SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2016 XC90 Engine Noise???

13K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  BT_XC90 
#1 ·
Question For Someone who has actually Driven the 2016 XC90..... or has driven another model with that exact engine(understand there are some of the same running XC60s)...! Is this a QUIET engine? The reason for my question is 4 cyls' engines tend to be 'louder', and more 'brash' than say most 6cyl 'smoother' engines. My current Glk350 is Quiet, even when stomped on! My need is for a larger vehicle than can transport more, but still have the luxury, convenience, safety, and SILENCE that this SUV offers. I have owned and driven many older style (60,70,80s) style Volvos, loved them, beat the hell out of them, but I'm getting older and the cabin silence is appreciated! I have test driven quite a few new SUVs... X5, nice, smooth, but seats don't fold flat(need flat for dog crate), MDX, good space but MDX forums for the last 2 years are complaint nightmares...., Lexus RX too small, and ugly 'jellybean' look, Audi and MB ML, lot of addon accessories meaning too Much $$ for what you get! I'm really liking the new XC90, pissed off that I can only see pics, as delays have beset the factory. We travel alot, cottage, Canada > Florida annually, etc
So, simple question to those that have experience the XC90's engine... How Quiet are they? Will it be worth the wait?

#3 ·
I have driven numerous XC60 T6 and S60 T6 models; there is very good insulation in the engine compartment that results in this engine being very quiet. You should go to your local Volvo retailer and try one out or don't they stock T6 Drive-E models?

#4 ·
I would agree with the others in saying that the engine noise (from the S60 T6 I drove) was very quiet. However, whatever noise was being made was not a particularly pleasant sound, especially on a cold start. You almost never forget that it's a 4cyl engine and just about every V6 application in a luxury or near luxury application sounds better. In my view, this won't pose a problem in the XC90's market. The GL450 and Audi Q7 sound/will likely sound better, but I don't think it matters THAT much for buyers. Volvo will have a tougher time convincing buyers of sports sedans that their 4cyl are just as appealing as the sweet sounds of an Audi S4 and BMW 335i (soon to be 340i).

#5 ·
I would agree with the others in saying that the engine noise (from the S60 T6 I drove) was very quiet. However, whatever noise was being made was not a particularly pleasant sound, especially on a cold start. You almost never forget that it's a 4cyl engine and just about every V6 application in a luxury or near luxury application sounds better.
The sound is not too bad from inside the vehicle , but you can easily tell the 4 from outside. I am actually disappointed that Volvo did not have the xxxx to put 4 Bi T ot 4TT (tri turbo) or some more appropriate badge than calling them T6's ! Do they think the public is so dumb that they would somehow buy the XC based on what the badge or the ads say?

#7 ·
"Volvo made a change"! Just to be like the competition? To me, if this is not "deception" ... it is at least "inconsistent" with the past nomenclature; and "confusing".

#10 ·
I'm more concerned about an engine's smoothness in terms of vibration through the steering wheel etc. than its sound. V6 engines, particularly with 90 degree vees, are not necessarily smoother than fours, but the jury's still out on the XC90's engine smoothness. Certainly BMW's I8 three cylinder engine is said to both feel and sound like a good straight six.

#11 ·
some good thoughts... thanks. I had hoped that there would be a Volvo(with exact engine) down here(visiting Fort Myers), but unfortunately they have sold them. Sales has my tel# should one come in to test drive, or upon my return to Canada, will set up to drive one there. I just don't want to wait .5 year and find out it wasn't even a close decision. I've been spoiled, and not going to accept less... LOL!

#12 ·
Engine noise is poor at tick over compared with a six cylinder, the tyre noise on this model is very bad. The ride is pretty awful compared with the Q7. Volvo have really made a good looking car but it is sub standard in many respects. I had one for six months, gave up and bought a Q7!

#13 ·
Yes, Q7 is definitely more refined, more silent inside and gives more sophisticated softer ride .. In all the other aspects XC90 is better ;) In a few days I shall get my new XC90 2017 D5 (after having 2016 XC90 that collapsed). I heard that the new engine in MY2017 is more refined and more silent (and also more powerful), I am really curious ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.