PDA

View Full Version : HID Help!

Paysts
06-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Hi. I recieved my package containing HID bulbs that I am going to install into the fog lamps. The problem is that the HID bulb is too long! I double checked the regular bulb against the HID bulb, noting that the HID bulb is longer in from the seating surface to the end of the bulb. Because of this, the HID bulb crashes into the little reflector inside the fog lamp. I have brand new fog lamps on my table, so it's not an issue of me having the wrong angle while underneath the car.

I'm very confused because my order says an H1 bulb, but I didn't get an invoice in the box from the company I bought it with, DDM Tuning. Any help? Thanks!!!

BoostFreak
06-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Normally aftermarket hid's dont fit in factory fog lights... the H1 bulb style is the shape and plug style not the length of the bulb...

NJGreenBudd
06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
This is common when fitting a bulb that doesn't being in the housing. It's not meant to go in there so no surprise it doesn't fit. What are your options? Take apart the housing and trim/remove the reflector? Then you'll have foglights throwing light all over the place except for on the road where it belongs.

Honestly man, if you really need HID you should retrofit a projector type housing meant for them into your stock fog location. That way they fit and perform as they should.

Dextrobrick
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
One can't just stuff an HID capsule into any headlight or foglight housing and hope that the reflector will automagically focus the light produced. Which is to say that the position of the HID capsule in relation to the focal point of the reflector--both parabolic and projector light housings employ a reflector--is absolutely critical if the head/fog light is to produce useful light. A projector light housing will be every bit as useless as a parabolic light housing if no attempt is made to ensure proper focus.

NJGreenBudd
06-04-2010, 02:02 PM
A projector light housing will be every bit as useless as a parabolic light housing if no attempt is made to ensure proper focus.

Which I exactly why I said "retrofit a projector type housing meant for them" and not just any old 'projector' housing. Sure you can find 'projector' housings of all types and quality, from high quality units intended for halogen bulbs to low quality hid type units. What would be the most productive thing to do would be to source an HID projector fog light and matching bulbs from another model or make and modify the mounting to fit the S60. I didn't mean to imply any 'projector' housing would suffice.

;)

Paysts
06-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies! I am going to remove the reflector in the fog lamp and just aim the new light pattern as best as I can. If not, I guess the only thing I could do would be to weld in additional material to get the reflector to clear the fog lamp, but that seems like a last resort.

Oh, and NJGreenBudd, please check your personal mesage. I barely read it today. Thanks.

Which I exactly why I said "retrofit a projector type housing meant for them" and not just any old 'projector' housing. Sure you can find 'projector' housings of all types and quality, from high quality units intended for halogen bulbs to low quality hid type units. What would be the most productive thing to do would be to source an HID projector fog light and matching bulbs from another model or make and modify the mounting to fit the S60. I didn't mean to imply any 'projector' housing would suffice.

;)

bpray9223
06-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies! I am going to remove the reflector in the fog lamp and just aim the new light pattern as best as I can.

That's what I did :) have had them like that for over 6 months and no issues. The light output is plenty for the rare occasions I use them. My fog lights put out more light than my stock halogen headlights.

Paysts
06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I got the HID fog lights to work! They are absoutely beautiful. I sooo need pictures up. I didn't mess with the sockets in the back. I just stuck the HID bulbs in, and sealed them up, without having to mess around with the stock socket. I simply got the positive and negative terminals on the kit and shaved them down so that they fit into the stock harness! Has anybody every installed them like this?

I want to put 35W HIDs into the headlights, because 55W HIDs are going to be quite bright. Can I just hook up the postive and negative terminals of the HIDs to the stock harness?

diablo2828
06-18-2010, 12:16 PM
If u have HIDs like i do stock on the T5, you can get replacement bulbs for $15 from ddmtuning.com Otherwise. the bulb/ballast package is like 50 or 60 buks. Eitherway, lifetime warranty and good price cant turn that down.