SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Delivered: Kief's #62 V60 Polestar (Delivery/Impressions)

17K views 83 replies 25 participants last post by  zircular 
#1 ·
I wanted to start a new thread on my delivery and impressions as my initial thread sort of went off track at times...
I'll be taking delivery (actually my wife will be taking delivery :thumbup:) in less than 2 hours. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me drive it, but it may be awhile before I can really get to drive it like I stole it.
Following delivery, I plan to wash/detail it thoroughly. My buddy is coming over tomorrow afternoon to take some good pics with a real camera instead of the crappy iPhone pics I plan to post up later today. I'll try to get a video of a drive by up soon as well.

#2 · (Edited)
After a 2hr delivery, and then forgetting my wife's license at the dealer and having to drive back, "Thor" is finally home! I drove back to the dealer by myself so I could enjoy the car more!

Keep in mind I did not kill it while driving as I want to do a moderate break-in. The car is exceptionally fast and really deceives you--how fast you are driving. The exhaust is terrific and reminds my a lot of my 335is. I really didn't get on it handling wise, but if felt surprisingly light for such a heavy car. Suspension/comfort is good set at the factory-spec, but if this was my car I would probably adjust the dampers a bit more tighter. Brakes are also good, but as GV noted earlier, I also prefer more of an initial bite. But again, I did not abuse the car. The placard regarding bedding the brakes was missing and my sales guy is going to inquire about that.

Some surprises, but not necessarily in a good way...the tire road noise may be a concern (at least for my wife). On concrete driving surfaces, such as the highway, they are very loud. I imagine the tire psi are set way, way too high, so perhaps the noise will be reduced. The rear brake discs (not their surface like after you wash a car, but in between the grooves--see pic) are rusty. Looks bad and my sales guy is looking into it.

Unfortunately, I cannot wash Thor because it is freakin miserably hot/humid and the sun is out--I thought it was going to be overcast today with rain later? If the sun goes away, I can wash it, but it will probably be early tomorrow before the sun comes out. Enjoy the pics for now

#3 · (Edited)

#4 · (Edited)

#5 ·
reserved #4

#6 ·
Kief, Lehman's demo S60 rebel blue was on the same delivery truck I think! I took it out for a spin this am....just awesome! I posted a short report on the delivery thread...the sound is just amazing, especially when on the road (in idle it only opens one valve) whereas when in Sport mode both are open, so the sound is multiplied...

I'm going to wait the extra 7 weeks to get #02, but it was VERY tempting to bite the bullet and take their demo....

#8 ·
I added some very brief impressions and some pics

#9 · (Edited)
Thank you!

Love the space between the cars in the garage. ;)

P.s. glad to read the comments regarding the perceived weight. Exactly what I was expecting, not just hoping for. Nothing like the feeling of turning in a car with a well sorted suspension. :thumbup:

#10 ·
Congratulations, Kief ( well, your wife!). Looks great! Now, you will need to tell your wife that (as a right of passage into the Volvo enthusiast world) she will need to get an account here and post her daily impressions. :cool:

#11 ·
I know not everyone will agree, but I'm loving the subtlety of the BSM color on the Polestar. People might pass right by it and just think it's a just a regular Volvo wagon which is exactly what I'd want. It's only the people who are "in the know" who will understand what it really is.

Analogy would be someone buying a Rolex vs. an IWC or Glashutte Original, etc.

#13 ·
The more I see BSM on the V60, the more I like it. Becoming a tough call between RB and BSM.

Congrats Kief - looks like Thor will have plenty of garage space, and hopefully a Volvo banner on the wall. ;)

#15 ·
Congrats on the new car. +1 on the Volvo banner.

#17 ·
Thank you very much for the impressions and congratulations! I think, BSM looks just best in the shade. Love pic nr. 6 from above.
It kind of looses all the lines and everything in the full sun. But mine is going to be BSM as well and I think it looks great.

The rust doesn't look good, but I don't think it is a problem, it's just not nice to look at...

You have no sunroof. I have seen on other pics, that US Polestars also have the sunroof. Could you add this or leave it when ordering? (I know you took the "demo" car)

So is it like in switzerland, where you still could click some boxes? (In switzerland, I could click the box for sunroof, factory tinted windows, DAB+ Radio and some other small things like sunglass holder)

Your and others drive reviews keep me alive on the next two months (and of course the upcoming test in SportAuto in 5 days:thumb up:)

#18 ·
The rust doesn't look good, but I don't think it is a problem, it's just not nice to look at...

You have no sunroof. I have seen on other pics, that US Polestars also have the sunroof. Could you add this or leave it when ordering? (I know you took the "demo" car)

So is it like in switzerland, where you still could click some boxes? (In switzerland, I could click the box for sunroof, factory tinted windows, DAB+ Radio and some other small things like sunglass holder)

Your and others drive reviews keep me alive on the next two months (and of course the upcoming test in SportAuto in 5 days:thumb up:)
Thanks Foxy!
Yeah, I'm not pleased with the rust on the rear discs. Looks very bad and not something you would expect on a brand new car. I'm thinking these "demo" cars may have been sitting outside at the port for some time and this is what resulted.

