SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Polestar made to Yahoo front page

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  newvo 
#1 ·
#2 ·
good to see Yahoo catching up to LAST YEAR.

#3 ·
Good write up!

#4 ·
The handling story is also rife with inconsistencies: lateral grip is impressive up to about eight-tenths, but unless you romp hard on the gas, understeer becomes a force to reckon with. The Polestar's 80 percent stiffer springs and high-performance Öhlins shock absorbers make for a surprisingly brittle, kids-will-drop-their-juice-boxes kind of ride. Perhaps most egregious for the enthusiast driver is the steering, which is loyal but lifeless.

Really?

And there is already a thread for reviews where this appeared.

#9 · (Edited)
That's sad, but even that should be included in a review to forewarn purchasers. Just like the numb steering feel.

Or, if GrecianVolvo is correct, one might suspect that the ESC OFF Haldex programming was extended to S or even to D. But we can't have no significant understeer and too much understeer in the same car with the same settings.

The last possibility is that the press car has very firm and "backwards" damper settings designed to induce MORE understeer. It is easy to do that, even though no one should want to. But if I had a rare press car that was going to be driven hard by less than skilled no-nothing journalists, I might just go for the extra safety approach. This is assuming I prefer to keep the car intact more than worrying about bad reviews due to an understeering car.

Something is not adding up here...

#17 ·
No question I feel the difference with ESC OFF. Noticeable more "push" from the rear when accelerating. Having said that, it's obviously not the same as a true rear-wheel drive feel since a good amount of power still flows to the front wheels. And it annoys me to almost no end that we have to scroll through menus to turn ESC OFF...really wish there was a shortcut, but that's a different story we've all covered...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.