SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

any hard numbers yet for track times and dyno numbers ?

27K views 122 replies 27 participants last post by  Marc Collins 
#1 ·
eager to see what this does at the track in a straight line 1/4 most big tuning companies brag about this havent seen a thing on the polestar ?

also any one get there polestar dynoed yet ? also curous to see the results, a lot of upgrads for very little hp ? so im wondering if there sand baging it at all ?

most cars i.e evo x, sti and audi s4 with very minor work gets well over 100hp increases, this has a bigger turbo, intercooler, and open exhaust. and only 20 hp ?

thanks for thie insight,

#2 ·
Bear in mind I am only guessing, I would suspect a) the numbers are under stated or b) it was detuned slightly to meet RD mpg numbers. Volvo made it a priority that the Polestar models meet the regular MPG ratings.

#6 ·
I'm planning to have mine put on a 4 wheel dyno after I've put some miles on it to wear it in a little, because I'm curious. I'm planning to take it to CBRD in York PA.

First I have to get the car first though, supposed to arrive during week of 20-24th October

#7 ·
I'd be curious to know if the HP/TQ values would be different in D vs S. The car feels somewhat docile in D and feels dramatically different in S. It "feels" like it has way more on tap in S mode, although this could just be the more aggressive shift points, and the visceral feel from the exhaust opening up.

#8 ·
eager to see what this does at the track in a straight line 1/4 most big tuning companies brag about this havent seen a thing on the polestar ?
Dont understand how someone can brag about 1/4 miles times. That is just boring and a question of who has the most hp...
What really cares is handling and cornering.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm kinda bummed we are yet to see an american magazine get one to test... or at least that I've seen. Hoping it drops into the 12's but doubt it as the wheels and brakes probably added some rotational weight.
I had dropped a Hint to the guys at GRM that it would be neat if they could grap a polestar, M3, C63, and S4 and have some of the local "fan boys" do a shoot at test in them. We could certainly arrange to do lap times at sebring in them with NASA.

#13 ·
Well.. Received a message today.

First dyno tests suggests the P is pretty down on power.

Peak torque, a peak and not a plateau, is exactly 500 Nm but steep nose dive after that. Totally out of breath after 5K RPM.
It is so shocking that it is suspected the car didn't receive polestar software but stock T6 software instead. This because apart from the torque peak the numbers were pretty much identical to stock T6 spec.

#14 · (Edited)
Can you post the dyno sheet? 500nm is 368 ft/lbs. If thats measured at the wheels thats pretty strong because at the wheels is probably a good 20% loss.

#15 ·
Can you post the dyno sheet?
No I can't. Have to wait till tomorrow. Maybe I will receive a dyno sheet by then because for today they even lost faith in their own dyno system.
Multiple runs were performed with the same output. The graph could be wrong but the peak power number should be accurate.
Driving the car on the street suggested the dyno results were pretty much accurate. Engine showed similar power behaviour. Tire ripping at first but no use to rev beyond 5K RPM.

#20 ·
That's fine, but you can't hold Guestimated Crank Shaft numbers as Gospel. I raced a car in a race class back in 2009 that was spec'd hp to weight via a dyno at the track. I learned how much variation there is in the instruments and the users of the instruments as my car that year had 100's of dyno pulls on 20 or more different Dyno's. I had two Dyno on the same day on the same car untouched of the same brand read a 48hp difference. I can tell you on that car on a dynojet that Race tires vs street tires were about 4 hp. I can tell you that 30psi vs 50 psi was 7hp. I can tell you that strapping it to the front of the roller vs the back side of the roller was a difference in power (keep that one to myself). I can tell you that a Fan on the car vs no fan was about 10hp. And Hood up vs hood down was a noticeable difference. I can tell you Cold Race tires vs Hot race tires made a difference. Add all of this up and you can quickly make a 300hp and a 350hp car dyno very similar. I can tell you that the same car on a Mustang Dyno Read 291whp and latter that day on a dynojet made 334whp.

#21 ·
symtetrical AWDs like the subarus loose more due to a 2nd diff, they loose around 20% driveline loss

evos being transverse engine loose a little less around 18% which would be about the same in our case being transverse mounted AWD set up.

of course those AWD system are much much better then any of the volvos, especial with active center diffs and active yaw control systems

then it goes RWD and then FWD for the least drive line loss.

as mrsideways stated there are a lot of varations. depending on height above sea level, temps, and fuel.

obvously load bearing dynos are the best ,

here is us dynoing my evo x over at TTP engineering

we must have did 20 runs on constantly adjusting the maps, the car was brand new =>

#24 ·
This can all be resolved. Run it down the 1/4 mile. You can calculate HP based on Trap speed and weight. A regular S60 RD will trap 103-104 mph. I'd expect the polestar needs to be 105 or more.

#25 ·
I find it hard to believe the Polestar you tested "might" not have received the larger IC and reworked turbo, but we humans are prone to make blunders now and again. In pure speculation, since the numbers are so close to a stock T6, maybe someone forgot to load the software, but I doubt that too, that is easy to check at a dealer. There are a lot of reasons one particular car might post below average numbers on any given day. If you test another Polestar, throw another car on there also to see if also tests below spec. on that dyno. I have seen a lot of variation in dyno runs, I don't get too worked up about it. Personally, there best used to gauge the success of modifications you've done, even then on any given day...

#26 ·
I will admit to seeing some inconsistent performance, but I had put it down to ambient temps over 85F and terrible Cali fuel (and trust me, CA fuel is awful). I also fueled up with 95 (mixing 100 fuel), with sub 75F temps, and the car performed very well. Since this was just over 600miles odo for me, I'm reserving judgement. My R and our 135 didn't really come into their own til about 2000mi. All that aside, a 60hp deficit is worth investigating.

#27 ·
There have been situations where some cars (mainly R-Designs) were not loaded with the Polestar software.

#28 ·
I recall reading that this Polestar 'tune' is very fuel/octane dependant. That it really does make a difference. Could that be a factor here in the engine shooting it load so early, and being inconsistent at lower rpms?

#29 ·
Does anyone have the polestar sorftware part number(s). You can plug into vida and see the software partnumber in the ecu

#32 ·
325 at the crank seems low, bad gas is my first guess.

#36 ·
What are the "at the wheel" measured values with only atmospheric and transmission gearing adjustments applied?

#37 ·
I have a time for 0 to 60 for 01. I used a scan gauge that I used on my 13 S60RD that always ran it in 5.2 exactly what Volvo claimed. The number for 01 was obtained in the following manner. Using launch control, shift from 1st to 2nd at 5500 and run through 60mph in 2nd. The number is 3.4.
Tire noise. 01 was delivered with 42 pounds in all tires and there was very little or no noise. Took the pressure down to 38 front 35 rear the same as I ran on the 13RD with no tire noise, but lots of noise for 01. I am now running 40 lbs all around and there is very little noise.
An update on 01, she has 2700 miles on her odometer. Can't help driving her, it's so much fun.

#45 ·
Not a chance. The new E63 AMG wagon pulls 3.3sec for 0-60. "Official" figures are 577hp and 590ft lb... but tuners like AMS and some indie reviews have pegged the stock HP in the ~650hp area and 660ft lb of torque... and the weight is 4,700lbs... so unless the 3,900 lb V60 has over 500hp, there ain't no way it comes in under 4.0sec

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.