SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Do I need chains? Can I use them even?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  George @ ViVA 
#1 ·
Living in Southern California it's rare we even need the all wheel drive here. Except of course in the mountains where we ski. I'm wondering if the summer tires that come with the polestar will be that slick on icy roads.

And if I do need chains will it be ok to put on my polestar? I'm asking because I've never put chains on a tire with a low profile sidewall and a 20" wheel.

I have driven in these conditions before without chains but that was in a diesel 4x4 with all terrains. I can take my truck on this trip I'm planning but I'd rather drive comfortably for 8 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Is there a snowflake on your tires? (I am guessing not.) If not, and if chain controls are in place, you likely need to have chains in the car. (Cable chains are what most folks use, I am told.)

Have you considered a second set of wheels with a set of snowies on them? That is an easy swap.

I hate using chains. But the new cable-chains are 100% easier than the old school approach.

#3 ·
The Michelin Super Sport definetly are n't the right tires on ice and snow. They are high performance summer tires.
What you need is a proper winter tire or those composite snow devices...

That's what's written in your Polestar Owners Manual:
Recommended 19” tires
19” winter tire:
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 235/40R19 (96H) XL Europe Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 235/40R19 (96H) XL Nordic studs
19” snow device: Michelin Easy Grip W12

With 20" weheels there isn't enough space for chains or snow devices.

#10 ·
The Michelin Super Sport definetly are n't the right tires on ice and snow. They are high performance summer tires.
What you need is a proper winter tire or those composite snow devices...

That's what's written in your Polestar Owners Manual:
Recommended 19" tires
19" winter tire:
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 235/40R19 (96H) XL Europe Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 235/40R19 (96H) XL Nordic studs
19" snow device: Michelin Easy Grip W12
Be advised that the Michelin Easy Grip snow devices are not approved for use on CA roads.

#5 ·
If the stock summer tires we got are anything like all my other extreme or ultimate performance summer tires have been, these tires would be dangerous, life threatening even, in any level of snow. I doubt chains would help if the rubber is on the road and sliding while you are trying to stop with all 4 wheels locked and the ABS doesn't engage as it doesn't realize you are sliding.

I say this as I have no reason to believe the grippiest summer tires at the present time that we have would be any different than the grippiest summer tires of old. Which failed to work at all from a 1/32 of an inch of snow or more.

If the road had even a little bit of salt and blacktop showing, they worked ok, but not great or safe at highway speed. If the road was not salted, with just a dusting of snow, my stopping distance from 30mph could be two to three hundred feet. It happened to me on multiple occasions with Michelin's, Bridgestone's, and Dunlop's best summer tires mounted, before I got the snow tires put on. It once happened to me with the snow tires in the car as I was trying to get to the shop to have them mounted.

Quite the pucker moment when following traffic at 30mph, giving 100 foot space, they stop and you can't .... coax the car into the left turn lane, slide past the line of stopped cars and into the middle of the intersection before stopping. That was the Bridgestone S01 or S02. Maybe our Michelin's will give us some tiny level of better snow grip, when coupled with awd (tho not that that does anything for stopping ). Would love to know. But as none of my previous summer tires did, I won't chance it.

#8 ·
I had the experience of both the 20" Pilot SS and the 19" Pirelli Sottozero II in the snow and ice. There is no comparison. The Pilots are equivalent to skis or ice skates in the slightest wintry mix. I was parked on a hill, and the car started sliding down on its own. In about an inch - 2' of snow in the driveway led to getting stuck. Doing the same task with the winter set up, this is a completely different car. I have the utmost confidence driving now with the winter setup vs. the Pilot SS. It was downright dangerous!

If the stock summer tires we got are anything like all my other extreme or ultimate performance summer tires have been, these tires would be dangerous, life threatening even, in any level of snow. I doubt chains would help if the rubber is on the road and sliding while you are trying to stop with all 4 wheels locked and the ABS doesn't engage as it doesn't realize you are sliding.

I say this as I have no reason to believe the grippiest summer tires at the present time that we have would be any different than the grippiest summer tires of old. Which failed to work at all from a 1/32 of an inch of snow or more.

If the road had even a little bit of salt and blacktop showing, they worked ok, but not great or safe at highway speed. If the road was not salted, with just a dusting of snow, my stopping distance from 30mph could be two to three hundred feet. It happened to me on multiple occasions with Michelin's, Bridgestone's, and Dunlop's best summer tires mounted, before I got the snow tires put on. It once happened to me with the snow tires in the car as I was trying to get to the shop to have them mounted.

Quite the pucker moment when following traffic at 30mph, giving 100 foot space, they stop and you can't .... coax the car into the left turn lane, slide past the line of stopped cars and into the middle of the intersection before stopping. That was the Bridgestone S01 or S02. Maybe our Michelin's will give us some tiny level of better snow grip, when coupled with awd (tho not that that does anything for stopping ). Would love to know. But as none of my previous summer tires did, I won't chance it.

#6 ·
Do yourself a favor and get a set of snow tires if you are going to use chains. Michelin Super Sports are not to be driven in anything resembling cold weather. They are amazing tires in the proper conditions, which is well above freezing. Take your truck or get some proper tires.

#7 · (Edited)
The amount of time I will be in snow will not justify buying a set of snow tires. Especially because here in Southern California it is so rare that they will be needed.

Thank you for all the advice on the ice and snow. I'll go back to my 70 degree weather right now!

#9 ·
The amount of time I will be in snow will not justify buying a set of snow tires. Especially because here in Southern California it is so rare that they will be needed.

Thank you for all the advice on the ice and snow. I'll go back to my 70 degree weather right now!

IF that's the plan, then don't take your Polestar to the mountain areas. Chains will ruin those rims (and would undoubtedly be a royal pain in the @** since there's so little wheel gap). The stock tires are also hopeless on snow, so there's little hope of using them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.