SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Vibration while turning and accelerating

27K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  TomOldi 
#1 · (Edited)
I have read a couple posts regarding this and would like a log regarding it. When accelerating from a stop around a turn there is a very distinct vibration through the steering wheel and car, very mechanical. It increases with torque load but even occurs with light throttle. What is causing this and is it detrimental? It certainly feels like something in the drivetrain.

#2 · (Edited)
I believe its the Haldex thats causing the vibration, this has been up to discussion many times in Swedens biggest Volvo-forum.
Is there any difference from normal to sport mode when you accelerate from stop around a turn?
For example: XC70 AWD has two different software that you can choose for the Haldex 5, one thats not forcing so much torque to the rear axel, and one who does.
People who decided to use the second (harder) software described the same vibrations as you are.
The Polestar cars have even more "aggressive" software to sent power to the rear axel.
Mine S60 Polestar is going to be delivered next week so i will "look and feel" for this mysel then.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
As of yet, I have not noticed this phenomenon in D, S, Or ESC off mode, progressively sending more power to the rear. I took the back way to work this morning, with lot's of turns and powered out of every one. Zero vibration, smooth as silk. Kief complained of excessive noise, and a lack of refinement, I wonder if the two are related? Whatever it is, it appears from the above post there is a fix. I'm just curious why some experience this and others don't.

#5 ·
Updated my previous post with the Tech Jouranl # and link to the member who had this issue, still can't remember where I read about the rear axle shims.

#6 ·
There is a thread on the XC60 forum about this, on the T6 R-D AWD model there are a handful of people with these exact symptoms. There is a TSB or something and apparently it's the Corner-Traction-Control torque vectoring thing (not just the Haldex AWD) causing the issue.

Here is the thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?215174-T6-AWD-Vibration-Shimmy

#7 ·
+1 That's where I read about the shims ordered for the rear axle.

#9 ·
Yeah, tech drive along confirmed issue quickly today. Volvo will report back to me on Monday with prognosis.

#10 ·
Very interested in your update.
Curious: are these systems exclusive to V60Ps?
Did not notice any when driving #14 S60P.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Just to clarify for others, it is not a noise. It is a vibration emanating from the rear end. And it can also occur in a straight line on harder acceleration, it doesn't have to be a turn.

Today I did note the harmonics that Chris@Swedespeed mentioned and that others have guessed were tire related. I am convinced this is high frequency exhaust resonation, I was able to quiet the sound with a quick gear shift on multiple occasions. Most people will never notice this, it is high frequency and subtle but it is real. I don't think it anything that needs to be addressed.

#13 ·
Had the car in today. This model will not accept any of the current DEM software so it has to go to the engineers. We were able to disable the rear transaxle and that stopped the shaking in the rear. To be clear this is NOT a noise, it is a distinct shuddering that vibrates the rear end.

#15 ·
Keep us posted, no problem with mine. they will fix it.

#17 ·
They are now sending out a field rep for a drive and diagnosis. Anyone have experience with this? I know what it is, just wondering how the process goes. Won't happen til later this month.

#19 ·
Since this thread started I have been listening really hard to my car, tire noise on concrete, yes, some, but not to the annoying point. Otherwise, nothing. Varied speeds, all gears, I cannot replicate what a few are experiencing.

#23 ·
Again, good positive news. Can't wait for #39 V60 to finally get here!

#22 ·
+1! on the Goodyear F1. The great sticky handling was not worth the noise. I changed to Yokohama YK580 on my V70R. Smooth and quiet with great grip and longer life.

#26 ·
With a December delivery date and a refundable deposit, i will be watching this thread closely. I really want this car, but would like to see how Volvo and Polestar handle this issue on a limited run Halo car before moving forward with the purchase. With so few customer cars being delivered to date, i suspect many are in the same position as me.

#33 · (Edited)
Today the field rep visited. They installed spacers on the driveshaft to shim it upward into better alignment (center the carrier bearing). The issue is currently resolved after test drive.

I'll give it a while longer to be sure. Sure glad there was a mechanical fix, and this isn't a Polestar issue.

#34 ·
So glad to hear it's been resolved. I have yet to experience the issue, only 900 miles on my car, but, if I do, I'm glad to know there is a fix. I was quite certain they would come up with a solution.

#36 ·
I cannot comment on that, I was not there for the test drive and fix. What I can say is that my service advisor confirmed the field tech noted the vibration on test drive and the immediate fix was to install spacers that realigned the driveshaft so that it was centered on the rear transaxle carrier bearing. This has resolved the vibration issue. I would also add that this was the diagnosis made by myself and a knowledgeable friend on a test drive in post #16 above. It all makes sense and is a sound mechanical solution. I cannot comment on the underlying manufacturing issue that would result in the misalignment.

#37 ·
I just took delivery of a 15.5 V60 R-Design and I noticed the vibrating while turning and accelerating today. I'll plan to drop it off :(

#38 ·
This is kind of the doctor phenomenon (Chris and I being hardcore Volvo guys). If you are a doc, stuff goes wrong when you are the one that needs medical care. The evidence is anecdotally strong. The advantage we have is knowing enough to not have a limb lost mistakenly. Very little risk in this case, you'll be fine. :p

Something on the line they need to fix I guess. I'm sure they'll pull out some tricks for Chris. Mine was perfect after.

#39 ·
I'm confident they'll get it adjusted and hopefully Volvo will or has already identify and fixed the root cause for new builds.

#43 ·
Quick trick
Did #64 and Chris's new R-design
Run down the line on the same day
Both being blue ,

With 64 heading off to polestar for the flex mods
And Chris's r car arriving in sept also

Hmm Sunday thought

I'm sure Grecian can track the line run dates on both cars

#44 ·
spacers installed - no more vibrations with V60. :)

#45 ·
Great! Any details on the spacers, just in case?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.