SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

V60 Polestar beats S4, 335xi and Insignia OPC in SportAuto review

18K views 80 replies 23 participants last post by  rebelde azul 
#1 ·
Hi there

I couldnt wait any longer, so I just bought the digital iPad version of the SportAuto review, which is always available one day in advance. I didnt read it so far, cause I want to really take time and enjoy the review. Just this much:

The Polestar beat all the german rivals. It was the fastest on track, the fastest in slalom, had the best braking performance and second fastest to 100 kph (S4 was faster)

You guys must be patient till the end of the week, I will translate the most interessting parts. One thing is shure, I am really exciting to get my Polestar, cause I really give a lot to SportAuto reviews.

Times short course Hockenheim:

S4: 1.19.4
OPC: 1.19.4
335xi: 1.18.6 (to be fair, it had no M Package... This really is a super time!)
P*: 1.18.0

Stay tuned!

Foxy

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there

I couldnt wait any longer, so I just bought the digital iPad version of the SportAuto review, which is always available one day in advance. I didnt read it so far, cause I want to really take time and enjoy the review. Just this much:

The Polestar beat all the german rivals. It was the fastest on track, the fastest in slalom, had the best braking performance and second fastest to 100 kph (S4 was faster)

You guys must be patient till the end of the week, I will translate the most interessting parts. One thing is shure, I am really exciting to get my Polestar, cause I really give a lot to SportAuto reviews.

Times short course Hockenheim:

S4: 1.19.4
OPC: 1.19.4
335xi: 1.18.6 (to be fair, it had no M Package... This really is a super time!)
P*: 1.18.0

Stay tuned!

Foxy
Thanks for the info. I look forward to reading your translated parts of the article. This is a more realistic comparison than the one with the RS4 and the M3....

#5 ·
Remind us, so what can explain that? Different drivers? Weight of Sedan vs. Wagon? Higher (assumed) angular momentum (moment of inertia) of this year's wheel+tire package? Brakes?

#8 ·
We are very glad to hear about this and we look forward to read the article.

Regarding the difference in time of the S60 Polestar MY13 and the V60 Polestar. It should be noted that the temperatures during the latest test were above 30 degrees celsius, while much cooler when the test with the S60 Polestar was completed. The S/V60 Polestar MY15 is faster all around compared to the MY13 car.

#11 · (Edited)
That was exactly my first thought. But it is hard to tell, cause SportAuto did not publish the temperature on the Aussie test. Normally they always do.
And it is not correct, that the temperature in the latest test was above 30 degrees. They note 22°C for air temperature and 29°C for asphalttemperatur. So I don't know what the temperatures were on the aussie test, but regarding you say the V60 Polestar is faster than the S60 Polestar Aussie, it must have been cold. But still, I can't imagine it makes this big of a difference, because like you said, the V60 should be faster, but it was 1.2sec slower. And it could not have been very cold because like if it was the case, the tires would have struggle to get warm and there would have been no way to achieve a time of 1.16.8...

So to me it is still a mystery, cause if you compare all the times, they all are not that good, especially the S4 is really bad... So it must have had something to do with the test day - I really don't know. I then thought it might be the difference between S and V in weight, but really there is not even a difference, its just 25 kilos (V is heavier) but with the bigger rims and everything.

But all that counts is the comparison at that exact same day. And like gtsxr said, the only constant (beside its now an Avant and was a sedan before) is the S4. And even though the S4 got the sportdifferencial, the V60 smoked that S4. I think we can be content with the V60. They also write its the most fun car to drive all of these 4.

More to come at the end of the weekend.

#9 ·
Foxy
Thanks Foxy. Can't wait!

#15 ·
I keep refreshing the comparisons page of the site but I gather they delay web-publishing of the tests so as not to cannibalize their magazine sales. :(

#18 ·
Very nice! Much thanx for that.

A few thoughts.

- I'm more apt after seeing that to attribute the difference in track times between the Aussie Polestar and current to driver more than any other factor.
- I like how well composed the car was going over the curbs.
- I laughed when the driver reached down seemingly to do a manual shift then seemed to catch himself. :D
- Maybe it's just a trick of the eyes but does the 2->3 shift in the WOT test come sooner than 100km/hr ?

#19 ·
The test wont be published online for another month.

