SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Polestar International Allocation

29K views 92 replies 23 participants last post by  CrossingCountries 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have been lurking on swedespeed for the past few months reading the V60 and Polestar related threads. Glad I found this community and now want to contribute. So to kick off my first post and first new thread, here is a summary from various websites on the MY2015 (MY2015.5 in US) S60/V60 Polestar allocation around the world

735 production run
Rebel Blue, Black Sapphire Metallic, Bright Silver Metallic and Ice White

Australia - 65 S60, 35 V60, prices & colors ?
Canada - 15 S60 $65k CAD, 15 V60 $67k CAD, blue, black
Japan - 60 S60 ¥7990k, 30 V60 ¥8190k, blue, black, white
Netherlands - 10 S60 €97k, 40 V60 €100k, blue, black, silver, white
Sweden - 20 S60 640k SEK, 60 V60 650k SEK, blue, black, silver, white
Switzerland - 100 V60 85k CHF, blue, black, silver, white
UK - 125 V60 £50k, blue, black, silver, white
USA - 40 S60 $59k, 80 V60 $61k, blue, black
not accounted for - 40

As of Jan 2015, VCNA stated there will be another production run for MY 2016.
Rebel Blue, Onyx Black, Bright Silver Metallic and Ice White
USA - 156 V60 & S60, any color, prices?
others countries ?

If you find information to fill in the question marks or correct the numbers, please reply on this thread and I'll update this post. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
thank you opus007 for your input. using your numbers and adding in australia's probable 100 (i think canada was given 10 cars), we have 675, so 75 are somewhere else
i haven't seen any mention of 'other market' but it has been pretty clear volvo was building 750 cars, a mix of v60 and s60.

#4 ·
Interesting how some markets get only V's and some how get more S's - just based on what sells in those markets I would imagine.

#13 ·
thank goodness Volvo gave us in the USA an atypical allocation from what usually sells in the US. I wouldn't have bought the sedan if that's all we got.

#6 ·
Netherlands is 10 S60 and 40 V60.

First one received plates this week.

Are you the owner by chance? Can you give us a review as we patiently wait for our orders?

#8 ·
is there a link available for the review? we could translate it to english i'm sure

#12 ·
I couldt disagree more.

"Many of the reviews didnt say much"

Its a very weak argument, cause a lot of reviews described every little detail of the Polestar concerning Power/Handling/Performance/Comfort etc...

The S60 Polestar Concept has nothing to to with the everyday V60 Polestar. I don't think its volvos or Polestars fault when YOU had wrong expectations. Feel free to buy the S60 Polestar Concept, they ARE selling it. You are talking about a "huge compromise" - again, you are not getting the point of this car. An all year, usable drivers car and not all out trackmachine.
A souped up T6 Awd... Yeah right, I think you kind of underestimate all the engineering which went into this car. I mean you have not even driven one, right? it's kind of barefaced to put this car in this kind of category. I wouldnt mind if you have driven the car...
I agree with you that the transmission wont probably be the best, but talking about those 12.9 sec: how could this be a bad number considering the weight of the car??
Steve Sutcliffe ranked the V60 Polestar somewhere between an Audi S4 and a RS4. Even if its just as good as an S4, I am more than happy. In this category, tell me what is better? What do you expect? A stripped out Sportswagon without AC and Radio? The thing you want does not exist, taking your statement above, every S4/RS4/335xi/ etc is just a nice car but does not live up to your expectations... And please, dont tell me it would be an M3, cause its neither a 4wheel drive (I think you guys have snow too up there) nor a wagon..

#15 ·
I couldt disagree more.

"Many of the reviews didnt say much"

Its a very weak argument, cause a lot of reviews described every little detail of the Polestar concerning Power/Handling/Performance/Comfort etc...

The S60 Polestar Concept has nothing to to with the everyday V60 Polestar. I don't think its volvos or Polestars fault when YOU had wrong expectations. Feel free to buy the S60 Polestar Concept, they ARE selling it. You are talking about a "huge compromise" - again, you are not getting the point of this car. An all year, usable drivers car and not all out trackmachine.
A souped up T6 Awd... Yeah right, I think you kind of underestimate all the engineering which went into this car. I mean you have not even driven one, right? it's kind of barefaced to put this car in this kind of category. I wouldnt mind if you have driven the car...
I agree with you that the transmission wont probably be the best, but talking about those 12.9 sec: how could this be a bad number considering the weight of the car??
Steve Sutcliffe ranked the V60 Polestar somewhere between an Audi S4 and a RS4. Even if its just as good as an S4, I am more than happy. In this category, tell me what is better? What do you expect? A stripped out Sportswagon without AC and Radio? The thing you want does not exist, taking your statement above, every S4/RS4/335xi/ etc is just a nice car but does not live up to your expectations... And please, dont tell me it would be an M3, cause its neither a 4wheel drive (I think you guys have snow too up there) nor a wagon..
You are putting the cart before the horse. We had the R's. I have owned 3 of them, still have an S60R at the moment. The V70R was a disappointment. With 300HP and 1700 kg it was a quick car but never a fast car. At 400+ HP it was a fast but not really inspiring car. The S60R was the better R. Still these cars had their flaws. Next came no successor but the V70 T6 AWD. A tourer. More luxury minded. 286 HP at a higher weight. It took several years before the S60 and later the V60 came to market and only then the power was upped to 300. After introduction it took a rather long time before the R-Design came to market. At that time there was still hope that Volvo would offer another gearbox besides the GT but it never came. Since a couple of years there is the T6 R-Design. Now they added flippers and a polestar tune option. A harsher ride to make it more sportive. "An all year, usable drivers car and not all out track machine."
Then the Polestar rumour started. Some nice models were shown. Expectations were set high. At 500+ HP and a manual gearbox it was beyond AMG 63 territory. It was clear that these specs would never reach the larger market but given todays Volvo technology plus the fact that Polestar developed a manual transmission there was hope that a production Polestar would be "something".
I first saw the production Polestar S60 in real in Sweden at the Knutstorp race track where Polestar introduced the car to the Australian dealers / Press. At the time it was the pre facelift model.
I liked the toned down details compared to the R-Design but when the cars went driving on the track I wasn't overwhelmed. I was expecting a more raw version of the T6 RD yes.
It took a Volvo employee considerable time to retune the dampers of the car before they went on the track. Some of the 5 cars present had the big brake option. Those cars appeared to be the ones maintaining a good pace on the small track. I was wondering if these cars were capable of outperforming a slightly "aftermarket adjusted" S60R on that same track. 0-60 isn't of great importance. It is important that the car is quick off the line but the performance during spirited driving is of greater importance IMO. I don't buy a sportive car only to accelerate to 60. An occasional track should be possible and we have a German Autobahn where sometimes the potential can be explored. But the thing is, the latter not when the whole family is in the car.
The RS's, M's and AMG's are made with a different mind set and the price is accordingly. Things were done to these cars to make them considerable more special compared to the lesser models in the corresponding line up. And yes an Audi S is lesser than an RS. These cars come with reasonable stiff suspension but not necessarily harsh suspension yet they are capable of handling the power levels which come with those cars. The T6 RD is an S. The PT6 should have been an RS but it is also at S level.

