SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Winter Tires & Wheels listed!

14K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  rebelde azul 
#1 ·
The fruits of my labor have finally paid off. Just in time, it snowed in Chicago this morning!

http://www.tirerack.com/

Have at 'em, boys!

#3 ·
Quad Berlin made the cut! :thumbup: As I'll need to drive to Stowe VT soon after getting #41, will have to buy a wheel+tire set to have on hand for the day of the car's delivery.

Much thanks to you Polestar for helping this small community in a big way.

#14 ·
TR didn't list the TPMS sensors either. Don't forget that dry cold pavement is almost as dangerous as snowy cold pavement. Summer tires aren't meant for temps below 40F; wet or dry.

#7 ·
As posted in the other winter wheel thread the price in my country is €2475 with the Michelin Alpin A4 XL tires excluding the TMPS system which is another €339. Both excluding 21% sales tax btw. I guess the TPMS option are sensors which need to be added inside the wheel.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
I love the BBS SR wheels in Machined/Matte Black finish; I actually used the V60P image to see how they would look on my V60RD and I love them!

#18 ·
Both 235/40 and 245/40 will work with 19" wheels. The narrower tire will be more effective in snow, that's why it's the recommended size by the factory. TireRack is correct in listing both sizes though, they'll both work and many will opt for the wider tire. This is the best thread in this entire forum right now. Thank you Poletar and Tirerack for helping get us some options for the winter months ahead, especially since Volvo and Polestarofficial are asleep at the switch.

#19 · (Edited)
For anyone with questions about tire size outer diameters, I like to use this comparison tool: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Use the "COMPARE TIRE SIZES" column. But first enter our stock 20" tire size as "By stock tire size of the tire you want to profile". Then add some alternate 20" or 19" sizes and press compare. For example: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire...35R20/245-40R19/245-45R19/235-40R19/235-45R19

p.s. You'll find 245/40R19 to be the best minus size. The speed variance is the least at 0.13% too fast, and sidewall height is the 3.86 in vs. 3.38 in for the stock 20" rim tire; an extra 1/2" of sidewall rubber is great to have in pothole season.

I know many will disagree, vehemently, but I'd like to go go for 245/45R19 or 235/45R19 to get me 4.34 in or 4.16 in sidewall (preferably the latter). But it doesn't seem those sizes are available. Can check if Nokian makes it, which tire-rack doesn't sell tho.

#20 · (Edited)
Why would you use a too big and heavier tire?
If Polestar has tested and given the OK for a dimension, it means that it fits perfectly.
There w'll be enough space for the Michelin Easy Grip snow device to, by using 235/40R19.
I got mine today, the 19" Polstar Rims, with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, noice is like the Super Sport and handels very well on curving Mountain roads. 245/45R19 is 3.47% to big, your speedo will show a lower speed, then you drive, that is not allowed, at least over here.

#23 · (Edited)
@tomoldi, thought I made why clear... for sidewall height. And also as stated, I expect many to disagree. Chalk it up to me having lost over $10K to broken/bent rims over the years. (Are you sure your speedo is accurate? Every new car is about 4-5mph too fast @60mph these days, to stay in compliance with requirements to not be slow. So there is actually room to go oversized and still have the speedo read too fast).

In retrospect I'd never go with the oversized height with 245 section width. The combo, in conjuction with winter wheel's lower offset which pushes the outside of the rim out, is likely to rub. I would however go with the 235/45-19 in a heartbeat, if any of the tire makers I would consider were to offer it. They dont.

Johann, the context of this thread is rims TireRack's measurements determined will work. As a lower offset for a non deep dish spoke design (where the spokes are flush with the front of the rim) actually means there is more distance for the front spokes, I expect it will. We'll have confirmation shortly I imagine.

GLad you got them Polestar. I was thinking about them too. Too bad they're in short supply with TireRack reporting less than 4 now. Looking forward to your next posts after mounting.

#25 ·
Johann, the context of this thread is rims TireRack's measurements determined will work. As a lower offset for a non deep dish spoke design (where the spokes are flush with the front of the rim) actually means there is more distance for the front spokes, I expect it will. We'll have confirmation shortly I imagine.
In theory yes, in practise this isn't guaranteed.. The back spacing, clearance for calipers, might measure OK at the widest point but many aftermarket rims have a very tapered shape on the inside toward the center of the rim where a pretty square shape is needed. As an example take a look at the Volvo Pegasus 18x8 ET46 rim. It clears the OEM R Brembo calipers comfortably while Imitation Pegasus 18x8 ET43 rims won't fit.

I believe the official size of the 19" Polestar rim is 19x8 ET50. The MSW(OZ) 26 uses ET45 AFAIK. Hope they do not taper that much on the inside.

#24 ·
They scanned and measured my car for wheels and tires for all of us. If they don't fit, they will have to take care of that. I tool the type 26 because I wanted black painted wheels for winter. If they get damaged, I can just respray them.

Now you're making me nervous about them fitting over my brakes.

#30 ·
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, excellent drive, on wet and dry, there is n't much snow left, of what we got this week, even up in the mountains.
These look great! According to the chart you posted previously, the 245/40-19's appear to be the best option... Is this the size you chose (have pictured)? They sure look like 245/40's with the meatier sidewall...

#42 ·
I ordered aftermarket wheels from TireRack.com. MSW type 26s as I've detailed somewhere around here. I'm also have the oil changed to get all of those metal shavings from the turbo cleared out. I'll let you know after this evening when I've picked it up.

I ordered these:

and I put them on 235/40R-19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 270 XL. I even ordered Tire Totes for the summers.

I took it for a good wash at 6 AM today to make sure that the wheels were clean going into storage so that I wouldn't have brake dust sitting on them all winter. I'm pretty excited to drive it tonight!

#43 ·
It really is time for on-vehicle pictures from those of you that got them mounted ... Cheers! :beer:

Getting my car at the end of this week, and I'm having my order from TireRack shipped right to the dealership. I may not even get to drive mine with the summer tires and 20" rims.

My set came in quite affordable:

19x8.5 Quad Berlin MGS @ $996.00
Modified 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensor @ $264.00
245/40R-19 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 Asymmetric XL @ $1,180.00
includes Tire Rack Road Hazard Protection Included ($92.48 value. Exclusions apply.)

Item(s) Total: $2,440.00

#48 ·
It really is time for on-vehicle pictures from those of you that got them mounted ... Cheers! :beer:

Getting my car at the end of this week, and I'm having my order from TireRack shipped right to the dealership. I may not even get to drive mine with the summer tires and 20" rims.

My set came in quite affordable:

19x8.5 Quad Berlin MGS @ $996.00
Modified 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensor @ $264.00
245/40R-19 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 Asymmetric XL @ $1,180.00
includes Tire Rack Road Hazard Protection Included ($92.48 value. Exclusions apply.)

Item(s) Total: $2,440.00
I got the same quote, except with shipping, tax, and duties, it was only a couple hundred bucks less than getting the BBS SR 19x8.5 that I ordered with the same tires that you got.
I decided to just go ahead and order them from my local shop as they take good care of me.

Really glad you got such a nice set up for such a good price, please do post pics :)

#45 ·
That looks HOT!
Makes me consider powder coating the 20" wheels, when #39 finally arrives here in Texas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.