SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Air Conditioning a 544

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnW63 
#1 ·
I'm looking for information and feedback from anyone who has installed an AC system in a 544. I am familiar with the after-market systems that street rodders use, so that is one option. However, there is alyways someone who is creative using available parts with some modifications.

John Lampert

#2 ·
Re: Air Conditioning a 544 (lampertjg)

Welcome (back) to Swedespeed, John.

Did you ever resolve this situation?...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=89352

BTW, how much was the ticket? (30-over in a 25 = $$$)

What year is the engine block in the 544?

Is the head original to the engine?

What modifications from original have been made under the hood?

Are you running 6 volts with a generator?

BION, Sears had an add-on AC for the 544 back in late '60's.

Once we have more info on your car we will offer some AC solutions to include a modern, light and efficient compressor running R134-a.

George Dill

#3 ·
Re: Air Conditioning a 544 (gdill2)

About the S70 problem, I should have posted the solution a long time ago. It was a bad MAS. I bought a known good used one for $40 and it fixed the problem and is still working. My wife's WRX problem was solved with $120 and no reported violation, but she has to go three years without a moving violation. So far she is doing OK.

About the 544, we do not have one yet, so I am gathering information. I prefer the later years, but that is not always an option. When we finish our massive home renovations, all the stuff stored in my workshop will be bake in the house or gone. We're not looking for a car to restore, but want one that is at least a 3 out of 5 condition. My wife likes the appearance of the PV's as well as liking Volvos. She found me a 1978 245 in which I installed a Converse Engineering V-8 conversion. However, it was too much power for her, so she rarely drove it and now someone else has it.

#4 ·

A'Shoppin' we will go, a...

Some more dumb ?'s...

Budget? (low and high)
How far to travel to drive/trailer car back home?
Any personal mechanical experience with red-block cars (B16,18,20)?
What will the PV be - daily-driver, weekend fun, show car...?
Who will drive the car? (manual trans)
Do you have a work space to lay up the PV for extended periods?

MDQL.

George Dill

#6 ·

George,

Budget: $10M max. We would like to be able to drive it back, but how far will depend on the "Gotta Have It" factor. I'm not opposed to shipping it. When I was considering my son's highly modified(supercharged) Miata, shipping from Dallas (McKinney) was about $650 for an open car hauler. The Miata is still available. He also has a Ducati Monster(130HP) for sale with under 1M miles. Married life has caused some priority shifts. I have no experience with these cars. I do have good mechanical skills and usually do all my own work, but have not done any engine rebuilding recently, but could. Use will be for weekend fun and some daily use. We both will drive it and want a 4-speed. All our cars have been 4-speeds. We have a 24 x 32 workshop, one bay of which is for the WRX.

John Lampert

#7 ·

Quote, originally posted by lampertjg »
I'm looking for information and feedback from anyone who has installed an AC system in a 544. I am familiar with the after-market systems that street rodders use, so that is one option. However, there is alyways someone who is creative using available parts with some modifications.

John Lampert

I have sold compressor brackets for the newer Sanden compressors to 544 owners (sorry 444 ownes can't do them due to the hood hinges) and the engine can be a B18 or B20. The balance of the system can be had from numerous sources like Vintage Air and Old Air Product in TX and Nostalgic Air Parts in FL. All have web sites.

#9 ·

George,

I've seen that ad before. It looks nice, but we are not ready to buy until our house renovation is close to complete. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible, so that we can make a good choice. I really appreciate all of the information.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.