SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Curious What The Continued Demand Is

7K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  Kief 
#1 ·
Curious what the continued demand is for these cars now that the majority have already been spoken for? Are there people in line anxiously waiting for a buyer to bail to scoop one up? What about folks now having to wait until the end of the year to get a S/V60 Polestar, are you considering something else and growing impatient?

I'm just bored here waiting for tint on my V60P* and wondering what (if anything) someone would offer me for my uberwagon? BTW, there really is nothing else currently around that would interest me and I certainly did not buy this car thinking I would make money off it (someone already started a Thread on that below). But assuming the demand continues to be high, it is sort of a rare situation having one of the few Polestars in the country.

#2 ·
The only way to really tell is once all the US are in the country; whether any of them sit on the dealer lots. IMO, releasing the car right before winter may hurt it a bit.

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, but I thought I read somewhere here that there were a lot of Volvo loyalists here who for whatever reason were unfortunately unable to get their hands on one.
BTW, aren't you glad you cleaned up the "Flying Banana" now that it is raining! This is the first time my P* is getting rained on :(

#14 ·
This isn't a Ferrari, nor is it a BMW 135 M from a few years ago.

I think the cars are great, but I can't believe that there are any more than around 60 max people in the US who are actively trying to track a V60/S60 Polestar down and would be willing to pay a premium for it. Let's not get crazy around here with speculation :p

#15 ·
Curious what the continued demand is for these cars now that the majority have already been spoken for? Are there people in line anxiously waiting for a buyer to bail to scoop one up? What about folks now having to wait until the end of the year to get a S/V60 Polestar, are you considering something else and growing impatient?

I'm just bored here waiting for tint on my V60P* and wondering what (if anything) someone would offer me for my uberwagon? BTW, there really is nothing else currently around that would interest me and I certainly did not buy this car thinking I would make money off it (someone already started a Thread on that below). But assuming the demand continues to be high, it is sort of a rare situation having one of the few Polestars in the country.
I'm surprised/stunned you are considering parting with your V60 Polestar. You seemed to really be into it when you took delivery and in the runup to the release. Is there something about the car that disappoints or has the novelty just worn off now that you are staring at it in your garage ? Or is it something more esoteric ie. has the car just not lived up to all the hype ? Just wondering. I would have loved to have one of the S60's, but $60k seems high to me for what this car is. That's almost Porsche Boxster money and no matter how good these cars are they're not a Porsche.

#16 ·
I would have loved to have one of the S60's, but $60k seems high to me for what this car is. That's almost Porsche Boxster money and no matter how good these cars are they're not a Porsche.
Not sure if this is a fair comparison. A C63 AMG sells in the high $60Ks and I would buy that before a Boxster. Nothing wrong with a Boxster, just not my cup of tea. So, it could be the same for someone looking at the Polestar who wants a sedan, not a car that seats two and does not have the level of options that the Polestar comes with. It is all about priorities and fitting one's particular needs.

#20 · (Edited)
He never said it didnt. Just seems he was killing time and threw the idea out there: "I'm just bored here waiting for tint on my V60P* and wondering ... ". Then when it had some traction with Volvo reps he did some further exploration of the idea, sending the pm. I didn't read disappointment being the driving force tho.

#21 · (Edited)
This is in part what I PM'd Yannis...
"Overall, the car is great! Are there some things I don't like--sure, but there are compromises with any car.
The overriding issue, is with my wife. She isn't into cars and cares more about the color of a car than the driving dynamics--so she really doesn't understand the potential of this car. But she is concerned with the size of the V60. Yes, we knew this going into the car, we spent a good amount of time looking over a V60RD, but I think I persuaded her enough that the dog would fit fine (she really would have preferred an XC60, but I wanted this!). Well now having had the car, she isn't buying it, and I also admit there really isn't enough room for our growing German Shepherd puppy--but the XC60 really isn't that much roomier.

So...could we live with the car for a few years-sure, but I'd rather strike while the iron's hot with the given market condition."

Guys, I wouldn't be as active here if I didn't like the car. Hell, why would I have spent yesterday afternoon paying to get tint if I didn't like it. I'm a car enthusiast and select cars for the way they drive and look. But I should have really considered my wife's car needs more than mine.

#23 ·
Kief,
You should have no problem in finding a buyer. My local dealer has many more inquiries and potential buyers than available cars, which I'm sure is representative of dealers throughout North America.:thumbup:

#27 ·
Just a thought, but did you guys check out an E63 AMG wagon (either new or pre-owned)? Yes it's a bump up in price from where you are with the V60 P*, but it has a ton more room, is fun to drive, and is a more dedicated "hauler."

I don't think the SQ5 will offer that much more usable space than the V60 to make it worth a switch though I've heard it's fun to drive.

I'm super happy with my XC60 RD. I kinda wanted to the V60 a little more, but my wife really wasn't feeling it so we made a compromise. IMHO, it drives, handles, and has power that's better than almost anything out there in the smaller SUV class of cars unless you start getting into the M or AMG levels which is a big bump up in power.

Talk about 1st world problems, we only use the car on weekends, etc. as neither of us need it to commute so it's really a luxury!

#31 ·
Just a thought, but did you guys check out an E63 AMG wagon (either new or pre-owned)? Yes it's a bump up in price from where you are with the V60 P*, but it has a ton more room, is fun to drive, and is a more dedicated "hauler."
Yes, needed more room for the dog. Sold the V70R and ordered an E63S. A bit pricy but 0-60 in mid-3 second range, quarter mile in mid-11's was appealing. Also, averaging 18mpg in town and 21mpg on a 400 mile trip a few weeks ago. If you can afford it, I would recommend you consider the E63S Estate. They are hard to find but some dealers have 2014's in stock.

