SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

V60 Polestar driven

16K views 57 replies 26 participants last post by  VolvoD 
#1 · (Edited)
First of all, I apologize for the bad cell phone pics. I was in a time crunch and wanted to get a nice drive out of this car hence the quick shots.

The main points:
* The car is extremely quick when accelerating from standstill; it will pin you back like no other Volvo I have driven, "straight out of the box"
* Its acceleration from the low 40s to the 90 MPH range is lightning quick. This car can get you in trouble if you do not pay attention and just listen to the sound (more on that below)
* Its ride is very, very good even on bumpy roads; I was afraid it would be teeth rattling (like my V70 T5) but it was not. Its handling was exceptional
* The sound...I can honestly say that thisnis the best sounding Volvo I have ever driven. It sounds coarse but also refined, at the same time. It does create a pop or two when pushing the gas pedal. I could drive this car for days and I would never think of turning on any audio source for the fear of disrupting this "music" out of this very well executed exhaust. Polestar definitely nailed it with regards to the sound. I wish the R-designs had 50% of that sound...
* The seats are amazing (as expected) but what I really liked is the composite graphite trim, around the console and gear selector; very, very well done and high end.

On several occasions, several people rubbernecked when they heard the sound and realized (I think) it was a Volvo. Plus, I am sure, the color had a lot to do with the overall surprised look!

Those of you, getting these cars, you are one lucky bunch! These are very well executed.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Mine can't come soon enough...

Thank you for the quick review. Short and sweet; like we all haven't read 10000 words about it already.

Most comforting is what you wrote about the suspension. .... tho come to think of it my custom suspension on my C43/55 was engineered to meet the needs of the smooth Cali roads and only after failure did the designer redo it to meet our NY tri-state area needs. I expect to be content so dont get me wrong. .... do you know where the dampers were set? Middle / 10 ?

Seeing that pickup so close next to it I immediately think of that silly "don't touch my Dart" commercial Dodge is running here in the States.

Then I cringe at the thought of what will happen to mine from being parked on the streets of NYC about 1/2 the time.

#5 ·
As far as I know they come set at 10, live with it awhile and take back to dealer for adjustment if needed.

#7 ·
Yes, I went in the car expecting a mess (not that I dislike the 6GT but I was not sure what it would be with Polestar having played with it)...I thought it would be rough shifting, very high RPMs and not proper upshifting.

Now, I wish that Polestar (or whoever did the reprogramming because it definitely shifted totally different from any R-design I have driven) lends this sort of programming to the R-designs. Again, I have not been unhappy with the R-designs but this Polestar felt a notch better. Its upshifting, when slowing down, was far more pronounced, like a manual transmission car. Using the paddle shifters, the shift were crisper and quicker. Still, I am not a huge fan of paddles so I left it on sport mode.

Could the shifts be a bit quicker? Definitely. I could only imagine what it would have been with a double clutch or if the 8-speed AW was in the gearbox.

All in all, even though this gearbox is not perfect, it has edged closer to being more refined and sporty. It can only do so much and it's a decent fit for this set up.

One thing I am not too crazy about, on this car; its wheels. Love the size, not too find of the pronounced "bubble" of the design...it is subjective but my personal choice would have been something "flatter".

#11 ·
Thanks for the prompt review. Looks like you had a fun time!

And thanks for the steering wheel picture showing the car number. :thumbup:

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
I can't imagine that many Polestars will be available for test drives, however.

#28 ·
One thing I am not too crazy about, on this car; its wheels. Love the size, not too find of the pronounced "bubble" of the design...it is subjective but my personal choice would have been something "flatter".[/QUOTE]
They pretty much had to be shaped that way for clearance on the front calipers. This will limit aftermarket wheel choices in a big way.

#34 · (Edited)
Yanis,pleasure to meet you today..

I was truly impressed with the drive.The gear changes exceeded my expectations for an automatic..The Exhaust note in Sport mode is tastefully done.Very excited to deliver the sold units we have at our store

Here are a few pictures that i got prior to my drive session..

#39 ·
Hey Yanis, I had the pleasure of prepping and delivering one of these. The procedure to set the brakes properly was quite the task to accomplish, had to jump on the Pa Turnpike to have the room. Nervewracking to say the least.
What an incredible car, and out of respect it was treated like a baby (other than the brake thing).
I want one in black......

#40 ·
So you (i.e., dealer) set the brakes for this customer? My dealer was describing to me how I should set the brakes (probably what he learned at the training). Is the procedure written down somewhere specific to the Polestar?

