SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Finding TDC (Top Dead Center)

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Duc 
#1 ·
Timing belt on my 1991 745 Turbo with automatic transmission broke.

I removed the old timing belt, crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer, cam camshaft sprocket, and intermediate cam sprocket, before finding TDC. I know, dumb mistake. I was in a hurry and was thinking about the three front enging seals I wanted to replace.

My question is: How do you find TDC with all the above items already removed? Please be as detail as possible. I thank you in advance for your assistance and advice.

#2 ·
Found my answer.

1. Turn crankshaft until notch on outer belt washer lines up with zero degrees on timing belt cover or vertical line on engine.

2. place camshaft and intermediate shaft sprocket on engine so that the timing mark on sprocket lines up with mark on rear timing cover.

3. Tighten all bolts. Turn crankshaft clockwise serveral times to make sure all timing mark line up.

4. Put on timiming belt. You do not have to line up the marks on the belt with the mark on the sprocket if you don't want to. The engine is already line up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.