I do have a sunroof, but hard to tell with BSM. All US-spec cars come with sunroofs. The only option in the States is color--RB or BSM

#19 ·
So there is no way for a US customer to recalibrate the TPMS after adjusting the psi without dealer involvement???
As I suspected, I had between 40-41psi all around. Way too high and I just readjusted to 37 all around--Polestar recommends 36-39psi.
Was about to recalibrate as noted in the US Owner's Manual: My Car-->Settings-->"Car Settings" (I take this to mean "Vehicle Settings" as there is no "Car Settings")-->Tire Pressure, but there is no "Tire Pressure" noted in order for me to select "Calibrate Tire Pressure"????

I was already to drive off for the system to calibrate, but there is no point. Are you guys telling me I have to go to the dealer to recalibrate the TPMS each time? That's ridiculous if that's the case.

#21 ·
Some more iPhone pics after a good wash/sealant. As expected, found some imperfections in the paint and this BSM paint seems very soft, swirls easily. But Thor still looks good! I'll post better pics up above when my buddy comes with his camera

#22 ·
Your reference to the soft paint should really concern us all. While I understand these are fresh off the assembly line, I really question the longevity (just 5 years) of our Volvo paints. I absolutely baby our 2013 and it is uber sensitive. Great that you're careful from outset. One rushed washing or fat lady rubbing against it on a dusty day and you'll grimace for years every time you clean it.

#37 ·
My Classic Red V70 is now a teenager (13+ yrs old) and even though its paint is not as mint as it was in the first couple of years, it still looks great. I only clay and wax once per year.

#23 ·
I think the issue of paint affects all manufacturers, especially European (they seem to have higher emission standards), because these new water based paints just don't hold up like the old petroleum based paints....exactly why I'm considering applying one of those protective films, on the front leading edges anyway...still undecided though.

#47 ·
If you have the coin, do it. Especially if the car will see snow & salt.
I would suggest taking a pass on all the films you may or may not have heard of and go straight to 3M--my install is about a year old, and no complaints with the film itself. Find an authorized dealer/installer so you can get the warranty: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...Aftermarket/Our-Brands/Scotchgard-Pro-Series/
I suppose you could call what I had done the Deluxe install since 95% of the front bumper is covered, the front third of the hood, door handle cups, lower third of the door, rocker panels, door edges and top of the rear bumper. I should've also had the lower sections of the rear bumper right behind the tires covered as there's now a light scuff pattern from road spray.
FWIW, the film & tint install was roughly $1500...

#24 ·
Your Polestar is a beautie! Congrats to your Wife!

It will look even better with the window tint. :cool:

Hmmm, do the front seats have power lumbar adjustments? I didn't see the extra control with the power seat controls in your pics. That was supposed to be a new feature with the 2015.5 models.

#25 ·
Hmmm, do the front seats have power lumbar adjustments? I didn't see the extra control with the power seat controls in your pics. That was supposed to be a new feature with the 2015.5 models.
Thanks buddy!
And yes, it has power lumbar

#26 ·
I must say I'm a little confused, you did not get tint on your V60, yet the US Spec V60 Brochure clearly states under the climate sub category:
"tinted windows, rear side doors and cargo area"
I think they are supposed to come with tint, you got one of the first ones, I am wondering if later arrivals will come with tint. It does state in their advertising brochure that the Polestar V60 U.S. Spec will come with tinted windows and cargo area. It's an awesome car and I can't wait to get mine, but I'll wait an extra day for them to have enough time to put tint on mine, lol.

#27 · (Edited)
... the US Spec V60 Brochure clearly states under the climate sub category:
"tinted windows, rear side doors and cargo area"
Grecian confirmed the U.S. V60 Polestars would not come with tinted windows.

That brochure is a draft that was accidentally published with many errors and omissions in it. I brought this to OfficialPolestar's attention and he replied they would get the correct brochure published asap. Still waiting...

#29 · (Edited)
BTW, here's a pic of the window sticker. You'll notice the VIN has nothing to do with the Polestar #

#39 ·
True, as there is no room within the 17-digit/letter space to include that. However, your VIN is a dead giveaway that it is Volvo with a Polestar enhanced engine. ;)

#30 ·
Nonetheless, "draft" or final "correct" brochure, it is the only out there right now. And I know what Grecian said, I also know what the brochure says, it's a very minor point, tint is pretty cheap, but there is a point here, "current" advertising says one thing, car comes equipped otherwise.

#31 ·
I hear you and you are preaching to the choir! Nothing I can do but get tint that will probably be darker than factory anyway

#32 · (Edited)
Brochures are not contracts. They are open to changes and revisions.

Now if you had it noted in your signed order that the car would be delivered with tinted windows, well that's different. ;)

Yeah, I will also be tinting my Polestar windows. Likely with ceramic tint to cut down the transmitted heat along with the other tinting benefits.

#35 ·
Not to beat a dead horse, but a companies advertisements(brochure in this case) can be argued to be a form of unilateral contract, granted Volvo has no legal liability to perform in this case, however legally you would look at intent, does the brochure show intent to provide tinted windows? It's a mute point, I promise not to write another word about it, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.