SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

RICA ECU Upgrade for S60/V60 Polestar

58K views 102 replies 43 participants last post by  richp4003 
#1 ·
We knew it wouldn't be long before the aftermarket got hold of the exciting Polestar models, and start improving on an already awesome automobile! :)

RICA Engineering is at the forefront and has just introduced their ECU upgrade for your S60/V60 Polestar!

With gains of 30bhp and 48ftlbs, we're now looking at the Polestar model producing a total of 380bhp and 417ftlbs respectively! Maximum torque is delivered 500rpm earlier at 2500rpm and the rev limiter has been raised to 6750rpm! RICA has also modified the gearbox to accommodate for the additional power plus manage shifting manually in Sport mode to 6750rpm!

To do this upgrade we would need to send the ECU to RICA and then the i-Softloader will be compatible with their car. You can switch between the original and optimized RICA software and handle future updates after servicing.

For more information, please refer to RICA's product page

Here's a fun photo of our R's with a Polestar S60 from one of our local meets :)

Comment below, PM or email us if you have any questions! :)

Cheers,

Humza

See less See more
#2 ·
That's awesome that a tuner was able to make the readily available already! Just a question, have they made a tune for R-Design owners who already have the regular Polestar tune; I noticed they have just for the regular T6 to bring it from 300hp to 330hp.

#26 ·
RICA does have an ECU upgrade for the S60 T6 and T5 models but if you already have a Polestar tune then it does not make much sense to get the RICA tune. Kind of like getting an ipd tune and then getting a RICA tune.

Yes, but what about emissions legality--in the U.S. and especially in CA?
You can get the RICA i-Softloader unit with the tune upgrade so you can swap between the RICA tune and stock program any time. So if emission is an issue you can flash it back to stock for the test and then flash the tune back in once done.

Volvo warranty approved ?
No, but the car is still covered under warranty unless they can prove that the tune caused a part to fail then that part is not covered under warranty.

Is there a dyno chart available? It sounds like all the power is in the mid-range. I wonder how much extra there is at the top of the rev range. I wouldn't think they would increase the limiter if there isn't power to be made up there.

#3 ·
wow, that was fast. But at 2,500 Euro's 3,166.00 USD, kinda spendy.

#7 ·
Is there a dyno chart available? It sounds like all the power is in the mid-range. I wonder how much extra there is at the top of the rev range. I wouldn't think they would increase the limiter if there isn't power to be made up there.

#8 ·
geez...that Polestar edition looks like a crossover next to the Rs.

oh and you modified the gearbox SOFTWARE....which will probably grenade it on down the road....the TF-80SC was already at its reliability limits...

#9 ·
Lol, those R's are slammed, put it next to a stock car, it's all relative.

#10 ·
Interesting, I guess if we start with the T6 300hp baseline and compare the enhancements:

RD: 25hp w/ tune (325)
P*: 45hp w/ turbo, exhaust & tune (345)
RICA: 75hp w/ turbo, exhaust & tune (375-380-ish)

Can the RICA tune not include a gearbox update? The Polestar configuration is pretty nice, wouldn't want to mess with too many variables to maintain longevity. Some P2 Geartronic owners have tuned well into the high 300hp range and if I recall correctly, the transmissions have held together just fine.

Perhaps we can convince our friends at Polestar will unleash a little more hp for 2016 or as an over the counter accessory update so Volvo can maintain their fleet EPA requirements when the vehicle is sold new.

#11 ·
Interesting, I guess if we start with the T6 300hp baseline and compare the enhancements:

RD: 25hp w/ tune (325)
P*: 45hp w/ turbo, exhaust & tune (345)
RICA: 75hp w/ turbo, exhaust & tune (375-380-ish)

Can the RICA tune not include a gearbox update? The Polestar configuration is pretty nice, wouldn't want to mess with too many variables to maintain longevity. Some P2 Geartronic owners have tuned well into the high 300hp range and if I recall correctly, the transmissions have held together just fine.

Perhaps we can convince our friends at Polestar will unleash a little more hp for 2016 or as an over the counter accessory update so Volvo can maintain their fleet EPA requirements when the vehicle is sold new.
I would feel better if Polestar themselves would offer a software enhancement direct. i.e. Polestar v. 1.1
Who better to increase their performance, which could also prevent voiding warranties.

