SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S90 winter mode

985 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  S.R. 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience or tips for getting the best out of the 90's winter mode? I engaged it this morning as the snow fell - seemed to lessen the rear-wheel slippage but I wanted to know if I should leave it on all the time or just when experiencing difficulties - and how useful is it going to be as the weather gets worse?

Thanks

#2 ·
Winter mode works great in slippery conditions such as rain, snow, or ice. What this mode does, is basically start your car off in 3rd gear rather than first gear. The RPM's will go up much higher than usual to start moving the car. You should always leave your car in normal mode, and only use winter mode when necessary. If you come to a stop and feel your rear wheels might slip, just press the "W" button and you should be fine. If your car has traction control also, you should generally be alright for the winter.

Winter mode is not going to get you out of the worse conditions, but it will help you out. The 960/S90 also has an automatic rear center locking differential, which also helps to get out of slippery conditions. If one wheel starts to spin, it will automatically lock both rear wheels together. The best thing you can do for winter is to have good tires with lots of traction.

-Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.