strongly recommend you go here:

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/...0-V90

and read everything you can. All the info you seek can be found there. Also, surf over to their 700/900 Series FAQ. It has much maintenance info on the 960/S90.

I hope this is your best girlfriend 'cause these are very nice cars but a little maintenance intensive. You're going to be spending some quality time with her car. Her car is fairly low miles and so probably has not had a timing belt changed yet. DO NOT neglect to get this done at 70,000 miles.

Other tips: check the condition of the pcv system and piping. The seals on the engine are prone to leak if there are any pcv clogs. Change oil frequently; I would use synthetic. Flush the cooling system and use Volvo coolant (comes in a white bottle with a blue label from the dealer) and distilled water. The plastic hose fittings on the radiator end-tanks are VERY brittle. Careful with them when you remove hoses and do not over-tighten clamps. Bleed and refill brakes if you have no evidence it has been done. Flushing trans is a great idea in these cars although I don't think there is a filter that needs changed. The flushing procedures are listed on the FAQ mentioned above. I used AMSOIL Universal sythetic ATF. Plugs are under individual coil units under the platic cover on top of the engine. Easy enough to get at after undoing a few torx screws and bolts. I use NGK but Bosch would be good too. Copper or Platinum, your preference.

The engine is sturdy enough but does not like to be mis-treated. These cars are known for sometimes having an unusual and problematic suspension design, but so far, I have had no problems in that area. Make sure sun-roof drains are not clogged and when gasket is no longer soft and pliable, get it replaced.

Well, what are you staring at? Get your tools out and get over to your girlfriends house and get busy!!!

#3 ·
Re: S90 maintenance (PWSchuh)

Thanks a lot for that site, that will help out a lot. I really wish though that it had some pictures for reference.

I have read many places that the timing belt needs to be changed. I'm just not sure this is something I want to tackle myself. It's just intimidating knowing that some serious damage could be caused by not getting the timing marks right. Is it really as difficult as I've been reading? If I were to take it somewhere, how much might it cost?

Is it possible to get a k&n air filter for these cars? This is the only filter I will use on my mustang. I looked it up on the k&n website and they only had a number listed for a "97 and up S90 3.0L" I thought the engine was 2.9L?

The sunroof is broken as well. Guess I have to look into that.

I would love to head over and work on her car, only she lives 5 hours away:(

#4 ·

The timing belt on this engine is actually not that difficult compared to some engines, but, as you said, it's not something you want to screw up. If you've done a timing belt successfully before (on another car) I wouldn't be afraid of this one. If you haven't, let the dealer or a qualified Volvo independent mech do it for you. Get some estimates, but it shouldn't take long for an experienced Volvo mech.

Yes, that's the right K&N filter. 2.9L... 3L... it's the same engine, they just rounded up the number.

#5 ·
Re: S90 maintenance (PWSchuh)

The 960 was a '92 - '97 model ('91- in other parts of the world), and the S90/V90 series took over from '97.5 - '98. I don't believe there was any major change, but the 90 series is better. The early 960's were not so hot, but they got better and better, and by '98 they were quite good cars just as Volvo eliminated the line.

#6 ·

Quote, originally posted by Blivit »
My girlfriend has a 97/98 S90. Her manual says 97 but every dealer she has been too says it's a 97.5. I think I've figured out that the s90 is just a name change for the 964?
That's exactly right. My mothers S90 has similar mileage, and my fathers 97 960 has a little more. We have been into the dealer to get my mothers speedometer replaced and the dealer mechanic mentioned nothing about any other maintenance that should be done.
Good luck though, and nice car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.