SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Looking for Polestar info

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  peet2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I have been eyeing the idea of this Polestar car since I saw a posting about it earlier this year.
I am, probably like most on this forum, one who actually likes the idea of a wagon - and one that will go real fast and handling well while carrying crap.

Audi taunts me from Europe with the RSxAvant line of cars they will never, ever bring stateside. The E63 wagon just doesn't do it for me either.

I currently have a '12GolfR and am enjoying it immensely, but I have been told by a local Volvo dealer I can place my deposit for their V60P* and own it whenever it arrives.

So, questions for you guys.

1) Can anyone compare the performance difference anticipated between this car and the R-design that can be had for a lot less?
a) what is anticipated with the Öhlin suspension.. ie: how harsh, over/understeer?​
b) I see nice bumps in engine specs, but wondering if anyone has experienced a similar Pole* car that could share​
2) Am I correct that a similarly spec'd R-design would run about $7-8K less? (being unfamiliar, I am not sure I'm checking all the same options)
3) Is this a car that would provide space for future performance mods, or is it pretty much topped out as delivered?
4) Is the transmission in the P* different from the R-design,
a) if not what are the general impressions of it?​
b) I'm a manual kinda guy and wondering what the general consensus here is that this car is not offered in a manual​
5) $60K for this car feels like an extreme amount for a car this weight, size and the performance numbers provided by P*. Is there any anticipation it will actually exceed these when we actually see the car?
6) Any suggestions on the best resources, other than the obvious, for educating one's self about this car - reviews, other forums, etc?
7) Is there anyone here that is also an VW/Audi (wife owns a Q5TDI) person that can help with a comparison of interior materials, entertainment/nav systems

I'm not adverse to the price considering the rarity of it - although in another thread here I was bothered by the idea there may be a 2016 P*.
I really like the look of this car, have always admired Volvos (the M59 was the 1st wagon I ever really wanted but couldn't afford), but haven't been one since that swayed me to leave the VW/Audi brand.

I guess I'm coming to this forum for advice on the car, and what hardcore Volvo fans are expecting. I know when the current GolfR was on it's way, us over at VWVortex were very divided about the spec2pricing ratio and I'm really interested to find out if you guys are in general feeling the spec2price2rarity ratio is going to be a no-brainer or really something subjective for each person.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply
And big congrats to those of you already with orders.

peet

See less See more
#2 ·
Take a fully loaded R-design, add 250 specific Polestar bits and pieces= bada$$ Volvo.
1a) all the reviews say the suspension is compliant and nuetral
1b) reworked K16 turbo and software upgrade
2) I figured about 6+K more, a bargain considering what you get for it
3) There's always room for more, kinda limited by tranny and software, but 400+ would not be a stretch for this powerplant and turbo
4) Same tranny, but different software for quicker shifts. I would kill to have this car with an M66.
5) I put an order down at MSRP, no mark-up. Of course a dealer can add market adjustments if you let them
6) just google polestar, you'll find lot's to read
7) I have an Audi, (wife's car) no one has seen the interior of a Polestar other than in pictures, it looks like an upgrade over R-design. I would say the interior is probably equal to that of an Audi, with better seats. Although I like Audi's gauges way better.
You have to remember no one has one yet. Ask the same questions in October and you'll get better answers than mine.

#19 ·
7) I have an Audi, (wife's car) no one has seen the interior of a Polestar other than in pictures, it looks like an upgrade over R-design. I would say the interior is probably equal to that of an Audi, with better seats. Although I like Audi's gauges way better.
You have to remember no one has one yet. Ask the same questions in October and you'll get better answers than mine.
I've seen and been sitting in a V60 Polestar. We have to be real, the interieur doesnt compete to Audi, definitely not. It's rather nice, but Audi got definitely better materials, it just feels "very premium" while the Polestar "just" feels "premium".

There is more and different plastic than in an Audi and they pay less attention to the details (buttons etc).

#3 ·
If you want one you better hurry and start making phone calls NOW.
90-95 % of them are already sold and in another day or two they will all be spoken for.
(You're a bit late here)

#4 ·
Looks to me he has a line on a dealer demo that is not sold yet.

#6 ·
Dealer demo's on a limited edition car, silly Volvo.

#8 ·
There's a list out, see the list
About 15-20 are "dealer demos" which means they're not sold...yet but a dealer ordered one..... just in case
My dealer has a black V70 P/S if you're interested

#9 ·
Hey everyone.

I have been eyeing the idea of this Polestar car since I saw a posting about it earlier this year.
I am, probably like most on this forum, one who actually likes the idea of a wagon - and one that will go real fast and handling well while carrying crap.

Audi taunts me from Europe with the RSxAvant line of cars they will never, ever bring stateside. The E63 wagon just doesn't do it for me either.

I currently have a '12GolfR and am enjoying it immensely, but I have been told by a local Volvo dealer I can place my deposit for their V60P* and own it whenever it arrives.
Welcome Peet! I'm relative new here as well and this will be my first Volvo ever (#49 BSM V60). I'm a BMW nut (currently have an M4 and X5d in the stable), and some of your questions were/are similar to mine. If only Audi and BMW brought over there true "sport" wagons, we all would have more to choose from. But currently, Volvo seems to be the only game in town and I'm excited about my P*. I think Madden's answers to your questions pretty much sums it up. Overall, I think $6-7k over an RD is actually a great deal for what you get. Although I wish it had more cargo space, was lighter, and had a DCT, no other Euro-wagon competes to the V60 P*.

Curious why you aren't going to wait until Jan 2015 (if VW holds true to their word--don't hold your breath) and get a MkVII R? If the new R was here now, I know I would seriously consider it and save $20k.

#10 ·
Curious why you aren't going to wait until Jan 2015 (if VW holds true to their word--don't hold your breath) and get a MkVII R? If the new R was here now, I know I would seriously consider it and save $20k.
First, there is no way that car (the MK7R) is going to be here in Jan'15, if history can be a guide, spring of 2016 would be the likely timeframe for US delivery of that car. There is also the word of the GolfR400 is being built, but I have zero doubt the US will ever see it.

But again, a Golf is a hot hatch, and I think the V60 more qualifies as a wagon, and that is really what I've always wanted - a high performance wagon.

My biggest hesitation is the autobox. I really wish this had a manual, but I would really like more input/reaction to this transmission.

thanks again to everyone for the feedback

#13 ·
+1 The polestar comes with every mod I'd done in the past, with full factory warranty.

#16 ·
Rebel Blue
Polestar Blue
NOT THE SAME COLOR a bit different, P/Blue is just a bit darker

#20 ·
Audi does make nice interiors. And their gauges make the Polestar gauges look like the came out of an econo hybrid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.