SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Knocking

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  S.R. 
#1 ·
I resently purchased a 98 S90 that knocks when starting. The knocking appears while the key is being turned. Once the car starts it's fine. Sometimes the knocking is followed by a ticking noise once the car is started (probably a lifter). This car has 92000 miles on it.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Also, I am looking for a operation manual.

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by csbrianp:
I resently purchased a 98 S90 that knocks when starting. The knocking appears while the key is being turned. Once the car starts it's fine. Sometimes the knocking is followed by a ticking noise once the car is started (probably a lifter). This car has 92000 miles on it.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I use 91 Octane, no there is no knocking under any other circumstances.

Also, I am looking for a operation manual.

#5 ·
I think that my 95' 960 makes that ticking noise as well, but I guess I usually don't notice it because I can't hear it when inside the car. I am not sure what it is, but when I had my car in for service a while back, the Volvo folks didn't say anything about it.

-Drew

#6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
I think that my 95' 960 makes that ticking noise as well, but I guess I usually don't notice it because I can't hear it when inside the car. I am not sure what it is, but when I had my car in for service a while back, the Volvo folks didn't say anything about it.

-Drew
Thank you for the reply. Do you have any idea how to get the headlight washers to work? and, what the three buttons next to the shift lever are for? They read W S E.

Brian

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by csbrianp:
Thank you for the reply. Do you have any idea how to get the headlight washers to work?
When you pull back on your windshield wiper stalk to spray and clean the windshield, the headlight wipers wipe and clean as well at the same time. There is no way to do them separately.

quote:

...and, what the three buttons next to the shift lever are for? They read W S E.

Brian
Check post below:

W-S-E Modes

One last thing, if you want to turn off your DRL's (Daytime Running Lights), there is a little screw-head right next to your headlight switch that you can turn 45 degree's to the left.

The screw-head should look like this:

-Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.