SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2016 p*!

18K views 83 replies 30 participants last post by  Johann 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I have kinda mixed feelings about this. Part of the attraction of buying one of the first 80 was to have a super rare car. What's the point if they're going to make more? I had a CTS-V Wagon and they never bothered to number it... I mean.. why go through the trouble? It's a little misleading.

On the flip side, the more the better... because it opens up more aftermarket possibilities or at least the chances of some rise a little. More boost etc?

It would be nice if Volvo would at least not offer the two original colors on the the next batch... but I doubt they'll do much. So I guess that little # on my steering wheel is all that is going to make my car special... so much for that! lol

Oh, and probably won't help re-sale value down the road... not that I plan on selling it... :D

#3 ·
taken from a commenter on that web link:

Manufacturer: Congratulations on hurrying out to purchase your limited edition _____________.
Customer: Thanks. What is it limited by?
Manufacturer: The number of suckers lining up to purchase just about anything mass produced that claims to be limited.

HAHAHAHAHAHA:facepalm:

it is funny because Volvo pulled this before. I own one of the 400 "limited edition" C30 R-Designs for 2008. What did they do the next year? Make R-Design a permanent trim level.

#4 ·
I don't however think we paid a premium for the M of N badge, rather that was for the overall package. And I suspect the nextra run is the same $. So maybe if anything, the number plate on our cars will erase 1 year of depreciation compared to the 2016s; tbd.

Me, I prefer this body in white. But I'm not going to spend anymore to trade mine in for that.

#5 ·
My sales rep said my plates were ready... he also just said they took orders on 3 2016 p*'s... a blue, a black and a white. He said authorized dealers are all only going to be allocated 3 cars total.

Now, whether or not this is true, I have no idea... but that's what he said. I would have loved a white one... but whatever, still wish they had discontinued the original batch colors.

Every bit of marketing/reviews for this car included "Get yours quick, they're only bringing XX to the States!". I mean, why even number the damn things.

Maybe my steering wheel will be worth extra $$ someday, but the car won't. lol

#9 ·
but whatever, still wish they had discontinued the original batch colors.
They did discontinue one of the original batch colors, Black Sapphire is gone for MY2016 and will be replaced with Onyx Black. The three colors coming to the US-Market are Onyx Black, Rebel Blue and Ice White; I couldn't possibly ever see them discontinuing Rebel Blue on further Polestar models. The only reason we are even seeing 2016 P* vehicles is because of how well the first batch was received by the public and media; Volvo did say this was an experiment with the first limited run. Also worth noting that only the US-Market P* models were numbered.

#6 ·
I think I read somewhere there are 52 authorized Polestar dealers, so another 156 Polestars. Can someone confirm that? So, presumably a total of 276. Still pretty rare.
But, say this next batch sells out, make another? As others have said, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I'm glad they are making more available, it's an awesome car, and more people should get to enjoy it. On the other hand, so much for limited edition...

#10 ·
I heard Silver was also available

#11 ·
That's right I forgot about Electric Silver will also be available to the P* models.

#22 ·
i completly agree !!!

starting to fall in love with the new audi s6

used 1-2 years old cpo is the same price as a new polestar

apr reflash can put down 600hp and 600 torque, and run low 11s

there torque monsters !

#23 · (Edited)
The original comment didn't say Polestars would be as good as or compared to AMGs and M's and S's, just that it would be to Volvo what those sub-brands are to MB, BMW and Audi.

The base Volvo isn't considered in the same sentence as those three brands, either, so just like it is a step below them, Polestar would be a step below AMG, M and S. I personally think that is a great market space to occupy and if they continue with the current philosophy of intelligent, meaningful and carefully selected and reasonably economical mods, while skipping the over-hyped and over-priced marketing-based crap, I will remain impressed and a fan. Some of us would like performance over showmanship. The current P* provides better performance/$ than any of those other three, in my opinion.

Could Polestars (like the current one) help change the overall somewhat stodgy image of Volvo? Yes. Compared to attempts to do it with R Design? Yes. Will enough people agree to actually buy them? Not sure yet. Supposedly they were so popular in the US especially, but we still see them for sale. How/why are they not all taken already? Same in Canada. And we know sales are slow in some European countries with unfavourable taxation and price situations.

#25 ·
Supposedly they were so popular in the US especially, but we still see them for sale. How/why are they not all taken already? Same in Canada. And we know sales are slow in some European countries with unfavourable taxation and price situations.
Every situation is different. All the U.S. cars were sold.

The latest two cases, in Souhern California (separate thread), became available because one just arrived and the person who ordered it thought the exhaust was too loud; understandable and that happens when you buy a car you have not seen or heard before. My dealer found out about it and went ahead and acquired the car and it is now in their showroom.

The other one came back after a few months of ownership and that happens as well. I spent a year at a Mercedes-Benz dealership and it was not uncommon for someone to buy an AMG model and then bring it back a few months later for one reason or the other (selling it back to the dealer). Things happen in people's lives and, some times, necessitate changes.

