SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Volvo has already built S40R cars!!!

8K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  VolvoMax 
#1 ·
I don't know if the decision to sell them has been made but I just came from my dealership (Volvo Irvine) and they had a couple of Ti Gray S40 T5s in the service drive. These were VERY nice as they had the sports kit with the very nice wheels.

I spoke to one of the gents and he told me they've already had a couple of S40Rs in and out of service from headquarters (in Irvine) as well. Apparently they're quite hard to get your hands on...

He wasn't sure of the specs but I'm VERY NERVOUS.

I just bought a S60R last month and if the S40R has the same specs on a smaller chassis I'll be
Argghh...
I bought my R for autocross potential and I'll kick myself if a lighter smaller package with better handling appears already from Volvo....

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (Ozvol)

I know some of the folks at Volvo Irvine have already driven them in the recent past. I don't know where or how many. I know a tech said they haven't been trained yet so I don't think they'll be on sales for at least a couple more months? Of course, that didn't stop them from selling the S80 in 1998 when they did so you never know..

#6 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (psycho-)

There was another guy on here (forget his name) that has driven some S40 T5 Euro-specs in NY as he works for a Volvo dealer there.

Possibly they are just out to have an information presentation for the sales and tech folks.

As for the S40R, I have heard there have been some that were in testing. Would be interesting that they would ship some to the States and let some dealers test them. There is a demand for the S40R/V50R so I guess they are just preparing themselves. I just wonder what the price would come in as.

#7 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (rollie)

rollie,

what you saw were not S40 Rs but rather S40 T5s with the Sport kit (skirts, spoilers, 18" alloys, etc.).

And these cars did not belong to Volvo of Irvine or any other retailer. They belong to VCNA and they are pre-production cars.

Yannis

#8 ·

I actually think the S60 market may be in for a lowered blip on the selling scale. The S40 looks sportier, has (from magazines and on-line pictures) a very nice interior, dual exhaust (tips on either side), nice wing, agressive styling and the inside space is pretty close to the S60.

This is personally killing me too. I'd rather have the S60R engine in the tighter smaller package of the S40. Not to mention saving about $5k - $10K (closer to $5k).

I'm surprised that they put such improved styling into the S40 MkII and didn't update the S60R much as compared to the S60.

Comments???

#9 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (g-s)

Quote, originally posted by g-s »
I actually think the S60 market may be in for a lowered blip on the selling scale. The S40 looks sportier, has (from magazines and on-line pictures) a very nice interior, dual exhaust (tips on either side), nice wing, agressive styling and the inside space is pretty close to the S60.

S60 sales will suffer, a little, in 2004 and we expect that.

Quote »
I'm surprised that they put such improved styling into the S40 MkII and didn't update the S60R much as compared to the S60.

Comments???

Everything cannot be timed "perfectly". There will be a minor facelift very soon and expect a redesigned S60 within 2 years...

Yannis

#10 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (GrecianVolvo)

Hi Yannis. I guess the 'as well' portion of my message wasn't as clear as it could have been.

It was well known that these are VCNA cars (their HQ building is a couple miles away from the dealership so you get to see all types of interesting toys from time to time.)

Also, I thought I was clear but maybe not - the cars I saw were obvious T5 models. It was the folks I know at the dealership who told me they had already had S40Rs pass through and they're very popular with the staff...

Thanks.

#12 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (psycho-)

I'd be REALLY surprised if S40Rs were out there. REALLY surprised.

Every indication I have of the R on that car is that it is wait and see on how the cars sell.

The cars you saw were probably press event cars. VCNA has about 20 of them in Irvine right now for the domestic press event that is taking place this week in LA.

George

#13 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (George@Swedespeed)

They were fairly emphatic about the S40Rs belonging to VCNA in Irvine. I've seen a few things there including XC90 Premieres, XC90 with RSE (I saw this last week and it belongs to VCC President), etc. that belong to Volvo Cars. Their proximity to North American HQ means they end up servicing all sort of things including models that may or may not end up here, test mules, etc.

I doubt these were press cars as that would be premature in advance of a decision to actually build S40Rs.

Thanks.

#14 ·

Quote, originally posted by rollie »

I doubt these were press cars as that would be premature in advance of a decision to actually build S40Rs.

Let me be the one to put a proverbial "fork" in this thread.

There is absolutely NO such thing as an S40R. It is not coming out of the factories, nor is it even on the drawing board at this time. Volvo Irvine evidently has NO clue what they're talking about.

#15 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (Volvofan)

I would agree with VOLVOFAN; sometimes dealer techs/mangers refers to cars based on kits, wheels, upgraded options, etc. But is it an OFFICIAL S40R, I doubt it!! They probably meant, "this is the equalivent of an S40R," since it has the T5 motor and other goodies

#16 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (GT854T5)

No, no, no...they weren't saying the S40 T5s in the service drives were the equivalent of S40Rs. They were saying that they've already had some cars badged as S40Rs in for service. That's not to say they were right or wrong though. I will also mention mike_c70's post where a Volvo tech mentioned a few S40Rs sitting in port as well. That is not to say these are real 'R's vs. just a car for pictures as someone suggested earlier but why would there be so many rebadged cars for pictures?

