SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

#30 V60 has arrived!

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  hensonje 
#1 ·
I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I'll try and post some pictures when I get it!

#3 ·
Oh, #22 RB may make an appearance during my delivery tomorrow.

I went by the dealership today to make sure all goes smoothly tomorrow. They found my wheel locks, and will do the map software update, vin etching, and environmental protection prior to delivery. I also bought the interior LED dome lights, and they will put them in for me tomorrow.

Enjoy it tomorrow,

#8 ·
I thought I'd share some early driving impressions. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet and this may be redundant with what some of you have already written, but here we go:

Disclaimer: This is my first luxury car. I've been driving a Scion tC up to this point and have had a few other economy cars. So if the comparisons I make seem kind of extreme, that's why.

1. The car's ride is very stiff. I don't think I was ready for how firm the ride would be. I haven't decided if I like it or not yet, but I'll have a better idea in a few days.

2. Most of my time behind the wheel has been sitting in stop-and-go DC rush hour traffic. That's sad, considering this car's purpose but it did give me a chance to try out the adaptive cruise control. It's the best one I've ever used. My dad has had Lincoln's with this feature, and the Volvo's is head and shoulders above this. For example, the Polestar will stop the car completely and then start up again, meaning you never need to use the brake pedal. Lincoln's system cuts out the cruise if you drop below 25 mph. Another nice feature is that the car accelerates to your set cruise speed when you turn on your signal to switch lanes.

3. When I did get the car up to freeway speeds, it felt very firm and planted and was very serene to drive (in D) when the road isn't bumpy. I obviously haven't tapped the car's potential, but that will come later. The car really goes wherever you point it.

4. I took my wife on a quick ride in it an she liked it. Her chief complaint in my Scion was how uncomfortable the seats are and how they have no support for her head. She's 5'1" and her head didn't touch the headrest in the Scion. She's very comfortable in the Volvo and loved the seats. She didn't seem to mind the stiff ride, either. I agree that the seats are the best I've ever experienced in any car, anywhere.

Overall, I love this car. It's presence is much more than any photographs do it justice. The sound is wonderful and I love the Rebel Blue paint. I'll try and post some more impressions as I get more experience in the car.

#9 ·
You'll get used to the firm ride, but you always have the option to adjust it softer.

#10 ·
Now this may just be my experience with cars that have firm suspension. But my experience with the Polestar doesn't completely jibe with yours. It makes me wonder if this is another case where the prep team did not remove the shipping spacers. Here is why... Also, full disclosure, I have not driven the car with the stock rims & tires. I had my snows put on right away, as I needed to drive immediately to upper VT. The tires were around 37, 38 psi.

I do agree that on mostly smooth roads, at lower speeds, small irregularities and expansion joints are a bit jarring. But less so than my other performance vehicles.

But the bigger the hit [hole or bump], the smoother the Polestar's Ohlins are. The dual flow blow-by valving really works; it meets and exceeds my expectations. Just a few miles into my 300+ trip to upper Vermont, I needed to drive on the East River Drive to 'escape' NYC. It was like I was driving on clouds. Never, ever, did I drive a vehicle that soaked up that extremely [insanely] bumpy road. The whole ride infact was the most compliant yet controlled and tight of any car I've ever owned.

So all this is just to say if you are feeling that large irregularities [holes, bumps, drains] at highway speeds are really jarring, it could be the shipping spacers are still affixed.

Another thing to look at. Check your tire pressure. I forget who the poster was that said it, but he said there was a big difference in firmness & comfort between the tires at 36psi vs. 38 psi.

Hope you get to get out and away from that traffic. Delivery day I drove from not too far out on LI into NYC. Trafficy, Meh, but I did get to appreciate how incredible the dual flow Ohlins are, and suspension et al. Next day I drove 300+ miles on the highway; a real joy. Next days I drove local mountain road, and or dirt and/or completely snow covered roads. It was just what the doctor ordered! Hope you get to do it soon too.

#11 ·
Thanks for the insight. I remember now reading about this earlier on this forum. Is there a way I can check this myself or do I have to go into the dealership to get this checked? I drove it some more today and I feel like I'm getting used to the firmer ride.

#13 ·
I was driving some people home from a holiday party Saturday night. They had known how much I was looking forward to this car so one of them suggested we take it for a quick spin on the freeway. I popped it in sport mode and gave it some gas just as we entered a tunnel. I can't describe how amazing the sound was, but it gave me chills. The sound for me was second only to the 3.0 liter V10s from F1 around 2004. The more I drive this car the more I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.