SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

au revoir #31 v60 in rebel blue, you're free!

8K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  JAM2 
#1 ·
I have walked away from V60 #31 in Rebel Blue due to arrive on December 30th in Seattle.

Why the cold feet? In order of severity:

1) No roof rails. This is the main reason. Without the ability to put a standard rack up top that has the crossbars extend PAST the mounting location for a bike mount, it makes getting something on the roof too hard. The factory workaround intended for sedans doesn't work and is hideous when left on the car year round, as this will be.

2) Nubuck textile. It isn't leather, yet we get charged for it. Further, the sport seats hold you in place plenty and you just can't slide in/out as easily as with leather. There is also the lint-stick issue, which just isn't going to cut it. Another local dealer says they have trouble selling the Nubuck and they're only bringing in cars with leather...trading in their inventory of Nubuck for ones that have leather instead.

3) Blue and Black only. Looking for white, but COULD live with the Rebel Blue. Odd that other locations have more color choices.

With such a special car, I realize you won't be able to please all the people all the time; however, stripping off the rails is the main deal-breaker here. I love everything else about the Polestar and wish it could work, but the stripping of those rails kills the deal. It makes no sense in a wagon to neuter the utility of the car like that. Wagon = hauler.

So, I'm out. Have ordered a V60 RD in white...will be here shortly.

See less See more
#2 ·
no roof rails was known a LONG time ago.....

#6 ·
not nearly as long ago as when most of us ordered.

I went thru this same thing and completely understand walking away for this.

#3 ·
I have walked away from V60 #31 in Rebel Blue due to arrive on December 30th in Seattle.

1) No roof rails. - snip -hideous - snip -.

2) Nubuck textile. It isn't leather, - snip - There is also the lint-stick issue, - snip - trading in their inventory of Nubuck for ones that have leather instead.

3) Blue and Black only. Looking for white, but COULD live with the Rebel Blue. Odd that other locations have more color choices.

With such a special car, I realize you won't be able to please all the people all the time; however, stripping off the rails is the main deal-breaker here. I love everything else about the Polestar and wish it could work, but the stripping of those rails kills the deal. It makes no sense in a wagon to neuter the utility of the car like that. Wagon = hauler.

So, I'm out. Have ordered a V60 RD in white...will be here shortly.
since i was looking for something with only a little more utility than a sedan i can prefer appearance over utility.
though i have driven only a few hundred miles i have had several people in and out of the car and carried a fair amount of cargo, seats up, seats down. haven't yet seen any lint sticking to the rough surface. i do hope it wears as well as leather. after ten years the blue leather in the r looked almost new and was still soft and comfortable.
sliding in and out of the star is as effortless as it was with the leather in the r. i would rather have had leather, like you, but the so called "nubuck" looks just fine. good solid grip in the corners; better than the leather, though some of that must be due to the better bolstering.
and i too would have liked white, or silver, but i can't believe how people stop me on the street to ask what the car is ("that's a volvo?") and tell me how much they like the blue. they don't have to wash it.
so have a ton of fun in the rd, i don't think you're giving up a lot.

#4 ·
As stated, the nubuck wasn't a deal-killer, the blue wasn't a deal-killer, but the rails are a deal-killer. I put money down before we saw the rails (there is another thread on it) and I was trying to figure out if they could be retro-fitted. After looking at a bunch of stock V60s and one Polestar V60 (madden's), and then talking to service...there wasn't a way to get those rails back on the Polestar. So, we'll save $13K and get the R-design, which is good enough for us. As good as the Polestar, well, obviously "no". I like exclusive cars and this would have been the most exclusive car I would ever be able to buy. Alas, I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I don't know if the service/sales people were just trying to stroke my ego or something, buy they also have seen the Nubuck wearing more than full leather. The Mrs, who will be driving the car, definitely notices a difference getting in and out as well as the little lint/hairs that stick to the Nubuck which can't simply be wiped away with your hand.

I'm taking the path of least resistance. It's her car. She doesn't like some things about the Polestar, all valid, so who am I to argue. We just sold the car it is replacing last night in prepration. Got nearly 50% more than what the dealer was offering on trade, so we're good.

#5 ·
It's a little early to tell, but the nubuck seems pretty easy to keep clean. I don't know about long term wear. I've had leather seats replaced by an upholstery shop before, it's about 500.00 a seat. So not an issue for me, if and when that time comes. I don't know how you guy's can talk your wives into getting a Polestar, or any car, seems like it failed with Kief, at least your pulling out before you take possession of the V60P*. My wife picks her own cars with a little nudging from me on options, etc. But not the car itself, it's always an Audi.
The V60 RD is a very capable car and you'll get it in your color choice with rails! Since it's your wife's car, probably the better choice. Put IPD's rear sway bar on it, and your good to go. Now someone else has a chance at it in Seattle area, unless Barrier already has a back-up buyer.

#9 ·
I don't know how you guy's can talk your wives into getting a Polestar, or any car.
This.

I also don't understand why someone picks a car with a specific set of options and also direction and wants to turn it over in to a mainstream cargo hauler.
In this case, for the US, the V60RD is the outspoken choice to do so.

#7 ·
Who is the dealer?

1) No roof rails. This is the main reason. Without the ability to put a standard rack up top that has the crossbars extend PAST the mounting location for a bike mount, it makes getting something on the roof too hard
Too bad you could not wait...there will be a tow hitch available for the V60.

