SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Lack of spare

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  loco-diablo 
#1 ·

Today I went shopping for a true spare tire, not a can of air. In 2007 I had a tire go flat on my 07R at 70 mph. The tire was a MichelinP3, by the time I was able to get over to the side of the road there was nothing left of tire and only a can of air in the trunk. Since then I had made sure that there was some kind of spare tire in the trunk. I went shopping for Micheline ss 245-35x20zp, no such tire is currently available and not even in the pipeline. any suggestions?

#4 ·
Where was the spare? The P2s came with a spare in the trunk. This is poor planning and my wife would beat me with an abnormally long switch for this. I'll check the spare tire size and let you know.

#5 ·
Beside the can of air in the trunk there was a jack and donut spare. Because the way the scholder was fixed for drainage the car was to low to get the Volvo jack under it. The first tow truck driver had to call a second one that had a flater jack on board. Problem solved.

#9 ·
Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I've driven my V70R for ten years and have never removed the spare or jack once.:rolleyes:

#10 ·
Quick, give me 5 numbers plus a Power Ball number. I'm going to play them, cuz you're a lucky one. Way, way, luckier than I have been.

#11 ·
OK! I'm buying 2 quick-picks @ for this week's Power Ball and Mega Million!

#14 ·
The worst part is they discontinued the spare tire kit. I'd like to keep one in the garage in case of a 'local' flat. I could run home, grab it and throw it on. This would allow proper repair of the tire if it's just a puncture. I've heard that once you use the 'fix a flat' stuff, the tire is junk. On longer trips I'd throw it in the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
The worst part is they discontinued the spare tire kit. I'd like to keep one in the garage in case of a 'local' flat. I could run home, grab it and throw it on. This would allow proper repair of the tire if it's just a puncture. I've heard that once you use the 'fix a flat' stuff, the tire is junk. On longer trips I'd throw it in the trunk.

Once going flat, the tire would be junk anyway unless you ran over a spike at an extremely low speed.

The spare would not work anyway (for the front wheels) due to the brake calipers. You would need to move a rear wheel up front and install the spare in the rear.

You can always buy an extra Polestar wheel with the tire mounted and balanced, for the longer trips, if that's what makes you feel more secure.

#17 ·
My wife has a knack for finding nails with the center tread! I have plugged more tires than I can remember. I have saved a slow leak nailed tire many times. Just need something for a quick emergency. I don't think I'd buy an alloy w/ tire for that. All I'd like is a donut to get me to a repair shop.

#18 ·
My wife has a knack for finding nails with the center tread! I have plugged more tires than I can remember. I have saved a slow leak nailed tire many times. Just need something for a quick emergency. I don't think I'd buy an alloy w/ tire for that. All I'd like is a doughnut to get me to a repair shop.
This man speak wisdom, and my reality. Only I'm the one always finding the nails (I also drive many times more miles than the Mrs. so that's to be expected.)

When I started driving a car that came "sans spare" (even came sans fix-a-flat kit), whenever I went on a road trip of several hundred mile round trip, I'd put a spare rim + tire in the roof storage container I'd need to use for the storage space (when the summer tires were mounted, I'd travel with snow tire as spare, and visa versa). The 2nd time I took a trip doing that, it saved my arse when I cracked a rear rim at 300 miles away from home; not catastrophic failure but one making for a slow leak that would take days to completely leak out. But count me as another who would prefer not to have that safety with a full sized rim+tire in the back storage of the V60 (as I'll no longer be using the roof container) given the space that will take-up.

#19 ·
So I did manage to pull off obtaining the factory trim and spare kit when I purchased my V60 earlier this year:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-spare-wheel&p=2371720&viewfull=1#post2371720

Regardless of the tire getting destroyed or not with the can of goop the process to use the goop takes a much greater amount of time. I've cut down 4 tires in the past 6 years due to road debris or construction bits or things my tires magically found in the home depot parking lot. If you have a bad enough puncture that damages the rim then you are completely out of luck and have to wait for a tow instead of spending 10 minutes changing the tire. Not having a spare was a no go for safety and convenience reasons in the case of a flat. There's no reason to spend any extra time on the side of the road than you have to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.