#12 ·
If Polestar ever releases an accessory update that would be awesome and I'd be all over it. Being a test case for after market software is not that appealing on a brand new car. I had too many issues with after market software on my last Volvo. Polestar didn't up the power that much over an RD, given a reworked turbo, bigger FMIC and exhaust, then again, they had to match the RD fuel economy per Volvo. I am not unhappy with the power delivery of the Polestar, on the contrary I'm pretty happy with it, but if they made an update available that put a little more HP at the top end, and it didn't void the warranty, I would buy it.

#29 ·
The "send the ECU to RICA (in the Netherlands) and then the i-Softloader will be compatible with their car" is how they get the PIN to unlock it... that's what they needed to do when I asked about the tune for my V8.

#17 ·
Torque is what breaks things (ie transmission). All these cars have plenty of torque (I mean you always want more). What they really need is a turbo that can hold boost all the way to readline. Same tq level but hp well in the 400s. When I data logged my car it made something like 16.6 psi at 3k but only 9psi by redline. The unfortunate thing is all the tuning in the world doesnt make up for a turbo that just can flow enough air. I'd happily take 300 or 400 more RPM of lag for more top end. IIRC correctly when I was logging it was slightly faster to shortshift the car at 5500rpm.
So while I'm excited to see them playing with the car. A slight turbo upgrade for all T6s with software will be ideal. If thats not available by the time mines out of warranty I'll be pretty bummed.

#25 ·
Exactly how I look at it. Commercially it would have been the better choice also. The 500 Nm being a peak or a plateau doesn't matter when it comes to advertised numbers. If there was more consistency under the curve, like a more sustained 450 Nm, I think the car would have performed better plus lesser stress for the drivetrain but somehow I'm under the impression that Volvo calculates drivetrain stress differently.

#19 ·
So someone set me straight in my thinking...... But why spend r&d dollars on a vehicle that there are 80 of in the states , 750 worldwide , when you don't have a tune that can be delivered for the regular t5 and t6 and t6 r-design where thousands and thousands of vehicles are out there sold since 2011? You may have a tune for these vehicles but have no way to get the tune in our cars without car being in one of your facilities on site, or am I incorrect on the information I have here? Additionally, what % or the 80 US owners of the polestar are going to want to void their warranty right away? What % of the thousands of us whose warranty is expiring soon 2011 and 2012 t5 and t6 owners , are looking for increased performance in our vehicles?. I'm just saying I think your r&d dollars would be better spent on the standard 2011-2014 cars rather than a one off limited production vehicle. Maybe I'm wrong ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
So someone set me straight in my thinking...... But why spend r&d dollars on a vehicle that there are 80 of in the states , 750 worldwide , when you don't have a tune that can be delivered for the regular t5 and t6 and t6 r-design where thousands and thousands of vehicles are out there sold since 2011? You may have a tune for these vehicles but have no way to get the tune in our cars without car being in one of your facilities on site, or am I incorrect on the information I have here? Additionally, what % or the 80 US owners of the polestar are going to want to void their warranty right away? What % of the thousands of us whose warranty is expiring soon 2011 and 2012 t5 and t6 owners , are looking for increased performance in our vehicles?. I'm just saying I think your r&d dollars would be better spent on the standard 2011-2014 cars rather than a one off limited production vehicle. Maybe I'm wrong ....

Perhaps the T5 and T6 engines simply don't have the capacity for significantly more power with only a tune?

#21 ·
Perhaps, which I accept . So let me rephrase the question, why not put the r&d resources into offering a turbo upgrade with tune for these 2011+ P3 vehicles of which there are thousands and thousands more potential buyers ? I'm not aware of anyone offering such a product/upgrade . Again , I would love to be wrong in this matter because I would be interested if there was such an upgrade ........

#23 ·
Perhaps, which I accept . So let me rephrase the question, why not put the r&d resources into offering a turbo upgrade with tune for these 2011+ P3 vehicles of which there are thousands and thousands more potential buyers ? I'm not aware of anyone offering such a product/upgrade . Again , I would love to be wrong in this matter because I would be interested if there was such an upgrade ........

