SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Broken waterpump?

626 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  devalmyth 
#1 ·
Me and my girlfreind are driving to her house tonight when her 87 740 starts making a weird ticking sound. As we pull up to her driveway, steam or smoke starts to rise up from under the hood. I notice some fluid(not sure what it was) dripping and I smell a burnt rubber smell. I think the smell was from the hot fluid dripping onto the belts. I didn't get a chance to look at the water temp gauge so I am not sure if it was overheating or not. Anyway, could the loud ticking be caused by a broken waterpump?

#2 ·
it sounds like the water pump beraing has gone. the burnt smell is the belt rubbing on the pully cos the the bearing has seized.
pop the bonnet and try to turn the pully you should be able to turn it slowy/graduly with a little efort.if dont move its gone. or if you would like to get a new belt, start the car and see if the pump is turning.i think its cheaper to replace the hole pump and less efort. good luck.

michael.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.