SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Just curious if anyone else thinks the paddle shifters are too small

6K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  laundrypers 
#1 ·
I have always had manual transmissions, the Polestar is not, I don't really like using the paddle shifters, they are a little too small and it's hard to use them in a turn. I have found that I often resort to using the shift knob to shift in sport, forward + back -. Obviously you can utilize both. Heico sells some after market paddle shifters in blue anodized aluminum that look pretty trick that are substantially larger than stock. a little spendy, about 400.00 USD. Am I in the minority here who wish the paddles were a little larger?

#3 ·
I have had paddles on my M3s, and don't find the P* to be any different than the other cars. I use the paddle shifts daily!

I can tell you that I wish I had the paddles on my PDK, vs. the stupid buttons on the multi function steering wheel. Talk about making shifting impossible... I

#4 ·
Not I.

But I do just wish they didn't rotate with the steering wheel; truly disliked while turning.

And wish that there was more room on the left between the light stalk and downshift paddle. I've flashed many an on coming car instead of downshifting. Maybe a larger size would help there.

#7 ·
Me 2. Paddles should be where the hands are. Downshift before turn. Occasionally there might be a situation where shifting is needed during some weird steering action and in that case there's always the stick in it's fixed position.

#9 ·
I drive in manual mode always (Audi with 8 speed ZF auto) and a 90 degree turn out of an intersection is typically when I find the rotation of the paddles annoying, as you need to find the paddle to hit second gear. That said, I test drove a V60 R-Design before ordering my MY16 Polestar and noticed that you could select second gear from a stop. Does that carry through to the Polestar programming when driving in manual mode? I also noticed that the floor mounted gearshift action in manual mode was quite stiff and even squeaked a bit. It that typical or just a case of breaking it in? Thanks.

#12 ·
You can probably select 2nd and also 3rd gear from a stop.

#14 ·
Yes, paddles should be where your hands are, which is why race cars (rally, e.g.) that have wheels that turn more than 120 degrees use fixed paddles so they are always where you hands should be and not backwards or at odd angles where you have to think about which paddle is which. F1 cars and other open wheelers with very limited steering wheel lock use paddles because other than one turn in the entire season (at Monaco hairpin), you never turn the wheel more than 90 degrees unless you have thrown your car off the track.

Which one is more representative of a road car?

And don't get me started about the backwards stick shifter. I am sure Polestar would have changed that to the correct pull-back to shift up and push-forward to change down if they could have without so much electronics and labelling hassle. Kudos to Mazda for not following the stupid herd on this matter. And if you are going to argue about which is the correct way, think about when do you use manual shifting--in a parking lot or at a track? Spirited driving or on the Interstate? The orientation is there to match the momentum of your body under extreme braking.

#15 · (Edited)
Switching back and forth from the correct orientation on other cars to this one, I agree. Although I don't use the stick just paddles so it doesn't matter, but intuitively it should be opposite. I think of it like I do my motorcycle and bikes, one has a clutch and the others have a front brake there, so you just get familiar with the setup for each individual vehicle and it becomes second nature, once you are in the cockpit it shouldn't require a second thought.

Regarding size, I think they are plenty tall enough paddles. I can get a finger on them at any steering angle, although a bit awkward on 90 degree turns.

#17 ·
I like the size and position of the paddle shifters, but the space on the left side is slightly smaller than the right side; I brought this up at the last VCNA Owners Day to the techs.

#18 ·
The problem is I have driven at the 10-2 position forever, at the 9-3 position the paddles are perfect. At 10-2 I wish they were a little taller. Not really a big issue, I was just curious what everyone else thought. I'll get the Heico paddles and all is well. I know they now teach the 9-3 position because it's safer in an air bag deployment, back when I was taught 10-2, not gonna change, easier to change the paddles.

#20 ·
When my rebel blue S60 Polestar arrived in Sept. here in Canada I already had an aftermarket pair of anodized paddles bought from Germany for this car at dealer and they installed before delivery..they are very nice blue colour and matches up very sharp with interior and mush larger. I am blanking on company name but Newmarket Volvo in Newmarket,Ontario,Canada is only dealer in Canada so you could google them and find out. I should try to get a pic posted on here but will have to wait till I get home from Jamaica in a week tomorrow.

#22 ·
400.00 usd

#25 ·
The combination of my age, and shape, doesn't even allow me to get 180deg. So I just can't not shuffle the hands at times. Making a 90 degree or greater turn off a stop is where I curse the paddle style and really only then. In that I do that about a million times more than blasting around a track, I wish things were different. But just have to cope.

#27 ·
The combination of my age, and shape, doesn't even allow me to get 180deg.
Friendly suggestion - I'm making a guess here - try a seating position a little closer to the steering wheel.

If you extend your arm straight over the top of the steering wheel, your wrist should be resting on the top. If you have to lean forward to set your wrist on top, you're sitting too far away, try moving the seat closer and see if that helps your steering ability. Should you have a crash you'll definitely be glad you're not sitting too far away any more!

Making a 90 degree or greater turn off a stop is where I curse the paddle style and really only then.
So just use the console shifter if you need to shift during a sharp turn... :)

#32 ·
My S60 Polstar was just shy of 80K with taxes and options so I thought that 450. for the paddles from Heico wouldn't break me so I went for it..everyone really likes them that have seen them and I know I have only pair in Canada because Newmarket Volvo is exclusive Canadian dealer. You guys south of the border should see what deal he would give and with the dollar so strong for you would be much cheaper for you. I would put a picture of mine but would have to be from my i6 and I just don't have any luck posting pics...I'm not very sharp on those kind of things unless am shown and do it often so I don't forget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.