SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

940 stalling

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  volvo 
#1 ·
got a 91 940 gle, thats starting to stall when I stop at a stop sign or traffic light, it stalls with no warning, and sometimes it takes a few minutes to get it started again. Other than that, it runs fine, no loss of power, no vibrations, nothing. Any suggestions (I'm going to clean the throttle body tonight), and, what (RPM's) should the car be idling at?
Thanks.

#3 ·
Re: 940 stalling (volvo)

Problem solved - car finally died in our garage, wouldn't start. Checked the fuel pump relay, OK, had plenty of fuel flow. Had no reason to think it wasn't getting any air, so I checked for a spark. Removed the coil wire from the distributor cap, and, no spark! I figured it was the coil. Ran down to the local Volvo dealer for a new coil........... none in stock. As I was leaving I starting asking the service writer if there was anything else to check, he called a mechanic out who listened to my story and said it probably wasn't the coil, but the bell housing speed sensor (like I had a clue what & where that was). He suggested I try that, I bought one, installed it (no fun, mechanics working on that car must have to have small hands) turned the key, and it started!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.