SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Will Polestars be Future Classics?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  JCN 
#1 ·
I've seen a few recent articles that make predictions on which current cars will be future classics. None have mentioned the Polestars, and I'm curious whether this forum thinks the 2015-2016 Polestars will be sought after 10 to 25 years from now. It's hard to predict of course, and this early into the run we don't know for certain what future productions will bring, but I think it's interesting to think about. My view is the cars have a good chance of being highly collectible given their performance credentials and scarcity.

#2 ·
no. because they are making more this year....and more after that.

#3 ·
The total number is still well below any market amount that other classic cars have been produced at. Sorry, but if anyone thought the numbering scheme was worth more than the little sticker...

It could be a classic because: a) it's the last of the I-6 line for Volvo; b) new Polestar models MAY eventually gain the market credibility of an AMG; c) people in the future may assess that this size and configuration of car, loaded-up with good quality mods, is superior to something like the Challenger Hellcat; d) they hold together better than average reliability-wise. Assign your own likelihoods to each of those.

It is unlikely to be a classic because: a) it's a Volvo; b) it's the last of the Ford-based Volvo's; c) the main reason there are so few of them is because there are so few freakoids like us willing to actually shell-out for one...so it's not a universally or even widely drooled-over car; d) Volvo may slide into oblivion in the next few years; e) the next generation Polestars will be even better/faster/cooler than this one.

#4 ·
Well, if Classic Car magazine would write an article naming the Mercedes Benz C43 a future classic (at least a decade ago), I can't imagine why the Polestar would not qualify. 500 C43s arrived each yr in the USA alone in 98 and 99 (fewer, special order only in my2000). Globally thousands were made. The Polestar numbers, ignoring the US numbering, is still far less.

And this is a better vehicle by orders of magnitude than that. Tho that does not always/often? factor into 'classic' status; there are a lot of weird and bad considered a classic. BUT given the numbers, and level of performance achieved (and the Swan song for the 6-cyl), my opinion is this car will be very desirable and may become 'a classic'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.