Currently my DD is an IS-F. We don't have the model in Europe but put it next to the next best IS of the same model year, the IS350.. The price difference between an IS350 and an IS-F probably is similar to the difference between a T6 RD and a PT6 yet Lexus is offering a whole different car. The gearbox is simply outstanding. The GT can't even live in the shadow.
BMW M vs 335, a whole different car. Audi S, RS a whole different car. Merc C-whatever vs C AMG etc..

Yes, before the Polestar specs where known they created expectation beyond what finally reached the market. When you look at the P's up close, I did so November last year and saw both the S and the V, the difference with the T6 RD is so minimal. Two lips and a trunk spoiler and a Kinetic window liner look and as you may know Kinetic is Euro Volvo entry level…
The wheels make the biggest difference. Interior same story. To little differentiation from the lesser models. Entry level in my country is a 1.6 4 cylinder. OK, Polestar added some side support, blue stitches and a small piece of kevlar to the radio stack. All nice but not 100K nice. That is the whole point with this car. It is 15K overpriced. There is another thread going about depreciation of these models. That 15K evaporates the moment you seal the deal because the car market does see the real value of this car.

I am positive the car will be fun to drive. No doubt about it. I'm also positive I will be frustrated with the gearbox within the first couple of miles. I have driven GT's and always disliked them. Currently we own a C70 T5 GT and although I'm aware it isn't the T6's GT is still shows Volvo's thinking of how a GT should perform and it isn't anywhere close to how I think it should operate. Polestar may have the same thinking as I do and may have put a lot of effort in trying to fix that flaw but they could only do so much and the reviews confirm that. If you read some of the more positive reviews you can also sense it. Some didn't say it but it was there between the lines. Scepticism or reserves or whatever you might call it. What if you pay 100K and are fed up with a driveline you were supposed to live with for 12 to 36 months within a week?

I'm still a Volvo guy but at this point in time Volvo doesn't offer what they offered before and what some customers are still asking for or expecting. The P60 should be 10 years of evolution of the R yet it isn't.

If you buy a Polestar because it is a Polestar then that is your choice and I hope you will be happy with it. A larger majority of buyers won't ever utilise the potential of this car. If they do so for 10 % I think they will be equally exhilarated when driving a T6 AWD or even a D5 AWD which isn't that far off torque wise.

#16 ·
Thank you, it starts to make sense. Even though I'm far off having the same opinion about the Polestar. Nonetheless, I chose between a used S4 / used RS4 / new 335xi and a Polestar. I decided to go with the Q-car, a car that nobody knows, goodlooking with good performance. Yes I admit, I am a bit anxious about the transmission. But that really is my only concern.

I understand that in your country the Polestar is a bad deal. To be honest, if in my country (switzerland) the Polestar would cost 10 grand more than a Audi S4, I wouldnt have ordered it - I would have gone with an S4. But not because its the better car, but because its cheaper! But this is not a case. The Polestar in switzerland costs about 70'000 Euro, what makes it a real bargain and a good deal for what you get. And I honestly believe that this is a great car. If not, I'm just going to sell it! ;-)

#17 ·
Only thing I'd point out or remind us all is that with the upheaval at Volvo over the past 10 years (later stages of Ford ownership, lack of investment in new models, company put on the block for an extended period and then finally sold) for us even to have a P* model to critique is a pretty good accomplishment. That said, we should always demand improvements and be critical - that's the best way IMHO to get a better product.

#19 ·
From the U.S. Polestar training slides, there will be a 735 production run in 2014 and Australia is another market to get these cars. If anyone sees any Volvo news on what Australia's S60 and V60 allocation is, along with the pricing, please post a link to this thread. Thanks!

#20 ·
#21 ·
I recently chatted with a Polestar owner in Canada and his was rebel blue. Apparently Volvo changed their mind on color allocation for Canada. It is the same as the U.S. Rebel blue and black sapphire metallic.

#28 · (Edited)
This post has been deleted
#34 · (Edited)
+1! I've had three silver Volvo wagons and one white one. Wife used to drive a silver S60 T5.

#38 ·
Ditto - Silver looks very, very good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.