SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Eliminating Pinging?

685 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  VolvoVancouver 
#1 ·
Okay, got a question for y'all.

I drive an '87 740 Turbo Intercooler with 172K miles. Car is in good condition, oil changes every 3,000 miles, and I drive it like a turbo should be driven....cooldown after a long, hard run on the freeway.

At full throttle, like when I'm passing someone, I'll hear the slight rattle of pinging even on 89 octane fuel (which is normally used). This usually occurs on hot days; and is there anything I can do to eliminate this? I'd like to be able to floor the car to pass on a 2-lane road without damaging the engine with detonation?

Or do I just need to use 91 octane all the time? Hopefully not...

-Sam

#2 ·
useing 91 octain fuel will help a lot and improve performance. but if that is not an opition then advanceing or retarding you car my be the way to go. turn your distrbuter slightly one way, test it. then if it still does it turn it the other way. only turn it 2-5mm either way.

michael.

#3 ·
I went on a recent road trip which involved about 2000 kms of driving. I used 89 octane (stupid I know) which I should of used higher because of long hills where I need most power. The last tank was pretty bad, tons of pinging. When I got back home the price of gas went down about 10 cents a litre so I got 92 octane, but it still pings a bit when I accelerate faster than usual. On my 88't/i the dist is at the back of the engine, is there a set screw or something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.