I'm not too sure. My best guess is that the market is simply too small. I don't imagine a ton of S60 buyers are the demographic that's going to be wanting to do turbo swaps. Maybe in a few years when used prices continue to drop. The Polestar models on the other hand are in general owned by drivers with disposable income who are performance oriented.

#22 ·
Polestar v60 0-60

So with the additional power what is the improved 0-60 and 1/4mile times?
Also rica website has some math problems... They stock is 350bhb and 500nm with additional 40bhb and 120nm new numbers are 380bhp and 565nm. The transmission manufactured states tranny is good for up to 320 ft lbs we are really exceeding these numbers.. Just the polestar edition power worries me of the longevity unless they have done some actual physical improvement on the tranny...

#24 ·
I disagree. I think the overall number of people that would do a turbo swap / tune on a t6 or t6 R-design worldwide would be much greater. Versus an expensive tune , on a Brand New car, which would void the warranty on a vehicle where there are 80 in the US? I'm talking sheer quantities of owners here , not percentages .... That is my point. I don't see the point of spending a lot of $ in resources for such a limited production vehicle.

#35 ·
Volvo's PINCODE BANDITRY.

It has been alluded to here before that this is not legal in North America.

Certainly it is not legal here within the European Union as it breaches one of the basic cornerstones of EU law, that of not exploiting a dominant market position.

I believe that BSR have to date taken a somewhat unfocused approach to this in some minor Swedish courts, however they may try again and succeed.

On a more personal basis I find it quite extraordinary that Volvo have implemented this PINCODE BANDITRY as in the most basic sense it prevents an owner from enjoying his car in whatever way he chooses.

At the root of this, in part, is Volvo's intent to prevent any reasonable competition to its shabby and contrived 'polestar' sub brand. To an extent perhaps they are succeeding in some markets, not here in the UK however where take-up of p* branded stuff through dealers is negligible and many of the V70 p*s are unsold, gathering dust with those dealers who fell for the BS and bought for stock.

Don.

#39 ·
All you need is a 3-day full VIDA subscription with software downloads which runs about $135, possibly less.
With this, you can download something to unlock the ECU or the PIN or whatever so that you can then do tuning.
This is what RICA is doing and also what Shark Performance is doing.

The downside is you do need to physically send them your ECU before a softloader will work, plus that cost gets passed on to the consumer of course.

#37 ·
Give me a break, you are calling a Polestar a "shabby and contrived sub brand"? Have you even driven one? Or are you just grinding an ax over "pin code banditry"?
Volvo put into place the lock out presumably to protect sales of their own branded Polestar tunes, which is unfortunate, but a reality. MTE, RICA and others will eventually figure out a way around it, without having to have the ECU in house to circumvent Volvo's lock out. No one will want to pull the ECU and send it to a tuner,
it's too inconvenient. There is a market, tuners will just have to figure it out, if they want sales.

#38 ·
Have you even driven one?
Doubtful.

Or are you just grinding an ax over "pin code banditry"?
You nailed it on the head. It infringes on his income opportunities.

Volvo put into place the lock out presumably to protect sales of their own branded Polestar tunes, which is unfortunate, but a reality. MTE, RICA and others will eventually figure out a way around it, without having to have the ECU in house to circumvent Volvo's lock out. No one will want to pull the ECU and send it to a tuner,
it's too inconvenient. There is a market, tuners will just have to figure it out, if they want sales.
I am curious to know if Mercedes should be giving out the same PROPRIETARY info on their AMG ECUs, BMW on the M ECUs, Audi w/ the S and RS lines, etc. You catch my drift.

#43 ·
Is any performance tuning available for the US S60 R-Design (325 HP model) that would be safe (from a mechanical reliability perspective) and also not void the warranty?
I suspect that 325 HP is the maximum safe value already (w/o other expensive modifications of course), or is there more to be had?
Perhaps some more knowledgeable folks can comment.

This post has been deleted
#47 ·
Yup, I noticed that wrong assumption i made after but thought that weird given it was a measurement done in EU in metricville. For that reason and redundancy with your post, I deleted my post while you had a reply inflight. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.