SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Value predictions for 2015.5 Polestars at 5 years

13K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  Adrian-C30R 
#1 ·
Am I alone in thinking these cars are rare and special enough to depreciate much slower than their mass produced competition? I'm guessing my pampered rebel blue s60 with about 40,000 miles will be worth close to 50,000. What do you all think?
Tony

#3 ·
If I had any half-reasonable assurance that this would be the case, I'd be much more likely to keep my order. As it stands, it's now moving down my list of considerations, and potential resale is one reason why. I don't intend to sell, but I'd like to know that I'm not going to get killed if I have to.

#11 ·
Danny Boy, besides resale, curious what are the other reasons why you are having second-thoughts about your order? And what are the other contenders?

#4 ·
I would say there are too many variables to predict the resale value of these cars very accurately. I wouldn't use resale as a major variable to a purchase, it is important but being so unpredictable I would use other factor to decide wither to purchase or not.

#8 ·
I believe it was Automobile Magazine who quoted the head of Polestar when he said that some of his friends were working on a 2016 Polestar model, but with no indication what that was... My thinking is that if Polestar keeps it up, it can become one of the ultra desirable Volvo models, which usually tend to keep their value up. For example, a clean S60R/V70R (especially with the right options) can still go for around 15-18K even though it's 10 years old already.

#6 ·
Yeah, if they make more in future years they will be cheaper and likely better.... New cars are an expense, not an investment.

That being said, I own a Porsche RS America. They were about 60k new in 1993, and now there are a few on the market over 100k. about 700 were made in 1993-94 and never again.

#15 ·
I think they Viggens are holding value, but they are becoming ridiculous to repair. I met a 16-17 year old with a Viggen last weekend. He just picked it up, relatively low mileage. Previous owner bumped the front end and cracked the bumper cover. The kid can't find a viggen cover for under $1000.

That said, I'm selling a 2004 9-3 Aero, if anyone's looking.

#9 ·
I was thinking that since Volvo is doing away with the in line 6 we may never see another 6 cylinder s60 or v60 ever again. Do you think the next polestars will be 4 cylinder? 8? If they go with 4 our 2015.5 version with the i6 will likely remain the best version for the foreseeable future. And it will probably always be the rarest.

#10 ·
I was thinking that we may see 1M-level retention, so I went to check 1M values. They've... tanked, at least relative to what they had been. An average example is now in the high $20s. That's a good example of a limited halo car that was trumped by the next generation models.

I don't have much hope for Polestar values in the short term.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Doubtful that it would retain 80%+ of MSRP in 5 years; especially with 40K miles. Throw in another model year production and even more doubtful. Stay tuned in 5 years to see who is right.

#18 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Yeah, and that's even with the arguably better M235i being available. Hopefully we'll be alright.

It may be a non-issue. I may buy the car and find that I'm so attached to it after some time with it that I never want out of it. I have to be honest with myself and realize that it's really above what I want to pay for a car, and that I can't as easily give up on the S3 as I want to make myself believe. At some point down the road, my mind's going to wander and I'm going to ask myself if I should get into the S3, anyway.

This thing's going to be a lot more unique than an S3, now and down the road, but will the price and weight premium be too much for me long-term? I'm looking to resale to pad my fall if it is.

#20 ·
As I've noted before, I'm new to Volvo, but for all of you Volvophiles, how did the V70 R fair at the 5 yr mark?

#22 ·
it held about half its value.

I picked up my SR 5 years out for less than half what it stickered. VRs track a few percent above that usually for the same condition.

listen folks, no Volvo has held on to 80% of its value after 5 years. None. I was LOL when I read the first post.

#21 ·
I think the difference is that BMW has a history and credibility with motorsport to the general public in the US and as of now Volvo doesn't (no matter what we think who have bought them). Therefore it's really hard to say whether or not the new models will hold value. The 1M became almost mythical as the true successor to the E30 M3 so that's another reason why it's seen as a bit different.

#26 ·
In 2006, I bought a 3-year old VERY limited edition Passat W8 wagon. In 2003 (when new) it was $40K. I bought it 3 years later for $17K. I would guess this car is going to depreciate like most luxury cars: rapidly. $60K new in 2014, look for used ones in 2018 at $20-25K with 50K miles, MAYBE. These kind of cars aren't going to appreciate. How many people even know what a Polestar V60/S60 is? Very niche market.

#27 ·
I fully agree, they'll certainly not appreciate like supercars, but they're depreciation 'maybe' less than a same year model R-Design, just because any performance Volvo fanatic will try to get a Polestar over an R-design....longer term (20-30yrs) is probably a better financial proposition, but its a long time to invest, and you'd be wayyy better off just putting the money in the bank.

#30 ·
Not like this topic hasn't already been discussed (and hotly I may add), but this P* is not in the same category as an M, AMG, RS--never mind an M3 CSL. I'm not trying to start a fight (I have #49 on order and an M4 in the garage), but even Volvo admits it is not in the same category--primarily due to the limited track ability compared to the above motioned. The reviews (limited as they are) also make note of this. I'm anticipating my V60 P* to be similar to my previous 335is--sportier than a standard 335i but below the venerable ///M.

#31 ·
difference is a 335is can make big power easy over an M. a Polestar is pretty much tapped out.

#37 · (Edited)
there is nothing false about my statement. I said the Polestar was close to an M3 price and that is correct. the base price is 62k which gets you a proper manual. Strip off all the stupid paint and leather upcharges and you get a base M3 which performs better due to less weight. $60k<->$62k.....that's close.

you also aren't going to deal with the dealer "market adjustments" on the M3 which will inevitably plague the Polestars. Will be fun finding out how much people had to pay above sticker...

#38 ·
you also aren't going to deal with the dealer "market adjustments" on the M3 which will inevitably plague the Polestars. Will be fun finding out how much people had to pay above sticker...
For someone who just got an M4 in June, I can assure you there are "market adjustments" on the new F80/82! It depends on which market you are in.
I have never paid above sticker on a car and that includes both my #49 Polestar on order and my M

#47 ·
For a proper sport wagon, there is no alternative other than the Polestar V60 available here. I would love it if it came with an M66. It does not, I am hoping the software upgrades to tranny and haldex will put a grin on everyone's face who get's one. I a XC60 for a test drive and the tranny felt a tad lazy.

#48 ·
I am hoping the software upgrades to tranny and haldex will put a grin on everyone's face who get's one. I a XC60 for a test drive and the tranny felt a tad lazy.
And more importantly, that the tranny can have longevity since it is pretty much maxed out according to spec. IMO, this is the weak link of the car.......unless it has an angle gear. :eek:

#50 ·
My pick for an M3 on a "budget" would be to take European Delivery of an Alpine White with Cloth/Leather seats, Moonroof, MT, Harman Kardon, and Enhanced USB/SmartPhone Integration. MSRP comes in right at $60k, and there's room for negotiation down from there.

Now if only there were a touring model....

#51 ·
that's another point too, you can negotiate off of M3 prices whereas the Polestars are pretty much take it as MSRP. That's why Volvo only granted certain dealers the ability to sell these...limit supply so demand could match MSRP pricing.

#55 ·
Value after 5 years, maybe 35K+ depending on condition. The R's dropped pretty fast in value. Once the warranty is up, the value will drop a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.