SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Tell me about the boost gauge on my 740

30K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  VolvoVancouver 
#1 ·
I finally got a manual for my car on Saturday. I must say its pretty detailed in comparison to my 2001 Golf GL TDI I used to have. It actually tells you how things work, and how YOU can fix them yourself. It also lists bulb types and other part number that you need. I was quite impressed. Any ways, Just wondering about the stock boost gauge. I know it doesn't tell you much, but does anyone know at where on the gauge its producing certain # of boost? I mean where the yellow starts, how much boost is that?

Are there any FAQ's to where I could install my own proper boost gauge? What kind/model to get? Is it hard to install? Thanks.

#2 ·

Where the guage goes from black to yellow is normal atmospheric pressure. Anything in the yellow is boost, above atmostpheric pressure. The guage is not calibrated nor does it have any numbers so it really is pointless.

I would recomend getting a VDO guage from iPD or MVP. VDO made the original gauges so the font on the face matches. Some people have fit them into the same location as the stock guage but most people put them in a A-pillar pod.

Pod to hold guage

Boost Guage

#6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by VolvoVancouver:
Yes, I can't afford to buy a gauge pod/holder at this time. hell for only $15USD why not?

lol...i didt mean that in a bad way VolvoVancouver. all im saying is that a side pod takes time money...with the sticker and needle ajustment you have something that looks stock and is resonbly relible..hell i would go for the stock look-a-like than the side pod...

#10 ·
quote:

Originally posted by BitJockey:
I've got the Dave Barton gauge face on my car, and I love it... BTW... when the stock gauge is wrapped all the way around to the right, at the end of the yellow, its almost exactly 1 bar (14.7psi).

Nice car !!

My wifes Grandmother has a summer house in Hendersonville not to far from were you live I think ? Next time I head up there again I'm going to have to give you a call !!

#11 ·
quote:

Originally posted by BitJockey:
I've got the Dave Barton gauge face on my car, and I love it...
I just installed the full set of white faces on the large gauges in my 240. I'm very pleased with the quality of the paper, the printing, and the design. They were easy to install and they look great. At night I actually have to use the dimmer knob now, so I'm planning to paint the bulbs another color and see how it turns out at full brightness.

#13 ·
quote:

Originally posted by devalmyth:
towerymt can you get those guage faces in kml/h????
Yes, but only for the newer style instrument cluster that was used from '81-'93. He doesn't make them for the '75-'80 cluster. Dave Barton's website is here:

http://www.linkline.com/personal/dbarton/

The link directly to the section about the white gauge faces:

http://www.linkline.com/personal/dbarton/WhiteFaceGauges.html

Click here to see the Km/H speedometer in the instrument cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.