SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

84 760 GLE ?'s

28K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  VDubGuy 
#1 ·
Hello all!
I am normally a VW guy (98 Beetle TDI and 99 Passat GLX), but I happened upon an older Volvo.
My neighbor has his mothers 84 760 GLE sitting in his driveway since Monday. the car has 58,000 miles (his Mom was the original owner), and drives beautifully . The car was bought new in NJ, immediately driven to Florida, and made exactly one trip back to NJ - until it came here last spring on a transporter. But..
The a/c fuse holder has melted with the fuse. As a result, the a/c no longer works, the heat doesn't blow, and the radiator fan doesn't engage. I have read some posts on other sites that is a relatively simple fix, replacing the fuse holder.
I am, of course, assuming the fuse is the culprit in the a/c not working - any oher thoughts? It just died on Monday.

Are there any other caveats I should be aware of? He will basically give me the car for almost nothing, since he would like to replace it with a newer car, anyway. Although, I would rather see him fix it and keep it.
My last Volvo experience was an 83 244 DL, four speed+OD. This car (760) will mainly be used for driving to Atlantic City, Manhattan, or North Carolina, so any future driving will be highway miles.
Oh yeah - these things use 15-40 oil, right? I use Mobil DELVAC 1 in both of my VW's, so I guess it would apply here, too.
Sorry for the rambling...

Thanks for your help.
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Which engine does it have, the B28F (6cyl. gas) or the D24T (6cyl. turbo diesel)? Either way, it's not an engine I'd want to own. Both are going to need close attention to maintenance, and I would only use synthetic oil. If I were in your situation, I'd want to see him fix it and keep it too.

Good luck.

#3 ·
It is the V6, I WISH it was the VW diesel. Doesn't leak, doesn't burn oil, and pulls very strong for 156 hp.
Although, it doesn't have the power drivers seat, or ABS. It was my understanding these were standard items. Is this an odd car?
Hell, the thing is free, so I can't really complain.

#4 ·
quote:

Originally posted by VDubGuy:
It is the V6, I WISH it was the VW diesel. Doesn't leak, doesn't burn oil, and pulls very strong for 156 hp.
Although, it doesn't have the power drivers seat, or ABS. It was my understanding these were standard items. Is this an odd car?
Hell, the thing is free, so I can't really complain.
A 1984 700-Series will not have ABS, but I am pretty sure that it should have power seats (760), but I could be wrong.

If you can get the car what such low miles on it for almost nothing, that sounds like a damn good deal to me.

-Drew

#5 ·
If you change the oil religiously in a Peugeot-Renault-Volvo 2.7 or 2.8 V6, you should have an engine that lasts over 200K miles.

Infrequent oil changes are the bane of these engines.

Also, I thought an '84 760 had around 140 hp for the US model V6. I don't think the V6

#6 ·
Well, here are some pics... http://homepage.mac.com/cpongrac/PhotoAlbum4.html
Paid 300 bucks for it - I couldn't pay less, and feel guilty at this time for what I did pay. The paint "photos" really well, and looks great from 10 ft. But 18 years of sal****er have taken their toll. Most everything works (the p/w are a little slow) and the brakes are shot. I do not think the rear seat was ever used; the armrest was never put down, the mileage shown on the page is accurate.
I am not sure about the hp - the manual says 136, I have read at other sites it is actually 156, and, frankly, it pulls much better than either. Even for its age, it could become my daily driver, based on my last few days driving. Blows no oil, etc.
Later!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.