I'm not shure if I understood your 1st thought right. Do you think the driver is the most important factor? Need to doublecheck, but as I can remember, Christian Gebhart also drove the Aussie Polestar in the last test.

#20 ·
You understood my thought correctly; reminiscent of how "new Stig" bettered times of "old Stig" in the same vehicle. The greatest variable of any vehicle track time is the meatball behind the driver's seat. If it's the same person in both cases, then this would go back to being a head scratch.

#21 · (Edited)
First of all, sorry for my english beeing far away from perfect. If you dont get anything I translate, just ask again and I will try to explain, translate different. I dont have the time to translate the WHOLE artice. But I will translate every bit concerning the V60 Polestar. So here we go:

... Polestar works continually to lend best performance to Volvo cars, after the good review last year oft he S60 they send us the revised Wagon. The competitors again are the S4. Plus the 335xi and the just revised Insignia OPC. All of them try to get the perfomancecrown...
The Polestar sounds already great on the home stretch oft the Hockenheimring. The R6 got the biggest torque and the highest poweroutput in the comparison. But the high seating and the fluffy cushioning of the seats grow the fear that the engine with the new twin scroll turbocharger will go under in the typical volvo environment. As if! Not at all – already in the first corner the V60 surprises, like the last reviewed S60 Polestar, with a very neutral turn in. He likes beeing pushed hard very early and pulls himself out oft he corner with just little understeer. The following hard breaking isnt a problem as well, because the new brembo brakes perform very well. Just the soft pedal feel needs some acclimization to break the car at the very best point.
To find the right gear, the car now has pedals at the steering wheel. In cooperation with Aisin, Polestar found an acceptional improvement in shifting times over the last tested S60 Polestar. Even though the V60 cant compete from 0-60 with the S4 and struggles to beat the BMW.
At least, the transmission holds the gears reaching the rev limiter. But the engine does not even like really high rpm. It kind of gets lazy after 5500rpm, so you shift at about 6000 rpm.
But what really gets us excited is the suspensionsetup – again. Even though the car comes in at about 1800kg, it turns in very well, pushes even a little bit with the rearend. It has a lot of grip and almost no bodyroll. The swedes continue to use the Ohlins products. (they here explain the function oft he dampers, as we all know...) So also offside the track, there is just enough comfort. Even though you can feel transverse joints very well.
Anyway, the Polestar unspools round after round at the track, without getting tired, and by the way, he just sets the benchmark of 1.18.0 with a swedish calmness. Doing this, all of it is accompanied by this awesome sound...

Now they start with the S4, lot of understeer but good DSG (but should holds gear) etc...

Than the Opel – good, but too heavy and lazy engine, they like the manual transmission.

Than the BMW – best enginge and transmission combination, just unbeatable... but bad suspension. They write M Package would not have been a big difference...

End of review:
So the V60 POlestar is the most fun to drive and he proves it with benchmarks in almost every discipline. There rolls down a Volvo Wagon from sweden and beats the whole established german rivals. We like this kind of surprises. The guys at Polestar could really improve the weak parts oft he 2013 S60 sedan – like the transmission. Adding to this the great sound and a very good suspension, that is just at the edge for beeing fitted to a daily driver. Audi and BMW can’t compete because they have to many compromises and the well engineered Opel is just to heavy and the engine is too lazy.

The write the following next to the pictures of the Polestar:
Not much change in the enterior, infotainment kind of dissapoints because the usability is like entering a electronical maze. Way better: the transmission.
Even though its fluffy polstering, the seats have good support. The exhaust sounds great. Grip? 20 inch wheels!

0-100km/h: 5.4sek
0-200km/h: 21.2sek (remember, SportAuto tests this always with full tank and codriver)
100-0km/h: 34.4m

Overall rating: 44 points
S4: 37 points
335ci: 39 points
OPC: 37 points

#22 ·
Thanks for the translation of that test/review Foxy! That is awesome results for the V60 Polestar!