#46 ·
Sounds like Polestar is asking for the brake pads to be properly bedded prior to delivery. Transferring pad material to the disc is crucial for proper braking performance.
That is correct.

For those interested Stoptech has a good write-up on a proper procedure.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in
Pretty much what Polestar recommended although you do not have to do 10 sets of accelerating and braking. As mentioned here, it is important that you do not come at a complete stop. You also do not have to get up to 60-some MPH...Even 50 mph and then braking to a very slow speed, 5-6 times, would be sufficient.

If,you notice an even coloring on the brake rotor, then the transfer of material was done properly. If you see a "stripe" of grey on the rotor, then it was not done properly and you will need to perform a few more accelerations and brakings.

#44 ·
I think this can be done properly on any road provided you are not stuck behind a car.
Its not the car you are stuck behind, its the car coming behind you.

My dealer was describing to me how I should set the brakes (probably what he learned at the training).
VCNA takes the delivery of every new Volvo as a point of pride, and trust me the "one off" or special cars get even more attention. The process for setting the brakes will probably been done before your delivery. This process can be repeated by the owner if they are willing, you can do it multiple times before normal driving.

I will not sign off any new Volvo that is to be delivered without ensuring the vehicle is ready to go. I believe that in every dealership that receives one of the Polestar cars there will be a technician who feels the same way. And if you want to do this by yourself at our place, be prepared to have a right seat co-pilot for as long as it takes....

#47 · (Edited)
With the above posts, I would like to write a few words on my experience (for a day) attending the Polestar training and driving these cars under some pretty severe conditions. I will not get into "how fast" or exactly where it was done but let's imagine for a moment that these cars were driven in roads that included rough asphalt, smooth asphalt, some very (and I mean very) tight mountain/canyon roads (one lane each way) with a mountain on one side and some very big drops (in the several hundred feet) on the other side. Traffic, there, was minimal to non-existent and it was up to you (and your own abilities) to see how far you could push the car.

I drove two cars, both V60s (since they were my preference over an S); a Passion Red R-design and a Rebel Blue Polestar. The R-design was equipped with 19" IXION wheels shod with Bridgestone Potenza summer tires. The Polestar, naturally, had its standard 20" Polestar wheels shod with Michelin Super Sport tires.

Before I get into the driving, I must mention that I am very happy Polestar and Volvo have decided to enter a partnership that is not short term. These guys are very experienced, dedicated to racing excellence from where many elements have trickled (and will continue to) down to these Polestar-tuned cars. I am also very happy for my company that has, finally, decided to enter this field. Even though such products are going to be limited in production, I am positive that this will grow which is great news for both Volvo and Volvo enthusiasts. Polestar is, albeit small, definitely not a company that just slaps on parts and only pumping up the power of an already sporty Volvo. Its expertise in tuning a car, with the PROPER SUSPENSION set up and the meticulous wheel/tire set up, is admirable and one can quickly realize that this has come from many, many years of having raced Volvos on numerous tracks and from having achieved great results.

I drove, first, the Polestar. Its suspension set up was set "a couple of clicks" toward the firmer setting, since we would be taking them in some very tight mountain roads at higher, than normal, speeds. There are twenty "clicks" on the Ohlin shocks; toward the left, the shocks are set toward a softer setting toward the right, you are headed more for a stiffer setting all the way to track settings.

The total ride was about 25 to 27 miles and I split it with my co-driver; a very good driver who also has had experience driving cars on the track.

The Polestar was extremely well composed no matter what we did to it. Driving it very fast over pavement rises, at very high speeds, its setup did not let it leave the ground. The faster I went, the more downforce was created and you felt it. It exhibited some under steer under extreme cornering but it never got a away from me. Not bad at all, for a front wheel drive-based car.

I took some very tight turns (almost as tight as a hairpin) that were downhill, uphill, uneven entrance and exit...the car was super composed. The roads were off camber, most of the time, so that put some limits on how I pushed the car or how brave I wanted to be. The tail never wanted to push out. It was not DSTC that kept it in but the suspension set up plus the reprogrammed Haldex sending power to where it was needed, as I gave it more power when exiting.

The sound of the exhaust was simply exhilarating and inspired me to push the car or just simply enjoy driving it on a regular pace while pushing it a little when going uphill. Its suspension, albeit firm, was not punishing at all. Actually, it armed me with so much confidence that (after a few miles) it allowed me to trust the car and use whatever skills I have to a degree I could not with any other Volvo (including previous generation Rs).

As mentioned above, Polestar did increase the power of the R-design; however, this car is more about inspiring you to drive it with confidence, through its overall set up. That is what makes it a very able car which can morph into a simple daily driver or a very able machine ready take the track or a tight mountain road.

