SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Owner's Manual

14K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  KILOFINAL7 
#1 · (Edited)
Polestar Owner's Manual

See less See more
#5 ·
Note on page #4:

ALL-SEASON TIRES are NOT ALLOWED on this car.

????

Why not? They have summer tires and winter tires shown as approved, but not ALL-SEASON TIRES (they shouted, not me)? Maybe nobody makes a high-enough performance tire in an all-season variant?

#6 ·
If you want to run all seasons then you shouldn't be looking at the S/V60 Polestar. Get an R-Design instead.

I run high performance summer tires on my car. And I have a second set of steel rims with winter tires. That is the optimal year round performance setup.

Don't forget that Polestar has spent thousands of engineering hours behind the S/V60 Polestar. We are paying good money for their testing, tuning, upgrades and recommendations. :)

#7 ·
Not that I totally disagree with that. But consider people who live in an apartment, or are sans garage and storage facility, it is problematic.

I currently have a house and apartment in the big city, and split my time where i live between them. I plan to sell the house. I'll loose the large garage where I keep my winter rims+tires. And I don't want to be spending a minimum of $1000 a year and likely much more just to store the 2nd set of tires, whether with rims or just swapping tires on the one set of rims. I may just have to.

It would have been nice to have the best performance all seasons as an option and not forbidden. We will have to get an answer from PolestarOfficial as to why so categorical about it. Because the best set of all weather tires would likely outperform the best snow tires (which I always mount on my daily drive vehicle) if I chose to run the latter all year round; and that's not forbidden and often done by people living in the most northern climates.

So again, I don't totally disagree with your sentiment, but there is another perspective from that that we should not dismiss. And why Polestar forbids that so categorically is not intuitively obvious.

#8 ·
I run ultra-high performance tires on my other car. The tires say to avoid temps below 40 F, but I've been on the track with those mounted at 15 degrees F and they did just fine out there. For the Volvo, I'm just wondering why you CAN'T run all-season tires on it? I suppose Volvo believes that all-season are really good for no-season, and hence doesn't recommend them. I get it: they don't want people spinning off the road due to insufficient grip available at each corner. I fire up the old 4x4 pickup if we do get any snow accumulations around here anyhow. If it is icy or otherwise particularly nasty, some hot cocoa hits the spot. I'm not going to store a set of extra wheels/tires.

#11 ·
... For the Volvo, I'm just wondering why you CAN'T run all-season tires on it? I suppose Volvo believes that all-season are really good for no-season, and hence doesn't recommend them.
This supplemental owner's manual is from Polestar, who is an independent racing company that is partnered with Volvo. It is Polestar's warning to not use all seasons on the S/V60 Polestar.

#9 ·
I'm going to agree with Opus on this one. The performance threshold for an all-season tire, even the best of them, is so far below a dedicated summer tire. I can understand Polestar recommending not to use them. It's not a safety issue, but the braking and handling improvements will basically be wasted. If people want to run all-season tires on them, it's ok with me, i just think it's a waste of money on this car and that the RD would be a better option.

#10 ·
I live in an apartment and I have rented an offsite storage unit to store my "other stuff", which includes my second set of tires.

It's the choices we make on where we live and what we own. Hey, some people don't even have vehicles. I applaud them but I need a car. I'll live with investing in another winter setup for my V60 Polestar. :p

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
Now this coming from someone who never uses all-season tires. But aren't all-season tires going to give you better traction in the summer than snow tires in summer?

My brother in-law lives in Stowe Vermont and left his snows on all year around. When I was shocked and dismayed to learn that he explained many people in the area did that. I would imagine folks from the land this vehicle is spawned do that too.

So why doesn't polestar 'officially forbid' that too? ...is all I'm saying. Don't mistake tho that this implies i am a proponent of all-seasons. It just seems they officially allow a scenario where one has even worse traction in the summer.

The other concern I have is when something categorical is in the manual like this, it could give a dealership something to grab hold of to deny warrantee coverage. Wheel bearings, brake system, shocks, etc ... should one of those fail not from wear but defect, and if an owner had all season tires affixed, a dealer could deny coverage. And I don't think that's right.

#15 ·
So why doesn't polestar 'officially forbid' that too? ...is all I'm saying. Don't mistake tho that this implies i am a proponent of all-seasons. It just seems they officially allow a scenario where one has even worse traction in the summer.
It's called common sense. :p

One should learn why they have separate sets of tires (summer and winter). If they don't need that setup on their car then they will likely get all seasons as a default.

Some Polestar owners will run only summer tires year round, like in Southern California. Some will optionally buy a winter setup like me. Others need the winter setup, like in the North Eastern U.S., Canada, etc.

#16 ·
But common sense does not dictate what a dealership will do when it comes to warrantee coverage ... winter tire all year round, ok, but all-seasons? leaves the door open for " You're sol ".

#24 ·
This is quite distressing.