2) Nubuck textile. It isn't leather, yet we get charged for it. Further, the sport seats hold you in place plenty and you just can't slide in/out as easily as with leather. There is also the lint-stick issue, which just isn't going to cut it. Another local dealer says they have trouble selling the Nubuck and they're only bringing in cars with leather...trading in their inventory of Nubuck for ones that have leather instead.
I totally get your dislike of this integer ion but I do not buy the statement that your dealer is trading them away....to who? and if that is the case, how come they cannot sell this interior but the other dealers can?
All U.S. Polestar dealers get the same two colors.

#8 ·
The dealer is Barrier in Bellevue, I haven't asked them if the have plan b already lined up.

There is a big rear diffuser and I was told no tow hitch rack is available. Besides, we have a tandem, and those don't fit crosswise on the back of the car.

They just say that they have a harder time selling them, so they trade with other dealers when they have a confirmed sale. The Bellevue dealer also said they stopped ordering the climate package because too many folks complained about the wavy lines. This is why Volvo offers heated sears without the full climate package. I want the heated steering wheel, but you must get the climate package, and heated windshield with lines, for that one option.

#10 ·
The dealer is Barrier in Bellevue, I haven't asked them if the have plan b already lined up.

There is a big rear diffuser and I was told no tow hitch rack is available. Besides, we have a tandem, and those don't fit crosswise on the back of the car.

They just say that they have a harder time selling them, so they trade with other dealers when they have a confirmed sale. The Bellevue dealer also said they stopped ordering the climate package because too many folks complained about the wavy lines. This is why Volvo offers heated sears without the full climate package. I want the heated steering wheel, but you must get the climate package, and heated windshield with lines, for that one option.
For 2015.5MY you can order the Climate Package with Heated Windshield Delete; Polestar models come with this version of the Climate Package. 2015MY OSD allowed for the Heated Windshield Delete as well. The US site doesn't show it in the builder, but the dealers paperwork shows it as an option. I have the heated windshield on my 2015 V60RD and it's mildly annoying, more so at night, but at least I have the option to call up VCNA and complain and they'll change out the windshield like they did for my parents 2014 XC60. I agree with your statement about your dealer having a hard time trying to sell the Nubuck seats, almost all the NJ dealers by me have been sitting on those with that interior option; all new orders have been full leather now. I personally didn't care which interior I got, but I must say I'm happy that I got the full leather interior.

#15 ·
My apologies. I cancelled my V60 order with Barrier and they indicated that the person who cancelled their Polestar order was buying my car. Maybe that was the original plan and they found one in Oregon? Mine was a white R wagon, with everything and full leather interior. In any case good luck with the new car!

#16 ·
That's the deal breaker for me as well. I would want full leather and in a unique colour. Three V60 Polestars for sale here and not one of them has sold for over a month. Go figure.

#20 ·
With regard to the heated windshield, of course its a personal choice, but it really is a great feature, depending on the climate you live in. I moved over from the UK 7 years ago, and the vehicle I left behind had it installed, and it was fantastic feature, but the car was stored outside every night, and we tended to get a lot of frost in the winter, so it became invaluable, it was called 'Quickclear' and it would clear the screen in about 20 seconds from turning on.

All that being said, I really wouldn't need it much now, as my car is garaged, but I'd still have it, just for when there is a snow storm or ice storm while the car is parked at work. The wavy lines do take a bit of getting used to, and the only time they really bothered me was in fog, and I would find my eyes trying to focus on the wavy lines, as in fog there is little to focus on.

#21 ·
If I recall from polestar training you can add roof racks not rails
I would need to check my sources

#25 ·
I bought your car... and I applaud your decision. :D

My Cayenne came without roof rails as well and I couldn't figure out why that was an option (at least it's an option, but who wouldn't want rails on an SUV) at Porsche (bought it off the lot). I made due with clamp style rack that infringed on the door... not ideal, but worked for me. I saw that the Polestar didn't have the rails either and well.. just thought "here I go again...".

Personally my bigger gripe is the damn climate control not being in sync on both sides from one knob (my Porsche had a "mono" button so you didn't have to fuss to get the car at one temp)... but again, not a deal breaker for me. :)

#31 is in good hands. Thanks!

This

to this:

#27 ·
Only had the Polestar since Wednesday night... so I'm on day 3 and I've logged 50 miles or so. I put about 20k miles on that Porsche. It's a little too soon to draw any conclusions but I can tell you as of right now, I do not miss the Porsche. They're really pretty different beasts... the Polestar reminds me of my 2010 S4 more than anything so far.

The GTS had three suspension settings at the touch of a button, not to mention ride height adjustments, another 3 levels for that. Infotainment wise however, the Polestar has it beat for sure.

Interior... GTS had leather everywhere... the Polestar doesn't have it on the dash, etc... but I do like the seats about equally. We'll see on long trips.

Overall I'm pretty darn happy... and even though I had to put some negative equity onto my purchase, my overall cost went down about $20k and my car payments dropped about $450/mo. I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing right now.

I'll be back to Porsche for another 911 as a 2nd car at some point...

#29 ·
Ok cool! Well, you looked pretty damn happy... and I was just hoping I'd have that same smile on my face... and it worked out! I had to track down my stock Cayenne Rims... I can't tell you how much of a shot in the dark it was to get those back... but I did it... and it worked out.

My Z4 M Coupe's days are numbered... I'll be picking another 997 Turbo soon. I need a little bit of Porsche in my life. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.