The brakes felt very good although, by the end, the pedal was a bit softer and required a little more travel (I did not feel a braking performance deterioration); I am sure the brake fluid temp was "a few degrees" higher but that was to be expected. If there is one thing I would wish for is that I would have preferred the brakes to have been a bit more "touchy" but that is a personal preference. The brakes never betrayed me no matter what I did with them.

The tires were super impressive. Polestar told us that they did extensive tire testing before they settled on the Michelin Super Sports and I think they made a perfect choice. The road noise is pretty low, as well.

Now, onto the R-design. One of my favorite models and nothing I am about to write should be taken as this car is not good. Getting into this beautiful red car, right after the Polestar and taking it through the exact same road I drove the Polestar, allowed me to have a very good comparative experience and appreciate both cars for what they are.

It was evident, from the first corner, that there is quite a difference in the suspension (and tire) set up between these two cars. The R-design felt quite softer (and it is not a soft car) and much looser. What was more pronounced was the under steer (only when pushed very hard, not entering a corner just aggressively). That was one of the two, stark, differences between the two cars. The tail also "tried to come out" on me on several occasions. Of course, the electronics and the car itself prevented the tail to completely push out but I had to work a little harder to keep the car where I wanted to go. Still, the R-design impressed me with its ability to stick with me in how hard I was pushing it.

The shifts were not as crisp as in the Polestar. Overall, it felt like the more "comfortable" car not from the suspension standpoint only but from the overall driving experience. It is a car that I would have no problem pushing hard and I know it would not get me in trouble (like a regular suspension FWD Volvo could) in the way I pushed it. Where the Polestar stood out was that it gives you confidence, lots of it, and it proves it to you when pushed to its (and your) limits.

There is, undoubtedly, Polestar DNA in the R-design (drive a regular T6 AWD and then an R-design to realize the differences). The Polestar is just a great step up; no doubt, it is not a BMW M or a hard track car (most are RWD platforms). Polestar did a fantastic job in taking the R-design and finding a great balance between a suspension set up that will allow you to drive it comfortably in and out of the track.

#48 · (Edited by Moderator)
With the above posts, I would like to write a few words on my experience (for a day) attending the Polestar training and driving these cars under some pretty severe conditions. I will not get into "how fast" or exactly where it was done but let's imagine for a moment that these cars were driven in roads that included rough asphalt, smooth asphalt, some very (and I mean very) tight mountain/canyon roads (one lane each way) with a mountain on one side and some very big drops (in the several hundred feet) on the other side. Traffic, there, was minimal to non-existent and it was up to you (and your own abilities) to see how far you could push the car.

I drove two cars, both V60s (since they were my preference over an S); a Passion Red R-design and a Rebel Blue Polestar. The R-design was equipped with 19" IXION wheels shod with Bridgestone Potenza summer tires. The Polestar, naturally, had its standard 20" Polestar wheels shod with Michelin Super Sport tires.

Before I get into the driving, I must mention that I am very happy Polestar and Volvo have decided to enter a partnership that is not short term. These guys are very experienced, dedicated to racing excellence from where many elements have trickled (and will continue to) down to these Polestar-tuned cars. I am also very happy for my company that has, finally, decided to enter this field. Even though such products are going to be limited in production, I am positive that this will grow which is great news for both Volvo and Volvo enthusiasts. Polestar is, albeit small, definitely not a company that just slaps on parts and only pumping up the power of an already sporty Volvo. Its expertise in tuning a car, with the PROPER SUSPENSION set up and the meticulous wheel/tire set up, is admirable and one can quickly realize that this has come from many, many years of having raced Volvos on numerous tracks and from having achieved great results.

I drove, first, the Polestar. Its suspension set up was set "a couple of clicks" toward the firmer setting, since we would be taking them in some very tight mountain roads at higher, than normal, speeds. There are twenty "clicks" on the Ohlin shocks; toward the left, the shocks are set toward a softer setting toward the right, you are headed more for a stiffer setting all the way to track settings.

The total ride was about 25 to 27 miles and I split it with my co-driver; a very good driver who also has had experience driving cars on the track.

The Polestar was extremely well composed no matter what we did to it. Driving it very fast over pavement rises, at very high speeds, its setup did not let it leave the ground. The faster I went, the more downforce was created and you felt it. It exhibited some under steer under extreme cornering but it never got a away from me. Not bad at all, for a front wheel drive-based car.