My gut says these are real 'R' cars that are all destined for VCNA in Irvine for various execs to test. I don't know if they would have the same spec as the 'S60R' but it's certainly possible as we already know they mated the S60R's tranny and the inline 5 fits... If I were to take a GUESS I would say they would produce a S40R and detune it to about 275 - 280 hp or so until the S60R gets upgraded.

Thanks.

#17 ·

If such a car does exist, my guess is that it can not or will not have the S60R/V70R's B5254-T4 engine in it because it would not fit.

The only way it would seemingly work would be to have a modified version of the current S40 T5 RN engine that is being produced. Possibly using a different turbo, ECU, exhaust, etc. The HP would indeed undercut the current R's.

-Drew

#18 ·

Quote, originally posted by rollie »
No, no, no...they weren't saying the S40 T5s in the service drives were the equivalent of S40Rs. They were saying that they've already had some cars badged as S40Rs in for service. That's not to say they were right or wrong though. I will also mention mike_c70's post where a Volvo tech mentioned a few S40Rs sitting in port as well. That is not to say these are real 'R's vs. just a car for pictures as someone suggested earlier but why would there be so many rebadged cars for pictures?

My gut says these are real 'R' cars that are all destined for VCNA in Irvine for various execs to test. I don't know if they would have the same spec as the 'S60R' but it's certainly possible as we already know they mated the S60R's tranny and the inline 5 fits... If I were to take a GUESS I would say they would produce a S40R and detune it to about 275 - 280 hp or so until the S60R gets upgraded.

Thanks.

Badged? From Sweden? Impossible. They wouldn't allow them out of the factory. The only way these cars are appearing with "R" badges on the deck lid is if some "ricer" catches the truck between the port and the dealership and puts them on himself.

Could anyone substantiate this claim with a photo? I don't want to sound bitchy but I sincerely doubt it.

There are NO R cars in S40 or V50 trim!! You will see a C-range R car before you'll see one in the 40 or 50!!

#19 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (Drew@Swedespeed)

The T5 AWD has all except the few extra horses.
The bare RNC engine probably doesn't differ that much so it's all up to compression ratio, cooling and turbo characteristics.
Given the weight 260-270 HP would be about max else it would outperform the P2X R.

Throw in some Atacame and there's your R. I hope they refrain from using 4C though..

#20 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (Johann)

If they were Rs, I'd be surprised if they looked any different from a standard S40, except for maybe the chin spoiler.... if they were testing the platform... the motor in that car, 4C or whatever else that car might have. That'd be especially the case since the better part of half of the motoring press is based out of Southern California.

That said, I do know that it is a popular request for Volvo and that if the car sold, they would definitely consider it. Perhaps they've been playing with an S40 or two to see what the concept might package out like. VCNA has their skunk works in Irvine, so building something to get an idea (much like their S60 challenge racecar built to look like the new Speed GT-Rs) might have been possible. I'd still be surprised if they sent the cars to a dealer though... but you never know.

Did you or can you ask the techs if the cars had R motor/4C and how they looked different besides the R badge?

#21 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (Volvofan)

Quote, originally posted by Volvofan »

There are NO R cars in S40 or V50 trim!! You will see a C-range R car before you'll see one in the 40 or 50!!

Absolutely. I talked to two different people I know (at Irvine and NJ) today and they were definitely "WTF"?

Rollie, whoever told you that they saw the they were either dreaming about them or they were flat out lying in order to "impress" you.

And if (a BIG "if") Volvo were testing some mules they wouod NEVER (and I emphasize "NEVER") have badged them.

If someone told me that they were spying in the Arizona proving grounds and saw something like that, I might believe them.

Yannis

#22 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »

Given the weight 260-270 HP would be about max else it would outperform the P2X R.

Absolutely! I, totally, agree. That is why we will never see an S40 R while the S60 R is in its present form/power set up. It would definitely be quicker than the S60 R and if it had 300 hp, it would TROUNCE the current R.

Yannis

#23 ·
Not to flame anyone, but I suspect whomever told you about them testing the R is smoking something, and its not tobacco.

If one was coming out soon I'd probably wait as well, but I'm not willing to wait 9+ months for the MT/AWD S40, much less an S40R (MY 2006 at the earliest).

#24 ·
Re: Volvo has already built S40R cars!!! (GrecianVolvo)

Could be...I thought it odd that someone would see and possibly be in a S40R and not be able to tell me what type of engine setup it had...that's one of the first things I would check out.

#25 ·
I'm not saying anything regarding whether there will be or is an S40R, but I wanted to talk a bit more about the comments that, if it DID come to pass, how it would stack up to the S60R.

Why is there a problem if it was quicker than the 60? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn the S60T5 could spank the S80T6. Is that not correct??

#26 ·
Re: (Qbrozen)

Quote, originally posted by Qbrozen »
I'm not saying anything regarding whether there will be or is an S40R, but I wanted to talk a bit more about the comments that, if it DID come to pass, how it would stack up to the S60R.

Why is there a problem if it was quicker than the 60? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn the S60T5 could spank the S80T6. Is that not correct??

The "R-Series" are supposed to be Volvo's "Halo" cars, so I guess that the S40R would be one step below the S60R in "paper" performance. Although, the S40R could very well outhandle the S60R. Same way with the current M3 and M5.

Possibly the same reason why the CLK55 (362HP), E55 (469HP), and S55, SL55, CL55 (493HP) AMG's all make different HP's despite using the the same 5.5 liter 24 valve V8. It's all about marketing and product positioning.

-Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.