SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New Turbo in my 9

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  anony00gt 
#1 ·
After having the stock Garrett turbo in the car for the past 13 years, I finally decided to upgrade to the Mitsubishi version which gives an additional 26 ponies and 11 pounds of thrust. Well the difference is well worth the money spent. Its no racer, but it is substantially better than it was last week. The older turbo had 162 hp and now we have 188. Torque is also up to a nice 206. It still only has 150k but runs like a top and this new addition just gave me reason to enjoy it that much more.

#4 ·
Re: New Turbo in my 9 (vinmanC32)

Where did you get the idea that you gained 26hp? Was the car put on a dyno? How much boost did you use before with the Garrett, and after with the Mitsu? Which garrett did you replace, and with which Mitsu?

The TD04-13c shouldn't be much different than the T25 originally on the '91 940SE, unless you cranked up the boost on the Mitsu. Both are small, undersized turbos meant to spool up fast and give little lag. They work well on the stock system because they don't have to make a lot of boost, and the stock cam is very restrictive at high rpm, as is the turbo.

#5 ·
Re: New Turbo in my 9 (towerymt)

Had it dyno-ed over the weekend and you are right... I didnt gain much power. Maybe a few but still at about 165 hp with 198lbft.. That is the estimate from the place I went to after they determined what was at the wheels. Seems much more although the car is old and a new one would seem better. I should have gotten the Garrett in hindsight but I will live with the Mitsu.. Seems like this one gives better power off the line but the other may have been better at higher speeds. The Garrett is the original turbo on this car but this one was recommended by my mechanic so I went with it. Wrong..... learned my lesson.

#7 ·
Re: New Turbo in my 9 (Turbo16psi)

Actually stock engine should have 162hp and 195lb. There is a version of the Mitsu that puts out 188 and 208 respectively but, Im not aware of him putting this in. Im going back on Thurs and will find out what he put in here since it feels much stronger now than before. Whatever he did, is sure alot of fun. This is the only thing I have had done other than adding a K&N filter. Not sure that did much but felt a little better. I was told it breathes better than the stock air filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.