SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Comparison V60 P* ; Macan Turbo, RS4 Avant

6K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  madden 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

My mum's a car addict as well. Its time for her to buy a new car, so I currently get to drive a lot of awesome cars. She has a RS4 V8 since 2007. Before that, she owned the RS4 Biturbo. So it was obvious the first car we are going to testdrive is the (not so new anymore) RS4.

AUDI RS4 AVANT
It is the second time I drove this car. The first time, I really was overwhelmed how the car pulls. The second time not so much anymore, I don't know why (I did not have the Polestar then). It is just totally different than the Polestar. Its a V8 without a turbo. For everyday driving I think the Polestar is the better choice. The engine of the RS4 is more something for track use. It revs really high and pinches you in the seat. But its very nervous, it reacts immediately. Just telling from my personal feeling; I do not think, the RS4 pulls stronger than the Polestar (probably because it has less torque than the Polestar). It just pulls different, no delay, nervous, but it doesn't run out of breath.

The dual clutch is very nice. Instant shifting, faster than the Polestars slushbox. But I knew that one already. But what I really don't like is, that it also shifts automatically at the rev limiter, even when you are in manual. The Polestar doesn't do this, which I think is great. Another thing, that is different, is what happens the second after you shifted. The RS4 pulls seamlessly. The Polestar on the other hand, its like the shifts are "harder", its like the car pulls harder after each shift. Its hard for me to explain in english, I hope you get what I mean...
Overall, the dual clutch is better, but with one big minus, that it shifts at the rev limiter even though you are in manual.

Suspension in the RS4 is nice. But I think it does not turn in as nice as the Polestar. You can change the characterisic by a touch of a button. Of course this is cool, but somehow I like the mechanical version of the Polestar as well (even though I haven't change anything so far). The overall balance of the car is similar to the Polestar. It is more or less neutral and starts do understeer once you cross the limits. Very easy to drive. Almost no body roll, like the Polestar.

The Sound... Ok this is really nice. Especially the rev matching sound that it makes. While I think the sound of the Polestar in sportmode is from another world when accelerating hard or when you just cruise around in sport mode, the RS4 takes this to another level, but just when shifting back. Overall, I really like the sound of the Polestar better. It sounds meaner. Then again, this car did not have the sport exhaust option. Maybe I would change my opinion if it had the sport exhaust.

Interior is nice. Quality is definitely better than in the Polestar. Audi's just the benchmark in this category I think. They care about every little detail. But the Polestar does well. I do like the swedish interior. But the materials in the Audi are just a bit nicer. But I like the Polestar seats better. They are more comfy with the benefit of better lateral support than the Audi seats.

The RS4 looks really really good. It looks like it is made out of one piece. I really like that car. And it IS faster than the Polestar (even though it does not feel so). Nevertheless, I don't think it is worth CHF 40000.- more than the Polestar.

PORSCHE MACAN TURBO
First of all, I really don't like SUV's. They just don't make sense. Higher point of gravity, heavier, but no more space than a wagon. But my mum really likes that Macan and I have to say, it does look nice.

The engine is really nice. It has 400 HP, but the car is almost 200kg more than the Polestar. This results in similar performance. It pulls more or less the same as the Polestar. But everything happens kind of faster - hard to explain. I realized, everything harmonizes perfectly. I am pretty sure this is the best handling SUV on the market. You could drop the suspension by a touch of a button. But nevertheless, you are still sitting very high. I personally don't like that.

Like I already said, this car drives like a NON SUV. It is well balanced and the best part is this all wheel drive system. It is very rear biased!! A lot more than the AWD of the Polestar, even with ESC off. It was a bit damp and the car oversteered a lot (come on, this is a oversteering SUV!!:eek:) I loved it. Very nice. Other than that, the front had huge grip. Turn in is nice, especially considering its a SUV with a high gravity point (don't know if this is the correct english word for it, but I think you know what I mean). But overall, it is still a SUV. I think the Polestar handles as good, turns in better, but it does understeer more. It is hard to tell which one would be faster driving on public roads.

The PDK, oh my god, this is the best transmission I have ever driven. Ultra fast, very sharp, hard. I love it. BUT there we go again, it shifts at the rev limiter, even when you are in manual! Come on Porsche.... The rev matching is from another level. When you pull the paddle, there is like NO delay and the needle jumps immediately to the right rpm! It is really awesome, way better than the Polestar. Its like the PDK is a Usain Bolt and the Polestars auto is an old granny with a cane.