#24 ·
People back out on car buying decisions all the time, especially if there is a wait involved. Situations change, so there are a handful left in the US. The new allotment will probably sell out in the US, especially now that there are more color choices. I really like the direction Volvo/Polestar are going in, let's hope they continue to develop and expand the brand. A lot of it depends on reception in the market, it's not going to happen overnight. A case in point, AMG was founded in 1967, the first official collaboration between Mercedes and AMG was the 1993 C36. Before that happened AMG built some pretty awesome Mercedes, Polestar did the same with their first concepts cars. AMG/Mercedes have been in the game a lot longer than Volvo/Polestar. Give it time. Is Polestar at the same level AMG is,at this point in time, no. But their first effort is pretty darn good.
Can they be? Who knows? Depends on corporate will, allocation of resources, market reception. It will be interesting to see the next iteration of a Polestar, a 450HP twin turbo, supercharged drive-E AWD? Or maybe a further refinement of the 3.0l inline 6 for Polestars only. Time will tell.

#31 · (Edited)
... so... you don't like it? :D Good to know where you stand. Educational and illuminating. Tho I don't love my car any less for it.

#34 ·
Educational and illuminating...:rolleyes:
Opinionated...:thumbup:

#32 ·
The V60 Polestar is a joke in the UK. Nobody is even interested in it for a start, and pricing it at £50,000 means that there is so much better to choose from. I don't think the interior or exterior of the Polestar is worthy of the price. I can't believe its not full leather as standard! Its more inline with a Focus RS and should be priced accordingly.

I've no sympathy for Volvo with this failure, they should have known better. At least the XC90 looks like a worthy product and will sell well.

#35 ·
The V60 Polestar is a joke in the UK. Nobody is even interested in it for a start, and pricing it at £50,000 means that there is so much better to choose from. I don't think the interior or exterior of the Polestar is worthy of the price. I can't believe its not full leather as standard! Its more inline with a Focus RS and should be priced accordingly.

I've no sympathy for Volvo with this failure, they should have known better. At least the XC90 looks like a worthy product and will sell well.
What a waste...instead of switching the steering wheel to the correct side of the car and sending them over here, where are they are way more appreciate and have more demand...
Lesson to be learned...and Focus RS my foot (for lack of using a more appropriate word); as great as the Focus RS is, the V60P and the Focus RS are two different cars, two different demographics and offer starkly different levels of sophistication.

#33 ·
don-

you seem to think people give a **** about the same superfluous subjects you do. i dont give a **** and your on high pedestal forum espousing what they obviously should do with car production is tiring. What is your provenance?

ken

#36 · (Edited)
Funny, I don't see owners of V60P's complaining, just a lot of people with diminishing credibility and hidden agenda's.

#37 ·
There you go...
Who cares if the ACTUAL owners love their cars and are happy driving them while they are probably finding excuses to make extra runs to the supermarket? :p

#38 ·
Love my P*.. and here in the US there's nothing else in the price range like it. As an Audi guy, who's owned 4 "S" cars, I can tell you there is not much here when it comes to AWD "Avants". Thank you Volvo for making this car. I was heart broken when all the Seattle allocations were spoken for and personally got lucky when one came available... now of course I find out I probably could have gotten a 2016 one, but whatever... I have it now and I love the car. I almost bought the E63 AMG wagon but I just didn't like the overall size/looks of it. Went Cayenne GTS instead and wished I hadn't. You guys in the rest of the world are lucky to have sporty wagons.. it's SUV land here in the States and we don't have much else to look at.

I hope Volvo continues... my first Volvo and I'm impressed.. give me an RS6 Avant option and maybe you'd get me to trade it in, otherwise, no thanks... this thing is awesome bang for the buck!

#40 ·
At today's conversion rate( 1 USD =1.522 GBP, 1 GBP= .657 USD) a 62,000 USD Polestar would be 40,734 GBP . Conversely, a 52,000 GBP Polestar would be 94,364 USD. The Polestar is a bargain here compared to the UK. Honestly, I would not have bought one for 94 K, so I can certainly understand some of the disgruntlement coming from the UK. I'm only half joking when I say most of the people in the US are poor, we need subsidized pricing to buy stuff. We have a consumer driven economy in a grossly unequal system, the top 1% hold 38% of the privately held wealth. Sorry, I'm getting off topic.
I don't know why prices are cheaper here, more competitive market? Even Canada on the same continent pays way more than we do. I'm not complaining, just curious how Volvo determines pricing for different markets.

#41 ·
I don't know why prices are cheaper here, more competitive market? Even Canada on the same continent pays way more than we do. I'm not complaining, just curious how Volvo determines pricing for different markets.
Being a Canadian living in the US and buying a US Polestar, well, I can't complain. :)

#43 ·
The V60 Polestar was CND$67K last year. I wouldn't be surprised if VCNA raises the Canadian price for 2016 considering the recent devaluation of the Canadian dollar.

#45 ·
Am I the only one in the US that paid $60,200 ? (minus prep and destination charge I believe)

#48 ·
That's the thing. I was told msrp was the 60200. I could have swore I read that on here too, or some other article on the 'net. Hmm. I need to dig out my paperwork. ...now where did I put that so I don't lose it. -lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.