#29 ·
From a concerned depositor

When my V60P* arrives in Dec I will take it for a good long test drive before I pay for it. My only major concern is how noisy the tires will run on our grooved concrete freeways.

my reply , blind faith noted

drove my wife's 997s (06)
to Ben Loman today , hwy 101 ,85, 17 to Scott's valley
tires howling the way over the radio ,
finally turned off the radio ,
and listened to the sport exhaust/ tire noise

hoping the v60 sings in the same fashion

#30 ·
Well, I'll say that my continued demand is still there! I should have mine within a week. I know exactly what to expect. My last Volvo, a V50 had an upgraded K16 turbo, huge FMIC, ENEM cams, KW V2 coilovers, 3" DP' 3" catback, inlet plenum, intake, upgraded brakes, upgraded sway bar,body kit, custom software from Autotech, 6 MT, Single mass flywheel, spec 3+ clutch, etc. My own little V50 "Polestar" lol. I love the size of the V60, trading down from something bigger, I love the handling a stiffer suspension brings, the Ohlins can't be any harsher than the KW's were, the p*ride will be way more compliant than what I was used to, V50 was slammed. The Polestar V60 is not going to be that much more that much more than what I had into the V50, plus all the Polestar upgrades are under warranty. sadly the V50 was totaled, otherwise I'd still be loving that car. It was taut, very fast, handled great, and surprised a lot of people. I'm hoping for more of the same from the Polestar V60.

#32 ·
The puppy in question

#33 ·
He is really handsome, and I bet a handful!

#35 ·
Kief, is the space concern with the rear seats up or down? Are there any kids in the picture? (which would prevent putting the seats down when transporting the dog too.)

Love those photos! I had two German Shepards when growing up (one after the other, not at the same time) and there's a special place in my heart for them.

#36 ·
I agree with you, German Shepherds are very special to us as well. I grew up with them as a child and now this is our 3rd boy after having just lost our beloved "Simon" last April and his beautiful sister "Stella" a year earlier. I really wanted to wait at least a year before getting another, but my wife couldn't wait. These are our only "kids."

So to answer your question, with no kids the rear seats can fold down (and they fold down nice and flat), but the problem with the seats folded is that the ceiling height is that much more reduced. Once he lays down (which is what we want as we are driving), there is a good amount of space all to himself, but the problem is as he sits or stands up to turn about or to look out the window, there is very little space. If you were to check out my post history here, you will see I had a ton of posts/questions regarding V60 dog owners and room. There was one guy with a Great Dane who shared his massive beast does well in both his V60 and S60, but they transport him on the rear seats.

IDK what we'll do. At this point, I doubt very much I will actively put this car up for sale, but if Yannis (or someone else here) came locate a buyer and it goes to a true diehard Volvo fan, then it probably would be the best for all parties. It sure looks good with the tint!

#37 ·
Size of dogs not withstanding, we have some similarities. Our dogs are our 'kids' too (at 50 and over for us two that will now never change), and we just lost two too a few months apart this past year, both being around 16. Another one was much younger so has survived them, and we adopted another earlier this year so we stand at two dogs presently. Our dogs tho are many times smaller than yours; one less than 7lbs and another a little over 20lbs.

Have you ever considered two oval dog beds on the rear seats so as to be covering them to provide protection of the seats, and comfort and grip for the dog as the car turns, and maybe a sheet covering the rear seat backrests only to protect them? It's what we do. I used to keep the Mini with the rear sheet affixed for years, and would put in and take out the dog beds as it was needed The two Shiba Inus used to sit together in the rear of the mini that way with lots of room to spare. With the smaller dimensions of the Mini and two dogs back there with plenty of room, it's probably much like the one German Shepard in the back-seat of the bigger V60. Even with the wagon we'll still keep the remaining Shiba back there that way; it'll be quite luxurious for her now alone.

Good luck whatever you do. Your statement about striking while the iron is hot makes a lot of sense tho. Do any trade now or stick with it for years.

#39 ·
Have you ever considered two oval dog beds on the rear seats so as to be covering them to provide protection of the seats, and comfort and grip for the dog as the car turns, and maybe a sheet covering the rear seat backrests only to protect them
Kief, there is a S/V60 rear seat cover you can buy as an accessory from Volvo. That would protect the entire seats including the backs. It might provide more comfort for your dog.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I actually bought an el' cheapo rear seat cover from the Mart. It's not that bad and stays put, but it's nowhere as nice as the Volvo accessory Bruce posted.
I guess if the cargo area (with seats up or down) doesn't pan out as he grows bigger, we will have to keep him on the rear seat and maybe spring for this nice accessory--it's gotta be cheaper than what I could potential lose on this sale :facepalm:
And perhaps we (more like my wife) are making the dog's comfort a bigger deal than it really is! Sure the X5 was cavernous, but I'm sure he will learn to adapt to our little uberwagon. It's not like everyone who owns a large breed dog owns an SUV.

#38 ·
Kief, there is a S/V60 rear seat cover you can buy as an accessory from Volvo. That would protect the entire seats including the backs. It might provide more comfort for your dog.

#40 ·
How do you prevent the dog from falling into the foot well when you stop? Is there a "filler board" available to fill the space? I too have a large dog and he does not like the back seat as it does not give him much room to turn around. He much prefers the flat area behind the rear seat. He grew up in a V70R which had a lot of room behind the seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.