SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Going to have a Polestar for a couple of hours Thursday

9K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  JRL 
#1 ·
If I want, and the weather cooperates I can have my dealer's Polestar for a couple of hours on Thursday
It already has over 1000 miles so it's all broken in and ready for me.
I hope it doesn't rain...:beer:

#4 ·
lol, and this is why I would never buy a demo. I am not saying you personally would be abusive, but demo's tend to get pushed hard by a lot of different drivers who have no vested interest in the longevity of the car. On the other hand, it is a demo, have fun with it. I'll be interested in hearing your feed back.

#6 ·
Pictures?
What the hell for, it's just another black V60 PS, you've seen one, you've seen them all
As for abuse, not me.
Just going to drive it, not many good roads to have fun around here anymore

#15 ·
Who me?
Probably not.
I think I'm finally too old and my health is not terrific to have something like this for a daily driver.
A bit too harsh (with our rough/awful PA roads) and possibly a bit too loud for every day usage but I think speculation on this is silly.

I'll answer the question AFTER I have some drive time in one.

#12 ·
Dare or no dare, it is not happening with this car unless there is snow on the ground and even then, you will not be able to do donuts. Not with ESC full on ;)

#10 ·
If its cold and wet you might be able to get those summer tires to slide a little. :D

#11 ·
This car is all about complete control, all the time, regardless of weather. It's the most confidence inspiring car I've ever driven. I agree, donuts, sorry.

#13 ·
If I only had a couple hours on the car I would focus purely on handling and suspension. The combination of the chassis and the Öhlins dampers on this car is by far the most beautiful piece of engineering it has going. You being a car guy, you will get it.

#16 ·
Someone tell this guy about me.
I've owned just about every car on the planet when I was young, I've owned over 150 PERSONAL, (not resale), cars. I drove older Ferraris as my daily drivers in the 70s.
However, when you get to be 70 (next month for me :() things start to fall apart so stiff, fast cars are not the greatest thing in life anymore.... all of a sudden, comfort is!
While I still like them, love them, it's now a once in a while deal for me, on a good day when my body can take it.

#19 ·
You wish you had it now!

#18 ·
Zero hour is around noon (just confirmed)
The weather is crisp, 45-50 degrees at noon and sunny
Should make good HP! :thumbup:

#21 · (Edited)
Well that was fun.
What a car!:eek:

To the buyer who gave his back at 350 miles...Are you completely nuts?!!! :facepalm:
First the exhaust in Sport Mode is perfect, not too loud, just right.
Seats are very comfy and are near perfect as are all (well just about all) the ergonomics.
I found one weird issue, the turn signal and wiper stalks are 1/2" too close to the driver.
I found myself pulling on them (especially the left one) instead of the paddle shifter. :(
I'm sure after a while I wouldn't, but just a bit more spacing for fat hands would be better.

For only 350 hp, damn thing is very quick and for the most part the ride was just fine
It does get a bit choppy on certain smooth roads which is a bit odd since it seems to be very smooth over rougher roads.

My old, but well sorted out, V70Rs compared to this car feel downright crude, rough and unfinished.
I decided to bring it back after an hour and a half or so or I would have just kept on going....:cool:

I got to the road I wanted to drive on, got her airborne twice and all in all it was just a blast :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Compared to the Polestar, these two (below), felt like garbage scows! Rattly shaky, clunks and bangs over poor roads etc etc!

#28 ·
It does get a bit choppy on certain smooth roads which is a bit odd since it seems to be very smooth over rough roads
There is a very good explanation for this, and -the- single biggest reason I'm buying the car. That being the 'trick' Ohlin dampers with two stage valving consisting of a blow-by valve behavior that allows for extremely fast wheel motion over big hits, followed by immediate control of the rebound motion slowing that back down. Small road irregularities won't activate that so you feel what you described as choppiness over that level of road irregularities.

Glad you loved it. Only a few more weeks for mine if the original delivery is held to.

#24 ·
Thanks for the review on the Polestar. It is good to read actual user's reviews rather than just the magazines. I have a car on order and it suppose to arrive around Thanksgiving. I am going to give it a good test drive before I will the trigger.... I have never owned a Volvo before so I am a little nervous about the decision. The quirk that I noticed driving a regular S60 has the steering wheel couldn't be pushed close to the dashboard, seems like it sticks out kinda far...? Maybe it would just some time to get use to it.

#25 ·
They do telescope
A wheel is not supposed to be too close to the dash these days, with airbags, etc
Besides with these cars general driving position (which BTW is EXCELLENT) it really wouldn't work to well that way.

#26 ·
Forgot to mention that these are numbered like a Ocean Race except rarer
This was V60 #7/80

#27 ·
I don't know that I'd call a V70R a garbage scow in comparison, but the Polestar is light years ahead of it. On so many levels the Polestar is more refined, composed and a more capable car,especially when pushed. My criteria for a keeper, "Is it fun to drive?" Yes, it's a car you will love to spend time in, for me that's the bottom line.

#29 ·
I've owned my two V70Rs for a total of about 7 years.
I've sold about 30-40 of them so I can say that and still will

BTW #7 V60, this one I drove today, is for sale.

If anyone may be interested, PM or email me and I will put you in touch directly with the owner of the dealership.
I have no idea what he will want for it, perhaps now that it has 1100 miles he may discount it a bit. (It's literally as new, not a mark on it inside or out)

#30 ·
I just thought the comparison was a little harsh, but you would know better than I. I have only had limited time in a V70R, and I didn't think it was that bad, in comparison, you are right, the V70R is rough and less refined.

#31 ·
Jim has this comparison correct. Even with my sorted out R, it feels absolutely clumsy compared to this car. I switch between the two often. I cannot imagine how bad it would be if the R was stock, probably unbearable. It's not just the suspension, the chassis on this is light years ahead of the P2. I then compare it to our 135 with the M package. Same thing, this chassis is FAR more refined, and that is saying something. Everything about this car is better than the BMW, everything. This is one of the beauties of the P*, it tricks out that great chassis and couples it to a world class suspension setup. It's very special and I almost cannot believe my fortune in having one.

#35 ·
I can't answer about the tranny but the Polestar shifted very quickly and precisely. Flick the lever and it sifted "boom, like that"!
It did not get confused
For a street car it was very smooth (being an auto and not a Dual clutch manual).
I'm sure every once in a while it gets messed up but for those 40 odd miles I drove it, it never faltered and was one of the most pricise automatics I ever drove.
I've not driven any of the other brand new ones (7-9 speeds) so I don't have a comparison. I hear the MBZ auto tranny is also pretty darn good.

As for the shocks, the GM magnetic shocks are pretty darn good.
I drove a CTS-V over the same roads last year, the ride and handling was a smidgen better/smoother, but the Polestar stuck a bit better I suppose because of it being AWD.

#36 ·
Nice to hear the Polestar tuning made such a huge improvement to the transmission responsiveness. The ZF automatics that BMW has been using lately receive all kinds of kudos, and I don't recall reading anything positive in the press about Volvo's 6-speed that's singing its swan song in the Polestar.

I would still prefer a traditional manual, though I'll readily admit the 8-speed in my 550 bangs through gears much faster than I could ever shift manually.

After 7 months with the car I finally almost put my foot through the floorboard trying to push the non-existent clutch while leaving a drive-thru. After driving nothing but sticks my entire life, the sequence of pushing in the clutch before engaging a gear is deeply ingrained in my brain. Just can't believe it took that long to actually do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.