SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Official Polestar Q&A thread

351K views 2K replies 231 participants last post by  PolePlanet 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
This is great. Thanks for signing up. Looking forward to aks some questions, once I get my car at the end of october.

Could you give us a hint how your Rebel Blue Polestar BMN 139 (sweden plate) performed in the SportAuto comparison with the S4 / 335xi and the Insignia OPC (test comes out in 10 days).

Thanks

#4 ·
We are glad to be here and great to hear that you are about to become a Polestar owner!

The V60 Polestar performed well in the test, but we don't know the outcome as per normal procedure in tests with independent magazines. We are just as eager as you guys to see the outcome!

Kind regards,
Polestar

#3 ·
-It has been "reported" that the Polestars 345hp/369tq numbers are underestimated, especially the torque. I imagine the real numbers are "confidential," but would I be "getting warmer" if I reiterated what was reported during the World Press drive which noted torque closer to 405tq???:cool:

-Besides cost savings, was there any other reason for using the geartronic auto versus a dual clutch unit--especially for such a "performance-oriented" car?

-Why was the US limited to just two colors--Rebel Blue and Black Sapphire, when other parts of the world were also offered White and Silver?

-What are the smallest wheel dimensions (19"?, offset? spoke design) that will clear the brakes for winter use?

-Are you folks done with the S/V60 Polestar or will there be an extra performance bump available in the future (or will the auto not handle anymore power)?

#5 ·
1 -*The 369/500 Nm figures are correct, I'm sorry to disappoint you with that there is no confidential higher number :)
2 - There is no double clutch unit currently available in the Volvo family, but we are looking at various transmission options for future models.
3 -*The national sales companies makes the decision on colors for their respective market based on various factors unique to their market.
4 -*The smallest wheel dimensions are 19" and we strongly recommend to use the Polestar 19" wheels as other 19" Volvo rims will not clear the brakes.
5 -*There is no planned performance upgrade for the S/V60 Polestar.

Kind regards,
Polestar

#6 ·
Thanks for the quick reply!
I'm sure I'll have more once I take delivery, hopefully this week

#9 ·
- What are Polestar's recommended winter tires? What were the requirements for deciding the winter tires? Were Nokian tires considered?

- How many Polestar S60s and V60s were allocated to Canada? I understand Canada received 12 units but I couldn't find the model count from the media articles posted on the Internet.

- Is this year's Polestar production run the last to use the T6 inline 6 cylinder engine? Will future Polestar production runs only use a Drive-E engine?

#11 ·
1 -*We recommend the following winter tires for the S/V60 Polestar: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 235/40 R19 96W XL and Pirelli W 270 Sotto zero S2 235/40 R19 96W XL. These have been tested as thoroughly as we have tested summer tires for the car.

2 -*30 cars have been allocated to Canada.

3 -*2014 is not the last year for the T6 engine to be used. The engines to be used for coming model years/models will be revealed in due time :)

#12 ·
Thanks for taking the time to come here and answer questions. I plan on taking my V60 Polestar to the track once or twice a year for a little fun. I know you've said the cars were not desing as track day cars, but they certainly have the hardware to have fun on track. I have a couple of questions that relate to that.

1. Is the brake fluid the same as the standard S60/V60, or has it been upgraded to high-temp fluid? High-temp fluid is usually one of the first things I do prior to taking a car out on track.
2. I've read the rear shock adjustment on the V60 is only available if you drop the rear shock from the body. Is there any way to get to it from the interior of the vehicle by removing any of the interior trim?

Thanks in advance for the response!

#15 ·
1 -*The brake fluid is the same as standard T6 R-Design.
2 -*We recommend you to have your local Volvo dealer to adjust the dampers. There is no way to adjust the dampers on the V60 from the interior.
3 -*The black trim was evaluated on the pre-production and press cars, but did not make it to production.

Best of luck with your V60 Polestar, glad to have you in the Polestar family!

#18 · (Edited)
This is fantastic to see. Nice to make your acquaintance.

