SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Has anyone done suspension adjustments on their V60 Polestars yet?

38K views 194 replies 22 participants last post by  Pvdw 
#1 ·
As Volvo is offering 2 complimentary Suspension adjustments with the P*, I'm wondering if anyone has taken advantage of them yet? I'm currently happy with the balance of the car from the factory. One behavior I would like to correct is a tendency to "float" on rolling hills. It almost has a feeling of air suspensions, specifically when hitting a bunch of rolling hills at highway speeds. Anyone else notice this? Anyone able to correct this with tuning?

#2 · (Edited)
Are they? Never heard this. :p. ... not surprising. Otherwise, I haven't fiddled w/it yet. Waiting to get the summer tires on for the 1st time.

P.s. I think I noticed what you state. I'm sure I got air once on a sharp crest in an area I drive spiritedly around a barren area thru a closed asylum complex where noone lives. I kinda thought it was due to momentum of all the mass (500lb and 1000lb more than the other cars I used to drive thru there) and how quickly it allows itself to be shot up to. :D

#3 ·
Volvo has asked each Authorized dealer to perform 2 complimentary adjustments. This is according to the one where I bought my car and confirmed by a separate one that will actually be doing my service because it's closer. This is the info they provided me.

The adjustable damping properties can be individually adjusted to 30 fixed positions. Basic setting is 10 clicks from bottom position. Position 20-30 have little effect on the shock absorber character as compared to positions 0-20. The adjustment is all turning a screw that internally affects the needle valve of the shock absorber. If the screw is turned counter-clockwise (for greater oil flow to the center of the piston) it will give a softer setting. Clockwise will produce the opposite affect. Hard setting for the front generally gives more understeer, while a hard setting in the rear will generally give more oversteer.

For track driving, a setting of 15 front and 5 rear is recommended. For a more comfortable character, position 15 is recommended for both front and rear.

The rear suspension requires full removal of the shocks and adjustment outside the vehicle is more easily done on a lift. You are welcome to discuss this process with the Tech when you come down for the adjustments. He is expecting the procedure for both front and rear adjustment to take a bit over an hour. Before you come in, think about what characteristic you would like to change and what you’d like to achieve with the vehicle. Since the front is easily accessible, we can make multiple adjustments for you during your two free services to try it out. The rear being less so, we are limited to only two changes.

#5 ·
Volvo has asked each Authorized dealer to perform 2 complimentary adjustments.
Odd, my purchasing agreement states 5, which was presented to me by my salesman early on.

#11 · (Edited)
One day you love the car and blast any that dare have a word to the negative. I.e. your behavior in the roof rack thread and other places (we will never be friends after your over the top behavior back in those days you got yourself banned as kcir and other sock puppets). And you're always posting screen caps of you miles and milage in whatever thread you choose with affermational words. Suddenly in no less than two threads you post "these car sucks" ... normal people do not exhibit this behavior. Please trade yours in for a bright blue something else and no longer piss all over the threads here. I look forward to that day.

#13 ·
Read through all of the other past posts to see the erratic comments made. Almost insulting to Polestar Official. Unprofessional, and a few of us, who haven't voiced our opinions, as of yet, are fed up. Exactly, keep this to the cars, experiences, questions, knowledge, and drop the "vague" remarks..

#14 ·
He is not going to learn, just all ignore this idiot.

Back to topic:

P50GT:
So you are shure it is doable without lifting the car? Could you take pictures when your tech is showing it to you?

I am still a bit confused about the different suggestions from Polestar. The brochure says 15/5 for trackdriving. But in the OfficialPolestar thread they suggest 15/5 for wet trackdriving. - so which one is it then?

#15 ·
I took out the part of the dealer's message that said they are going to show me how to do the front adjustment, so yes I am sure you can do it without the lift. I'll try to get some photos but it sounds like Polestar will be providing real photos and instructions when the tool comes out. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.

#18 ·
Hi folks,

The tool is nearing completion, sorry for the delay. The front is doable without the tool or even raising the car on a lift, although it will be easier on a lift. The tool will include instructions on how to adjust both the front and rear dampers. We will notify you guys here as soon as the tool is ready for order. Also, the settings we posted in the Q&A thread are valid and the ones developed for this car and dampers.

Kind regards,
Polestar

#19 ·
Great! Thanks for taking the time to respond. The one settings you have yet to confirm are the one for aggressive street driving, which is what the majority of us are doing. You spoke about softer settings for rough roads, but not this. One person, I think Marc Collins, had made some suggestions but you did not confirm them yet. Thanks again, much appreciated.

#27 ·
Yes there is and yes it was me who asked. The reason is that if you drive in places that don't value public roads and transport (98% of North America) as much as they do where you live, Foxy, a setting for rougher surfaces than a typical race track are needed. That's what some of us are stuck driving on all the time.

#22 ·
For some reason my car was set at 15 front, 8 rear from the factory. It is being changed to the standard 10/10 right now to try to alleviate the float in the front end. We'll see how the new setup, which was supposed to be the factory setup feels.

#23 ·
Didn't check yet. Pushed the car pretty hard a couple of times and noticed more understeering behaviour than expected. This with traction control on because disabling the TC often takes longer than the trip made.. Totally stupid decision to hide that function deep in the MyCar menu btw..

#25 ·
Both myself and the Volvo Tech are dumbfounded at how this tool is going to work for the rear. Neither of us can see anyway that the adjustment can be accessed without bringing down the shock, but neither of us are engineers. The front adjustments are super easy. Simply turning a dial. The rear adjustments are similar, except that the shock needs to be removed to access the dial. I'm very intrigued to see how this tool is going to work.

#26 ·
What about accessing from the interior behind the panel? The tool may reach in around to the adjustment knob.

#31 ·
One other thing, I was able to get a copy of the instructions for the adjustments, including diagrams. I will just need a little time to get my scanner working and to be given Permissions to "Post Attachments"

#32 ·
Thanx. If i understand you correctly ... They don't host images on this forum. You can only link to an image hosting service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.