I took some very tight turns (almost as tight as a hairpin) that were downhill, uphill, uneven entrance and exit...the car was super composed. The roads were off camber, most of the time, so that put some limits on how I pushed the car or how brave I wanted to be. The tail never wanted to push out. It was not DSTC that kept it in but the suspension set up plus the reprogrammed Haldex sending power to where it was needed, as I gave it more power when exiting.

The sound of the exhaust was simply exhilarating and inspired me to push the car or just simply enjoy driving it on a regular pace while pushing it a little when going uphill. Its suspension, albeit firm, was not punishing at all. Actually, it armed me with so much confidence that (after a few miles) it allowed me to trust the car and use whatever skills I have to a degree I could not with any other Volvo (including previous generation Rs).

As mentioned above, Polestar did increase the power of the R-design; however, this car is more about inspiring you to drive it with confidence, through its overall set up. That is what makes it a very able car which can morph into a simple daily driver or a very able machine ready take the track or a tight mountain road.

The brakes felt very good although, by the end, the pedal was a bit softer and required a little more travel (I did not feel a braking performance deterioration); I am sure the brake fluid temp was "a few degrees" higher but that was to be expected. If there is one thing I would wish for is that I would have preferred the brakes to have been a bit more "touchy" but that is a personal preference. The brakes never betrayed me no matter what I did with them.

The tires were super impressive. Polestar told us that they did extensive tire testing before they settled on the Michelin Super Sports and I think they made a perfect choice. The road noise is pretty low, as well.

Now, onto the R-design. One of my favorite models and nothing I am about to write should be taken as this car is not good. Getting into this beautiful red car, right after the Polestar and taking it through the exact same road I drove the Polestar, allowed me to have a very good comparative experience and appreciate both cars for what they are.

It was evident, from the first corner, that there is quite a difference in the suspension (and tire) set up between these two cars. The R-design felt quite softer (and it is not a soft car) and much looser. What was more pronounced was the under steer (only when pushed very hard, not entering a corner just aggressively). That was one of the two, stark, differences between the two cars. The tail also "tried to come out" on me on several occasions. Of course, the electronics and the car itself prevented the tail to completely push out but I had to work a little harder to keep the car where I wanted to go. Still, the R-design impressed me with its ability to stick with me in how hard I was pushing it.

The shifts were not as crisp as in the Polestar. Overall, it felt like the more "comfortable" car not from the suspension standpoint only but from the overall driving experience. It is a car that I would have no problem pushing hard and I know it would not get me in trouble (like a regular suspension FWD Volvo could) in the way I pushed it. Where the Polestar stood out was that it gives you confidence, lots of it, and it proves it to you when pushed to its (and your) limits.

There is, undoubtedly, Polestar DNA in the R-design (drive a regular T6 AWD and then an R-design to realize the differences). The Polestar is just a great step up; no doubt, it is not a BMW M or a hard track car (most are RWD platforms). Polestar did a fantastic job in taking the R-design and finding a great balance between a suspension set up that will allow you to drive it comfortably in and out of the track.
Excellent write up GV. Thanks for sharing

#50 ·
Thanks Grecian!

That review helps me confirm I made a good call on blindly placing a deposit without having driven a Polestar yet. Of course I'll take mine for a good test drive before accepting delivery and paying ~$70k for it. Wow, never thought I would pay that much for a car!

I missed buying a R edition over the past 20 years. Sounds like this Polestar will definitely make up for those lost opportunities. :D

#51 ·
I just got back from my dealer (Lehman Volvo, York PA), and drove their 'demo' S60 rebel blue Polestar #31....awesome is all I can say...the sound is brilliant, the video clips on here from Kief really do not do it justice, especially when in Sport mode, when both exhaust values are open...whilst I would not say I tested every aspect (had girlfriend and my kids in the car), you can just feel its something different. It pulls strong and hard, and feels really tight, and the one thing that seems to be of most concern to everyone, the transmission, I was pleasantly surprised how sharp and quick the shifts were, especially in Sport mode. We did a couple of launches as well under launch control, just fantastic.....

I seriously considered just taking delivery of their demo, but I think waiting an extra 7 weeks is justified to get S60 rebel blue #02!

So if anyone is looking for a rebel blue S60 Polestar, theirs is still available (although they have an interested party, no deposit as of yet!, so first to place a deposit gets the car!) oh, and by the way, they're not letting the public drive it, I only got to have a spin as I have already a deposit down on #02. You basically have to put a deposit down to drive, as they need to keep the miles down...

The interior is very special, and shows the detail and care that has gone into building these vehicles...my kids loved it, and my girlfriend now wants to swap here 2014 XC90 for it, no chance! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.