SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

95, 940 wagon, steering wheel shaking

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  vinmanC32 
#1 ·
I have had an issue with my 95, 940 wagon with the steering wheel shaking (vibrating from side to side) since I purchased the car new. The dealer has changed just about everything and even had a Volvo regional tech at one point take a ride with me! As more parts where replaced, brakes, rotors, 4 new tires, things seemed to get better but not 100%. I recently had to replace the tires and was told that all 4 wheels had to be replaced. Hoping that this would rectify my issue I went for 4 new tires and wheels. Had a full alignment and sure enough the shaking / vibrating is still there? If anyone has any recommendations on what I can/ should try it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards;
CLP

#2 ·
The only two things that I can think of now, (since you have done most everything)is that some of these cars had problems with steering rack failures. But, I am not sure if that would cause a vibration. It could also be something in the front suspension that is causing the problem that you are having.

-Drew

#3 ·
Do you have a vibration when applying the brakes too?

The strut rod bushings are known to cause the steering wheel to shimmy when they are worn. However, you would also notice it under braking because the wheels are actually moving because the strut is not held steady.

These bushings can also be called "control arm stay bushings", so see if you can find out when they were last replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.