SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Restoration

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  bklynvolvo760 
#1 ·
I own a 87- 760Turbo silver that I would like to bring back to life. Mileage is 90k and has been serviced at the dealer. I wanted to know if you knew any one in the NY-tri state area that I can check out to get a estimate cost to redo the interior and exterior.

[This message has been edited by bklynvolvo760 (edited 02-05-2002).]

#3 ·
Thanks George. Actually I looking to do both. I would like to start with the interior first. But if you could recommend a good place to get a quality paint job that would be helpful as well. I am will to travel a distance to get a quality paint job. Also I am looking to replace the suspension, what would brand would recommend?
quote:

Originally posted by George@Swedespeed:
What are you looking for. Upholstery work and a new paint job? As for upholstery, you may just want to check for a parts yard that has a set of seats in good shape.

A good resource that is now pay per search is http://www.copartfinder.com .

George

#4 ·
I'm a Bilstein fan. I've done their HD kit on a previous car, and I just ordered their new Touring shocks from IPD for our Project 245. I'll let you know how that goes. We haven't received them yet.

As for paint, the only shop I have experience with is Annapolis Collision in Annapolis, MD. They do GREAT work, but are priced accordingly.

A friend also just had his VW painted by a guy who is working on the side out of one of the back bays of New German Performance in Aberdeen, MD (not far from the DE border). It was quite affordable and pretty darn good for the money. I think he paid about $1200 for the respray. That price may vary as your 740 is larger, and may or may not require more body work.

I'm sure though that there has to be a good shop in the NYC area. I'm just not sure where.

#5 ·
George, while I check my local scap yards for parts for the interior, I would like to put a little pep in the engine without a complete overhaul. Can you recommend reasonably inexpensive ways to give this car a little more kick? Also, I plan to change the rims, on the car what would you recommend. I checked out your project 850 car and got a quote from the same people that restore the rims on that project 850 car. It was rather steep- 1200 for a set of four. Do you know of any other rims that you would recommend that are not as expensive?

Thanks. bklynvolvo760

#6 ·
The wheels from the fwd cars will only fit your car if you use spacers. I'd look for a used set on ebay or other volvo classifieds sections like www.ipdusa.com . I know I just saw a set of C70 17" wheels for $700 with tires on there last night (he's in Michigan).

As for the motor, I'll defer to those who know the motor better. I'm still getting to know our RWD Volvo.

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by bklynvolvo760:
...I would like to put a little pep in the engine without a complete overhaul. Can you recommend reasonably inexpensive ways to give this car a little more kick?
A turbo engine will benefit greatly from a larger diameter, less restrictive exhaust. You want to minimize back pressure, unlike a normally aspirated engine where you want to retain a little back pressure for maximum performance. IPD sells a really nice 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust for the 7/9 series Turbo, but it says "not for IRS cars", and I think your 760 has an independant rear suspension. You should check the car to be sure, because you may need to have an exhaust system custom made to fit over/under the rear axle & suspension.

MVP sells a 3" mandrel bent exhaust, but it also only fits the solid axle cars. It's $750, and includes a downpipe, cat, and full exhaust (IPD's is from the downpipe-back, but only $350). This one will be louder than a 2.5", and it's probably not necessary unless you're planning to do other modifications besides rasing the boost. 2.5" will be fine if you want to increase boost to 10-14psi and just leave everything else alone.

You can use a cheap manual boost controller to raise the boost level, but you should install a calibrated boost gauge first. VDO and Autometer make excellent gauges in the standard 52mm size (2-1/16") that fit in the a-pillar pods. Check out Dawes Devices for a boost controller. If you get much above 14psi, it would be a very good idea to install an air/fuel ratio gauge so you'll know if the engine is running lean. Also remember that you're going to need to use premium fuel once you start raising the boost, if you're not already doing so (it's 93 octane in my area, but I know some people only get 91 or 92 or sometimes 94 from Sunocco).

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.