Makes me even happier that I have my name on one. The long wait for delivery will be worth it. :)

#23 · (Edited)
Opus took the time to correct my translation for proper / better english - thanks. So if you guys want a smooth(er) read, here it is:

... Polestar works continually to lend best performance to Volvo cars, after the good review last year of the S60 they send us the revised Wagon. The competitors again are the S4. Plus the 335xi and the just revised Insignia OPC. All of them try to get the performance crown...
The Polestar sounds already great on the home stretch of the Hockenheimring. The V60 has the largest torque and hp in the comparison. But the high seating and the soft cushioning of the seats make us fear that the engine with the new twin scroll turbocharger will under perform in the typical Volvo environment. As if! Not at all – already in the first corner the V60 surprises, like the last reviewed S60 Polestar, with a very neutral turn in. He likes being pushed hard very early and pulls himself out of the corner with just a little understeer. The following hard breaking isn't a problem as well, because the new Brembo brakes perform very well. Just the soft pedal feel needs some acclimatization to break the car at the very best point.
To find the right gear, the car now has paddles on the steering wheel. In cooperation with Aisin, Polestar found an acceptable improvement in shifting times over the last tested S60 Polestar. Even though the V60 can't compete from 0-60 with the S4 and struggles to beat the BMW.
At least, the transmission holds the gears reaching the rev limiter. But the engine does not like really high rpm. It gets kind of lazy after 5500rpm, so you shift at about 6000 rpm.
But what really gets us excited is the suspension setup – again. Even though the car comes in at about 1800kg, it turns in very well, pushes even a little bit with the rear end. It has a lot of grip and almost no bodyroll. The Swedes continue to use the Ohlins products. (they here explain the function of the dampers, as we all know...) So also off the track, there is just enough comfort. Even though you can feel transverse joints very well.
Anyway, the Polestar unspools round after round at the track, without getting tired, and by the way, he just sets the benchmark of 1.18.0 with a Swedish calmness. Doing this, all of it is accompanied by this awesome sound...

Now they start with the S4, lots of understeer but good DSG (but should hold gear) etc...

Then the Opel – good, but too heavy and lazy engine, they like the manual transmission.

Then the BMW – best engine and transmission combination, just unbeatable... but bad suspension. They write M Package would not have been a big difference...

End of review:
So the V60 Polestar is the most fun to drive and he proves it with benchmarks in almost every discipline. There rolls down a Volvo Wagon from Sweden and beats the whole established German rivals. We like these kind of surprises. The guys at Polestar could really improve the weak parts of the 2013 S60 sedan – like the transmission. Adding to this the great sound and a very good suspension, that is just at the edge for being fitted to a daily driver. Audi and BMW can’t compete because they have to many compromises and the well engineered Opel is just to heavy and the engine is too lazy.

They write the following next to pictures of the Polestar:
Not much change in the interior, infotainment kind of disappoints because the usability is like entering a electronical maze. Way better: the transmission.
Even though its soft polstering, the seats have good support. The exhaust sounds great. Grip? 20 inch wheels!

0-100km/h: 5.4 sec
0-200km/h: 21.2 sec (remember, SportAuto tests this always with full tank and co-driver)
100-0km/h: 34.4m

Overall rating: 44 points
S4: 37 points
335ci: 39 points
OPC: 37 points

#26 ·
Thank you very much Foxy for your efforts providing the English speakers with some good news and happiness.

#27 · (Edited)
You guys are welcome.

Here are some more datas:

Weight of V60 Polestar measured at 1776kg.

Slalom 66.9km/h
S4: 62.8km/h (this is really bad, probably due to the tires)
335: 65.5km/h
OPC: 65.9km/h

The V60 Polestar comes to stand still from 200-0km/h 10 meters before all the other rivals.

Thats about it.

#33 · (Edited)
There were actually a lot of good uk reviews like the one from steve sutcliffe or the one from TopGear. And these guys are some very well known cartester.

But in the end, I do not even care. All that counts for me is this SportAuto review and this would have also been the case if the Polestar would have lost this test. So I am pretty happy with the outcome. I dont think there are a lot of magazines out there that can compete with the knowledge and the ability to test all the cars on the same racetrack. These guys are just the benchmark in testing sportscars and sportive cars. To be honest, if the Polestar turned out to be bad, I really would have considered to not take the car. But luckily, this is not the case so I cant wait to get mine!

#43 · (Edited)
Of course its the faster car, it is 50 kg lighter and has 80 HP more. It would be a shame if it is not faster.

Just checked from an Uk review. Its says the ISF is priced at 57000.- so I guess this is for the base model without any options...

Like I said before. In switzerland, the ISF costs base 15000.- more than the fully loaded Polestar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.