SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Performance Mods for 960?

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  S.R. 
#1 ·
Are there are any performance mods that someone has done to their 960? The only thing I can find is a K&N filter and strut brace? Am I missing something or is the 960 maxed stock?

#2 ·
You are right, the 960 is pretty maxed out in stock form. Since you have a 92' model, you have the 'high-speed' cam design as well. The 95'-later 960/90 had a cam that leaned towards better torque and low speeds to suit the American market. The only thing that I can think of performance wise is a K&N and free-flow exhaust system. Although, there is one guy that put a turbo in his 960, but that is not for the faint of heart. Very hard task.

-Drew

#3 ·
Yeah, I've seen it too, and have been debating doing it...but as you said, it would be a pain staking task...I'm pretty happy with my car as is, but always looking for something faster
The free flow exhaust is something I have not heard someone mention though...is there a kit somewhere, or is this something I would have an exhaust/muffler place fabricate for me?

Thanks for the advice...

#4 ·
I was just looking through IPD USA, and they really don't have anything for the 960/90 series performance wise. I think that you would have to have a muffler/exhaust shop fabricate a free flow exhaust system for you. That might get pretty expensive though. In terms of performance, I think that the 960/90's are pretty good stock. I am sure you will agree, nothing beats the smoothness of a sweet inline-6 engine all through the 'rev' range.

-Drew

#5 ·
I definately agree...the car drives so smooth and quiet I'm pleased everytime I drive it...I spoke with IPD and they said the same thing...the 960 stock is the best you'll get...I asked them about the strut brace, but they told me that it doesn't actually fit the 960 correctly...it gets in the way of something or another...I called CFI Motorsports, and they said that it works just fine...hmmm...it would be nice to have...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.