SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Inheriting 960, need more info on it

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  HotRodKris 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, and just have a couple of ?'s--I'm inheriting a '95 960 from my dad, it's got about 120k on the clock but is in great shape, and regularly maintained. The thing is, nothing can remain stock for long in our garage, and I'd like to add larger wheels, lower the suspension, performance upgrades, etc.

I'd like to know:
*what is the lug configuration/proper backspace for the car?
*if anyone makes aftermarket performance goodies, all I really need is a high flow filter and maybe an exhaust, although it seems I'll have to go the custom route on that one
*if anyone makes springs for the car, like a 1 to 1.25" drop
*if anyone makes a styling kit for the car, I know it shared platforms with the 940 (i think), and a few kits were made for that car.

Thanks for your help, this forum is great for VolvoHeads!!

#5 ·
The 960 is not really a popular car to modify. The engine has a history of causing problems for the owners, such as porous blocks (very few early 960's), wiring problems, blown head gaskets, and most of all bent valves from a broken timing belt. The 30K interval is easy to overlook, and a broken belt means you need to rebuild the head or look for a used one. Read through this thread at the Brickboard if you haven't already done so.

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=427885

Find out how much power your engine makes for that year, because there was a difference in the camshafts. I think it was the earlier 960 that was rated at 200+hp, but the later 960 was only around 180-190hp(?). I'm really not sure, but you can ask at the brickboard and find a wide range of 960 owners.

You'll need to modify the intake on your own because no company makes a specific kit for this car that I know of. If you decide to use a cone filter, make sure that you build a heat shield as well. If you don't, the cone filter will take in heated air from the engine once it's warmed up, and this will hurt performance and eventually kill the air mass meter. You might read about removing the screens in the AMM if you search the internet for info. Don't do this. I would probably use an Amsoil or K&N filter in the stock airbox and try to get more air in through the front (ambient temp air). I'm not familiar with the 960 airbox, so I can't provide any details.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.