Since my vehicle is only arriving in Novebmer, could you please request it be built with the roof rails attached? :) US market V60 vehicle #41.

#27 ·
We have two wheel rims available for the S/V60 Polestar, the 20" and 19". There are many good winter tires out there, but we recommend, as mentioned above the Michelin Pilot Alpin and Pirelli Sotto Zero S2. They have been selected by our team of test drivers to suit the car best.

Good luck with your S60 Polestar, the Black Sapphire looks really good on the sedan!

#24 ·
Polestar #44 V60. This will be my 8th Volvo, pretty excited. No other car pushes all the buttons like the Polestar V60 does for me, cancelled an order for a Porsche Macan Turbo for this car. Long story, thought I had a Polestar V60, then didn't, then did, Porsche was a distant second. Nonetheless, development will continue on these cars, I assume other Polestar offerings will be forthcoming, can we look forward to any retrofit upgrades down the line as you refine and further tweak these cars? A car is always a work in progress, there's always room for improvement.

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks for bringing Polestar representation to Swedespeed! We already have ~20% of the U.S. Polestar owners listed in our Polestar registry. I'm certain that will grow as owners take possession of their Polestar and discover Swedespeed. :)

I have some feedback rather than questions for this message.

1) The U.S. Polestar brochure has many mistakes and omissions:
http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/Polestar/Volvo-Polestar-brochure-v1.pdf

In Wheels and Tires (page 19) the Polestar recommended winter setup (19" Polestar rim and Michelin/Pirelli tires) is missing. We do have winters in the U.S. and we will drive our Polestars in all seasons.

In the Facts and Figures (pages 22 & 23) there are some incorrect/missing items. In fact page 22 looks like a draft that wasn't reviewed before being published. :facepalm:

2) Please manufacture extra Polestar front air splitters and rear diffusers that Polestar owners can buy as replacement parts. Those parts are most likely to get damaged from roads. We have some extremely side sloped roads in California that always eat front air dams/splitters when turning into/from these roads. :mad:

#32 ·
It appears there is conflicting info regarding the tire size.
Your website (the next polestar) notes 245/35/20, but the following pic notes 265/35/20?
Also, how wide is the rim 20x8 or is it wider? And is the offset of et53 (which is noted on your website) correct?

#33 ·
It appears there is conflicting info regarding the tire size.
Your website (the next polestar) notes 245/35/20, but the following pic notes 265/35/20?
Also, how wide is the rim 20x8 or is it wider? And is the offset of et53 (which is noted on your website) correct?
The 265/35/20 tyres were fitted on a pre-production show car as part of testing various tire/rim sizes.

The final selection came on the tires as stated on our website: 245/35/20. The rims are 8x20" with offset ET53.

#35 ·
Polestar #39 V60
Can actual build dates be associated with our Polestar numbers?
Thanks!

This post has been deleted
#45 · (Edited)
#46 ·
#49 ·
+1
Great question, I was going to ask that

#51 ·
In ur world ,
in my world spam is Hawaii's number 1 food
kcir--we aren't trying to be rude to you, and we are impressed by your persistence, but believe it or not, there is a certain amount of forum etiquette and we would all appreciate it if you would please respect the nuances of social media.

#54 ·
Polestar Official

Does polestar have a workshop manual(not owners manual)available? Does polestar recommend specific wax for the paint or wheels? Are the tires that come with the car suitable for spirited rain driving? What is the difference between the 3.0 polestar engine and the 3.2 Volvo(pistons, conrods,cams,etc)
Thanks

#60 ·
We have no specific recommendation regarding wax. The tires work really well in rain, it is one of the areas we have worked a lot with. The difference between the original T6 engine and the S/V60 Polestar engine is a new turbo charger, new intercooler and a different engine management system.

#55 ·
I just remembered a question I was trying get to get answered a few months ago ....

PolestarOfficial, what were the V60's times up Goodwood hill when you were there at the festival this year? :) Thanx!

#63 ·
You must not have considered this is not a US-only forum ... there are a lot more cars to be delivered to owners than that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.