SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Baldy trip and some new feature discoveries

6K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  dmon99 
#1 ·
Rain in Socal this past Saturday, so a quick trip up to Baldy where the rain had not arrived yet. First discovery, the car informs you when radar is disabled. There was too much rain and waterspray on the freeway, car puts up a notification rather boldly on the display. Can't use radar when there is a wall of water in front of you. Cruise control has different increments if you hit the plus/minus buttons in succession. Holding it you get 1mph increments, but with quick presses you get 5mph increments, very handy. Rain is also bad for speed limit display. This stereo is really really good. If you aren't sure, just put on AWOLnation, Sail. The accuracy and very impressive dimensions to the sound prove a well designed system, it really throws the sound all over the cabin. They've done an excellent job tuning the midrange and bass for good presence while staying within the limited power of the system. Unfortunately with the EQ settings, the benefit is limited to the front seats, those in the rear don't get all the effects. The car was of course once again very agile and loads of fun even at slow and tame speeds. We were going to hit California Speedway for a few hot laps, but the rain set in just as we got there so opted for a couple hotlaps as passenger in a ZO6 with a professional driver. That was insane. Crazy, absolutely nuts, car that pins you in your seat.

Back at home all safe. Washed and waxed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Be careful : The car might start to rust.. :)

You should have taken the P on the wet track. How many miles so far?

About the speed limit sign recognition. Funny things can happen. It can read speed limit signs from parallel roads.. Fun when the main road has higher speed limit. Also stickers on speed limit signs can do wonders. An official 60 km/h limit sign in my area always being recognised as a 40 km/h limit sign which isn't official. Should be 5, 10, 30, 50, 60, 80 or 90 km/h.
There is an official 40 km/h speed advice sign but it has a different shape and color.

You can change form ACC to CC by pushing and holding the ACC button. Switching back to ACC push the button twice.

#3 ·
Be careful : The car might start to rust.. :)

You should have taken the P on the wet track. How many miles so far?

About the speed limit sign recognition. Funny things can happen. It can read speed limit signs from parallel roads.. Fun when the main road has higher speed limit. Also stickers on speed limit signs can do wonders. An official 60 km/h limit sign in my area always being recognised as a 40 km/h limit sign which isn't official. Should be 5, 10, 30, 50, 60, 80 or 90 km/h.
There is an official 40 km/h speed advice sign but it has a different shape and color.
Its functions are way more advanced in Europe, vs US Volvos. Here, the car can only read speed limit signs and those have to be no further than 2 lanes from the car. In Europe, it reads different highway signs (i.e. end of current speed limit, entering highway, etc) and it will read many different sizes. Here, it has to be the standard size speed limit sign.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Radar is discussed on page 186 of the 2015.5 V60 Owners Manual. (online version)

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
There is a small speed limit sign in the lower right of the instrument cluster. As seen on the Performance theme:

#15 ·
I was just about to tell you that it is a feature that can be "deselected" with instructions on page 173 of the 2015.5 owners manual. Glad you already found it.

#21 ·
Yup, I love it. And works great. Most useful to me on single lane rural 'highways' that frequently change between 50, 40, 35 mph every few miles.

#23 ·
I agree overall it is a great feature. But better suited to other locales.

But I see the problem Rebelde has, the roads are just too big here in SoCal, with way too much traffic (vehicles often block sightlines). Both those items make the feature much less functional. It is far more often wrong, than right.

#25 ·
In my country the city or village name sign acts as a speed sign. Passing the sign means 50 km/h limit so the speed sign itself often isn't present anymore unless different speeds are at play. Volvo doesn't recognise the name sign as being 50 km/h.

#26 ·
Personally, I love having the speed limit right on the dash! Many times I have been on highways, and in the Northeast, the police seem to love to wait for speeders slightly after speed limits go from 65mph down to 55mph. Having the display on "elegance" there is also a little red dot on the speedo indicating the speed limit, and as that changes, I tend to see it more than I do as I look for the speed limit signs. It has saved me already!! Plus, on rural roads, I can look at the display, and know the speed, without having to look for the signs! Very handy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.