I ran my V70R with P-Zero all-season tires for years in Chicago. Not the best in snow, but I never got stuck either. They handled very well in the summer as well.

Very few of us will push any car to its limit. If you do, you should be doing so on a track running track tires. However, if you violate the published mandate, it could be grounds for a dealer "voiding" the warrantee. I wonder if the same is true for 91 octane gas (since this is not recommended)? That is all that is available in my locale.

#17 ·
Well Polestar is mandating no usage of all season tires for the S/V60 Polestar. I agree with their opinion and directive. Either don't drive it in winter conditions or buy a winter setup.

Otherwise you are wasting money buying this car and running all seasons on it. Yeah you could do that. I then have some swamp land in Florida to sell you. :p

#19 · (Edited)
Sorry, running high perf snows all year around is common practice in certain parts of the world. I'd never do it btw, tho i did consider i may run all season on this car many years down the road but no longer will. But If Polestar went to such lengths regarding no all-seasons, which WILL have repercussions on warrantee service, and gives us such detailed inflation guidelines, I would expect them to forbid snow tire usage above a certain average air temperature too. You wouldn't ; no problem.

The people who buy this car should know better and not treat it like say the Subaru they just traded in for this. Agreed. Sadly some who will own it will do so cuz it's Volvo's halo car, not because they are driving enthusiasts. And if no all-seasons can seemingly be used against us as its clearly forbidden in the manual, a statement regarding requiring summer/winter tied to the average temp in someones location seems should be detailed too. When does Volvo leave things to common sense? :p

I am alone in this. Otherwise I agree with you all.

#20 · (Edited)
I haven´t seen anyone running all-season tires in SWE, NO, FI. Not even the XC60 or XC90 is sold with that in sweden.
majority of ppl running 2 set of wheels, some bigger cars (hummer) do have all-seasons and most of the lorrys but not all.
normal winter tires in the south and spike tires in the north :)

Regarding storing etc if u dont got space for it atleast here there are a bounch of stores that provide storage, normally the same shop that change them for u.
Here its about 40euro / season to store the tires and have them washed etc.

The reason for not running winter tires in the summer even if they are not spiked is that the rubber is a diffrente blend and dose get harder when its warm.
Similar with summer tires they get hard in the winter. And with hard rubber the gripp / stopping power is far less.

#21 · (Edited)
Kief, in regards to this image...

I'm assuming the damper on the bottom is for the front, and adjustment dial is clearly seen.

My request is please let us know where the adjustment is on the rear damper if you discover it over the next few months. It may be that tiny dial at the end of the silver cone at the far left of the damper as pictured, but that may be instead be a nozzle and the adjustment is instead what looks like a black tab near the logo sticker.

Thanx in advance.

#22 · (Edited)
You have it backwards, the strut/spring assembly on top is the front, the gold colored shock on the bottom is the rear. Adjustment for the front is the small knob on the bottom of the strut. The adjustment for the rear is on the far right, above the mounting hardware and not visible. I asked the Polestar rep in the Q&A thread about the rear adjustment and was told that it can't be accessed from inside the vehicle. You can see the adjustment knob for the two in these pics from Autoblog.

Rear:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-volvo-s60-polestar-first-drive/#photo-2593978

Front:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-volvo-s60-polestar-first-drive/#photo-2593979

#23 · (Edited)
Oh, whoops, thanx. Then I remembered which is which wrong.

I never expected to get to it from inside, but from under the vehicle using a jack (I have to do that now with my fronts on my C43/55)

So the rear adjustment isn't that silver ring between the gold and aluminum sections near the center? Ok. Ya, seems really really hard to get to the adjustment in the rear if it's at the top.

I'm used to mine. ;) http://public.fotki.com/m8o/kar_krazy/speedybenz_on_board/?view=roll#1
...which I'm sure you'll agree are pretty clear as to where you make all 4 adjustments.

#25 ·
Have you guys all figured out your winter set-ups yet?

Buy another set of Polestar wheels or will something else fit?

I would imagine you'd need to budget a few grand.

#27 ·
That owner's manual was quite well written...much better than most of the ones I've had. I love the "not allowed" statement. Also thought it was interesting they recommend the Nokian, which has been mentioned on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
I recently bought a 2016 V60 Polestar - unfortunately it no longer has its polestar owner's manual. I've reached out to Volvo to buy the polestar manual without success. Could someone repost the PDF? Anyone have a spare copy to sell? Many thanks!

Rectangle Material property Font Gadget Bag

#31 · (Edited)
I recently bought a 2016 V60 Polestar - unfortunately it no longer has its polestar owner's manual. I've reached out to Volvo to buy the polestar manual without success. Could someone repost the PDF? Anyone have a spare copy to sell? Many thanks!

View attachment 148371
I have a PDF of the Polestar Manual that I can post in a few hours. I do want to hang on to my 2016 original manual, sorry. You might ask over in the FB Polestar Owners page if anyone has one they would give up.