SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Should I buy this car?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  George@Swedespeed 
#1 ·
I am thinking about getting this car. I have to call tomorrow to get milage and what motor is in it. They seem to think a 5 cyylinder
. What should I look out for and is this a good deal?

1991 VOLVO 740 RED w/ BLACK int. 5 CYLINDER AUTOAir Bag, Power Windows, Power Locks, Cruise, A/C, Cassette, Tilt, Leather, Sunroof, Third seat, Alloy Wheels, ABS. $5,995

See less See more
#2 ·
Well the first thing I would be leary about is the fact that a 740 is a 4cyl engine, not 5 (hence the 4 in 740). As long as it doesn't have an exuberant (sp) amount of miles, it doesn't sound too bad. NADA says it's avg retail is $6,675. From the picture, it looks like it's a dealer...if it is, make sure they look over the car or have a local shop do it for you and make sure you get some sort of 30 day warranty (I didn't once and it cost me $2000 for a new tranny)

Overall looks like a clean car, just be leary about the '5 cyl' boast

#3 ·
That car looks like a 740 Turbo Wagon, and it does not have a 5-cylinder engine in it. The 4-cylinder turbo is virtually bulletproof though, and it seem like a pretty good buy depending on what the miles are. Take it for a drive and check it out.

-Drew

#4 ·
First, see the Brickboard 700/900 FAQ. It's a 4cylinder for sure, and looks like it may be a Turbo, but it may just be a n/a 4cyl with alloy wheels. You'll want to check the turbo for excessive play or broken fins, and check for mushy oil-soaked intercooler hoses which will need to be replaced. Assuming this car is a Turbo, it should be very fast with not a lot of lag. The intake manifold flows much better for the '90-on models as well, when compared to earlier 200/700 series turbos.

Take it for a spin and see if it makes any unusual noises that might suggest the suspension is worn (try Reverse as well because that's when you'll usually get clunking from the rear on bad bushings). Depends on the mileage, because if it's around or below 100K, it should be solid. If it's got the original exhaust, it's probably near the end of its lifespan. Check the brakes and give them a nice test to make sure there's no pulsing from warped rotors. The 700/900 FAQ is a good guide for maintanence. Here's a little more info:

http://www.brickboard.com/ARCHIVES/1998APR/20001428.shtml

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.