SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Best documentation for an engine swap

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tomfreeman 
#1 ·
I'm doing the prep work for an engine swap in my '90 745t. I have a new(er) longblock, and I'm reusing all the other components from the current engine. I'm wondering if I can get by with just the Chilton's book, or if I should go ahead and order the relevant Volvo manuals. Of the three of us working on the swap, we've done Porsche, Mitsubishi, and Toyota engines, but this is our first Volvo.

#2 ·
I have done a similar swap on my '89 744ti. After throwing a rod, I swapped to the stronger '93 B230ft. The Chilton's book should be enough I think, I have both the Chilton's and the Hayne's books, but the best help of all was checking the wiring against that of my still intact '88 744ti. Labeling every wire during removal can help, as well as taking pictures of various connections before you start.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. Here's the current update:

The Chiltons book has a fairly handy checklist of what to do before pulling the engine. A friend and I went through this weekend and did everything short of dropping the tranny and removing the motor mounts. As with other Chiltons/Haynes books I've used, some of their descriptions are rather ambiguous, but we were able to logic out the confusing parts. We tried to label everything, even the obvious stuff we wouldn't forget. I think we only broke 2 or 3 bolts in the process. I was very surprised.

We'll pull the engine this upcoming weekend, and hopefully have enough time to get the new motor in and running. I won't hold my breath on that one.

The new engine is from an 89, and it has 138K on it (as opposed to my 165K motor) and is a "big rod" motor. I bought it from Brian Leppin at http://www.usedvolvoparts.com in MD. He was a pleasure to deal with.

I'll post again after the next episode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.