The car had the sport exhaust system. It is nice and it sounds really good when shifting, but like in the RS4, I like the Polestars sound better. The Porsche is not that loud. I expected more from the sport exhaust.

The interior is at the same level like the Audi's. It is all leather, even the dashboard. Very good quality, you know where your money goes I would say. Awesome looking steering wheel. But than again the seats... No, did not really like them. Not that good lateral support like the ones in the Polestar.

Overall, I am surprised. This car is awesome. Only Porsche can make an SUV feel like a wagon/sedan. Nevertheless, its the same with the Audi. I don't think it is worth CHF 40000 more than the Polestar....

I know, a lot of people would not believe me, when I say I would not want to exchange the Polestar for one of those 2 cars. Especially when I would say this in a Porsche or a Audi forum. But this is really the case. I love how the polestar handles and how it sounds. And I love the two different characters of it and its Q-car looks. None of the other two can do this. I think it is the better everyday car. I think the Polestar definitely can compete with these cars, even though we know at least the RS4 definitely is faster. And considering Porsche makes really fast and perfect cars, the Macan Turbo probably will be faster as well, even though its an SUV.

Next to come: Mercedes A45 AMG Shooting Brake:D (end of february)

PS: Sorry for my english... hope it is more or less ok...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your family's success! :)

Great, fantastic, read. Thanx for taking the time.

p.s. the words you were looking for in English in your "( ... )" note are "higher center of gravity".

#3 ·
Nice comments :)
A45 AMG will be loud as the P, but like every A-Class a very claustrophobic interior, some interior parts in low quality, I don't like the instrument panel and the, like a self attached pad, Infotainment screen.
Didn't drove a Macan yet, but think it won't be as fast as a P, it maybe feels, because of the higher Center of gravity.

#6 ·
Yes you are right. Anyway, its a Porsche and they just know how to make fast cars. Ive driven it, I bet it would be as fast as the Polestar on track, if not faster.

It seems like physics don't count anymore, just look at the new Nürburgring tracktimes they achieved with the new X5M and X6M... Don't get me wrong, I still think SUV's are nonsense, but I have driven that Macan Turbo, and it really is fast.

#7 ·
BTW, the video you posted I watched like 30 minutes ago. Just think of it, the Turbo is less than 5sec slower. If you transfer that on the similar timed KKH, the Macan will probably stay under 1.18
But than again, you can just compare the times performed at the same day under the same conditions.

Well, just found this on a SportAuto Test about the Cayenne Turbo:

"2,2 Tonnen, 550 PS und 1.15 Minuten - ganz ehrlich: Für Gusseiserne ist es erschreckend, zu sehen, wie gut diese Nicht-Sportwagen gehen und funktionieren. Wir verneigen uns vor den Herstellern, die die Physik austricksen. Aber wir bleiben natürlich dabei: Ja, sie sind böse. Aber nein, sie passen nicht in unser Beuteschema."

So much for that.

And I believe you saw that Tacho test on SRF? The Macan had the same time in the slalom like the Polestar. Screw that higher center of gravity:D

#8 ·
SUV's have fast track times, when they have a lot (more) of power and torque, because cornering is slower, they need to compensate it on the straight ..... and it feels!!! fast, on that higher drivers position.... and you need extremly wide, havy and expensive titres, adaptive suspension and, and .... to make a unsporty car feel sporty.... what for? Driving the kids to kindergarten or school, seems to me the most common use, while they "stand" in the way, on every cornering mountain road :D
If you drive one of these SUV's like a sports car, they need much, much, much more petrol, tires an brakes.
Even with Fredy, as a professional Racedriver, Tacho seems a bit unprofessional, testing cars on time, in a bumpy industrial area.

#12 ·
as I recall, you can tow with a Macan. How is the P re towing?...

again, this is a sport utility vehicle. If you can't tow with it, then it's not an SUV

It still may be cool, and great to drive, but it's not an SUV

#13 ·
Rrr, huh? You're calling the Polestar a SUV? Where did that come from?

#17 ·
I don't know. I got off on a tangent about towing. It was a stupid comment.

#19 ·
The V60P* was my first choice, failing that, the Macan would have been a still fun, alternative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.