SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S90 Brake Problems

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Washington Irving 
#1 ·
Help! My wife's 97-1/2 S90 goes through brake rotors like they were butter. 3 sets in 50,000 miles and she is not a hard driver. I'm looking for heavy-duty brake rotors and pads. Last time Volvo replaced the pads they put on taxicab pads which promptly ate up the soft rotors.
I use Performance Friction Carbon Fiber brake pads on my cars but they don't make them for S90s. Does anyone know of an equivalent? Use Brembo rotors for my other cars - does anyone know of an equivalent rotor for S90s?

#3 ·
That sounds like there is onother problem. I have a 940 that does not have that problem. I would be surprised if your vehicle does not have the same or similar brembo rotors as mine.

Did the dealer do all three brake jobs? Do they think that is normal? Since they do rotors in pairs, do you know if just one was in need of replacement? The same one? If one caliper does not "let go" all the time, it could be dragging. Similar to driving with the emergency brake. Everybody has done that and not noticed for a while, especially in traffic when you are on the brakes more and not able to accellerate much. That dealer or garage better have a good reason for doing so many brake jobs in a short time. I think with parts and labor, you probably paid $400 - $450 each time. Soft rotors sounds like a dopey reason for all that time and money.

They could be getting warped due to a similar caliper problem or drastic change in temp. If your dealer is like mine, they wouldn't tell you they were warped, they would tell you they need to be replaced. Terms like "warped" are too technical and might confuse the customer, who is generally treated as a child. Details of the reason for a part's failure are hard to extract.

That's my experience. Hope it helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.